Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T Flying to the US with my dog

O/T Flying to the US with my dog

Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough
Default O/T Flying to the US with my dog

I was wondering if I can get some help.
I am flying to the US on Sep 11th (I know). My dog is flying with me. Has anyone brought a dog with them to the US? Is there any way to reduce the stress of flying for a dog? How to provide water for a dog in a cage?

What's the procedure of going through customs upon arrival in the US?

Thanks to everyone in advance!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: O/T Flying to the US with my dog

Originally Posted by violator_dm
I am flying to the US on Sep 11th (I know). My dog is flying with me. Has anyone brought a dog with them to the US? Is there any way to reduce the stress of flying for a dog? How to provide water for a dog in a cage?

Make sure you have filed for a K-9 visa!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:32 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: O/T Flying to the US with my dog

What airline are you flying with?
K9's visas are a must
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

violator_dm will become famous soon enoughviolator_dm will become famous soon enough

I'm flying with Lufthansa. Moscow-Frankfurt-Washington DC
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Make sure you have filed for a K-9 visa!
That's a good one

Domestic dogs must be free of evidence of diseases communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If the animal is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies at least 30 days before entering the United States. This requirement does not apply, however, to puppies less than three months of age or to dogs originating or located for at least six months in areas designated by the U.S. Public Health Service as being rabies-free.

The following procedures pertain to dogs arriving from areas that are not free of rabies:

A valid rabies vaccination certificate should accompany the animal. This certificate should be in English or be accompanied by a translation. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination and expiration, and be signed by a licensed veterinarian. If no expiration date is specified, the certificate is acceptable if the date of vaccination is no more than 12 months before the date of arrival.
If a vaccination has not been performed, or if the certificate is not valid, the animal may be admitted if it is confined immediately upon arrival at a place of the owner's choosing. The dog must be vaccinated within four days after arrival at the final destination, but no more than 10 days after arrival at the port of entry. The animal must remain in confinement for at least 30 days after being vaccinated.
If the vaccination was performed less than 30 days before arrival, the animal may be admitted but must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until at least 30 days have passed since the vaccination.
Young puppies must be confined at a place of the owner's choosing until they are three months old, then they must be vaccinated. They must remain in confinement for 30 days.

Dogs that arrive in Hawaii or Guam, both of which are free of rabies, are subject to the state’s or territory’s quarantine requirements, in addition to whatever other Public Health Service requirements, above, apply.
http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm...ingyourpet.htm
Old Sep 9th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

I'm flying with Lufthansa. Moscow-Frankfurt-Washington DC
I would like to carry my pet with me. What do I have to do?

Transport of pets while travelling with Lufthansa is possible with prior reservation and for a nominal fee. A limited number of animals are permitted on each flight. Only cats and dogs are permitted to travel in the passenger cabin. The maximum weight for the animal including the carrier is 18lbs/8kgs and may be a maximum of 55X40X20cm or 22x16x8in.

All other animals are required to be transported in the climate-controlled hold of the plane, even if you are on the same flight as your pet. Please contact your local reservations department to verify that your pet is permitted, to make arrangements for the transport of your pet as well as the expense.

It is not required that you travel with your pets. You may also ship the animals unaccompanied in the aircraft hold for a fee. For more detailed information regarding this option, please contact Lufthansa Cargo directly. Local contact information may be found on the cargo website.

Pets

Why leave them behind? With our globe-spanning network covering all key holiday regions, we can fly your pets safely everywhere.

To assure your pet a comfortable journey please note the following:

We have listed all important points you have to consider before the journey starts. (Please note the chronological order as well)

Please check documents and vaccination for your pet at least two months before take off.
Choose the right kennel - detailed information are available in every Lufthansa Cargo office. On advance notification we also offer kennels for purchase in four different sizes.
Price information is available at your Lufthansa Cargo office. Prices are generated by distance, weight and kennels size.
Addresses and phone numbers of your Lufthansa Cargo office can be found on our websites.

See also: http://www.lhcargo.com/publish/downl...C_19.01.04.pdf
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:01 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: O/T Flying to the US with my dog

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
I would like to carry my pet with me. What do I have to do?

Transport of pets while travelling with Lufthansa is possible with prior reservation and for a nominal fee. A limited number of animals are permitted on each flight. Only cats and dogs are permitted to travel in the passenger cabin. The maximum weight for the animal including the carrier is 18lbs/8kgs and may be a maximum of 55X40X20cm or 22x16x8in.

All other animals are required to be transported in the climate-controlled hold of the plane, even if you are on the same flight as your pet. Please contact your local reservations department to verify that your pet is permitted, to make arrangements for the transport of your pet as well as the expense.

It is not required that you travel with your pets. You may also ship the animals unaccompanied in the aircraft hold for a fee. For more detailed information regarding this option, please contact Lufthansa Cargo directly. Local contact information may be found on the cargo website.

Pets

Why leave them behind? With our globe-spanning network covering all key holiday regions, we can fly your pets safely everywhere.

To assure your pet a comfortable journey please note the following:

We have listed all important points you have to consider before the journey starts. (Please note the chronological order as well)

Please check documents and vaccination for your pet at least two months before take off.
Choose the right kennel - detailed information are available in every Lufthansa Cargo office. On advance notification we also offer kennels for purchase in four different sizes.
Price information is available at your Lufthansa Cargo office. Prices are generated by distance, weight and kennels size.
Addresses and phone numbers of your Lufthansa Cargo office can be found on our websites.

See also: http://www.lhcargo.com/publish/downl...C_19.01.04.pdf

Darn you beat me to it!!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: O/T Flying to the US with my dog

Gees, you got me with the K9 visa
I understand the procedure now. Our flight is going to be something like 16 hours! My dog won't be able to do whatever he does when I walk him. How long does this inspection take? All of our documents are in order, shots done, veterinary certificates given. I am just worried about him.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 11:30 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Gees, you got me with the K9 visa
I understand the procedure now. Our flight is going to be something like 16 hours! My dog won't be able to do whatever he does when I walk him. How long does this inspection take? All of our documents are in order, shots done, veterinary certificates given. I am just worried about him.
From personal experience, I have two additional suggestions:

1) Make sure you instruct the airline to notify you IN ADVANCE if they are going to put your dog on an earlier flight if you have any connecting flights.

Back in 1997, I was moving back to the US after two years in Chile, and was bringing my dog, a 100lb Akita named Andie, with me. Our first leg was Santiago-Dallas, and the second leg was Dallas-DC. I was told that because we had a 2+ hour layover in Dallas, the airline (American) could take me to Andie so I could let her out of her crate for a bit, to relieve herself, etc.

Once I got to Dallas, that was my first priority. I asked American Airlines where my dog was so I could do this. They kept saying they were looking for her. Finally, when I was literally buckled into my seat for my flight to DC, a flight attendant told me that Andie had been put on an earlier flight to Dulles Airport more than an hour before. The airline neither asked my permission nor notified me in advance that they might do this.

Their philosophy was that by putting her on an earlier flight, Andie would get out of her crate earlier. WRONG. No one at Dulles Airport (my family, etc.) knew Andie would be arriving earlier, so no one was there to get her. She ended up sitting in her crate for an additional 4 hours, until my flight arrived. During this time, she got no water or attention, either, because the airline staff said they were too afraid to approach her.

Oh, and did I mention that there was NO WAY Customs would've known if Andie was healthy or not, because I had her vaccination documents with me and they never asked to look at them? Kinda scary when you think about it...

2) DO NOT take any dog treats in your carry-on!

I know this sounds silly, but I did that by accident on this same trip, and I nearly got fined for it. The Dept of Agriculture's Beagle Patrol stopped by my bag and I was interrogated for several minutes about why I illegally brought meat products into the country. I didn't get a fine ONLY because I had the little bag the treats had come in, and they'd originally been manufactured in the States, then exported to Chile. Had the treats been made outside the States, I would've gotten a fine.

~ Jenney