Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T Need advice please

O/T Need advice please

Old Dec 19th 2001, 5:03 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had this problem before with my family when i was in the USA last time.

My mother back in England was the one who got me deported the last time as i overstayed my visa, with complaints to the INS and to the local PD that i was part of a religious cult. She accused my now husband and then friend of being a cult leader. She even sent out the child protection team to where i was staying saying that my child was in danger. They left saying that there wasnt any signs of abuse.

I had to get a solicitor in the UK to get her to stop harrassing me and my son (he was petrified of his nan) and to stay away from us. There are numerous letters that i have from my solicitor i have bought them back to the US with me, showing that there is a problem with this issue and my mother.

I have not had any contact with my mother now for 2 1\2 years even though she did only live less than 5 mins from my house in England.

Anyway i have heard from my ex husband this morning that she has found out that i am back in the USA and married and she has sent a letter to my ex mother in law saying that i had no right taking my son back to the states and that the cult came and got me from England and that i am now married to a cult leader. My ex mother in law is extremely upset ripped the letter up and unfortunately threw it away. I am on good terms with my ex and his mother and i have seen this kind of stuff before from my mother so i know that she isnt making this up.

I entered the states legally on october 30th with a k1 and k2 visa, flew back alone with my son (my fiance couldnt come get me because of work committments) we married on november 15, and we are getting ready to file the AOS before 29th January (thats the date i am supposed to leave if we dont file).

Question is...what can i do if she starts harrassing the INS and the local PD again? There is absolutely no truth to these allegations of the religious and sex cult business and i dont know what to do. Can they deport me on these allegations that she is starting up again? I wont tell my 10 year old what is happening as when she did this before he wouldnt even go to school for the longest time in England in case he ran in to her. He is absolutely terrified of her.

After about 3 weeks of being here (i dont think my knew then that i had left) she left a parcel and a letter on my ex husbands doorstep my clothes i had when i was a baby and photos, and a note saying she thought that i would like to have these things as she heard i was going back to the US. Basically emotional blackmail.

Thanks for hearing me out. I am extremely worried about this. Surely the INS would have already checked out my husband as part of the K1 process? My son is here with me, i have permission from his father for him to be here with me, he is happy and is now in school etc.

Any advice greatfully recieved.
Old Dec 19th 2001, 6:11 pm
pharrya's troublen strife

ms_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant futurems_bhon has a brilliant future
Default her local police

What about you contacting her local police and that solicitor in the UK and getting and restraining order against her there.You've obviously done this- I'd just be sure to have these things should the INS feel the need to investigate.
Meanwhile, Why does she have this cult fixation? Is she mentally ill? Is it partially true somehow? I sorta get the feeling there's something you're not telling us.
If she is mentally ill, perhaps you should speak to any of your or her siblings and get her help. If what she has is dementia, she should not be living on her own.
Old Dec 19th 2001, 6:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They say you can't choose your family but then again, if you believe in reincarnation you did choose. Oh well!!!!

As for your questions as to whether the INS checked out your American citizen husband, the answer is no. The USC is never checked out by the INS or the US Consulate. The only things that they will verify and that is through documentation the USC provides them with is their ability to sponsor you financially, their freedom to marriage and their right to the claim of US citizenship. They could have a criminal record, be a financial deadbeat with three bankruptcies under their belt, or a religious zealot and the INS would not know and would not particularly care.

As for yourself and your son, you both were given approval through the K visas issued at the US Consulate in London to enter the US and marry your US Fiancee. You have done so and should hasten to apply for adjustment of status to eliminate that one anxiety you have about filing in time.

Your mother may call anyone and everyone she pleases but at the moment you have legal right to be inside of the US. You had the legal right to marry your USC husband. You have the legal right to remove your son from England. Other than making your life miserable, there is no way that your mother can have you deported and returned to England.

My suggestion to you is file for the AOS immediately. Get all your paperwork in order in regards to your custodial rights to have your son with you, the paper trail that was initiated by your attorney against your mother and do not attempt to contact her in any way, shape or form. In fact, it might be wise of you to contact the British barrister that you had retained earlier and document the problem with him and get his advice on how to order a court order of restraint against your mother without divulging your current address, name or phone number.

Good luck

Rita
Old Dec 19th 2001, 7:33 pm
Donna Maindrault

wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

The US does not have, and indeed does not support, the recent European laws defining
some religious organizations as "cults" or "sects" and treating them differently from
other religions. This type of accusation would not affect your immigration case;
indeed, you might get sympathy as a victim of persecution because of your religious
beliefs. No asylum, though, since the persecutor is your mother rather than a
government!

-Donna

Old Dec 19th 2001, 8:14 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice.

My mother is not mentally ill or i dont think she is but the way she has behaved over the years would not surprise me.
This is what i didnt mention...

When we relocated from England to another part of england, one of my sisters did not want to come with us. She was in her 40's unmarried but had adopted children, her own life and her own home. Because she didnt want to come with us my mother (this was 10 years ago and she still believed it when i last talked to her about 2 1/2 years ago)told her too that she was in a cult, and played weird music in her home and my mother sent her poison pen letters too. It seems to me that if you dont conform to my mothers wishes she will blacken your name and say that you are involved in this that or the other. What is so funny is that the town i lived in, they did actually believe her and i was shunned almost everywhere i went. This is so sad, i was considering going to see my mother before i left for the states. Thank god i decided against it.
Old Dec 22nd 2001, 5:25 pm
Jonathan_atc

Instead of trying to help yourself... see to it that your mother gets = on
medication. People are not just mean spirited, they usually have a = mental problem
if they are acting this way. Get her some help!

>
Steen's Visa Pages http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
Newsgroup FAQ http://www.k1faq.com Immigration and Naturalization Service
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov {I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. For
reliable legal advice, please consult with a professional immigration attorney.}

>
    >
    >
time
    >
PD
    >
then
    >
    >
    >
    >