Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T drivers license in Louisiana...the final chapter

O/T drivers license in Louisiana...the final chapter

Old Jul 30th 2004, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T drivers license in Louisiana...the final chapter

Well we had sucess today. What difference in dealing with a competent person made. From my earlier post many of you will recall that Angela was rudely rejected after driving all of about 6 inches on her first attempt to take her driving exam road test.

Well this falls under the losing the battle but winning the war theory. Anyway we went home and drove the wheels off the car and parked a jillion times. Angela is a 41 year old female who had never previously driven.

I took her to a different office and all was smooth. She made one wide turn on a street with no lines and parked a little crooked. Those were the examiners only comments. I was allowed to ride along and translate. This right was denied at the earlier exam but I instinctively felt that it wasn't the right time to go to war so to speak.

Her first experience so terrifed Angela that she really didn't want to take the test again just yet. I finally got her to understand that they didn't expect perfection.

Next week we gotta buy a car!!!

ALP & ALP
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:27 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T drivers license in Louisiana...the final chapter

Originally posted by lpdiver
Well we had sucess today. What difference in dealing with a competent person made. From my earlier post many of you will recall that Angela was rudely rejected after driving all of about 6 inches on her first attempt to take her driving exam road test.

Well this falls under the losing the battle but winning the war theory. Anyway we went home and drove the wheels off the car and parked a jillion times. Angela is a 41 year old female who had never previously driven.

I took her to a different office and all was smooth. She made one wide turn on a street with no lines and parked a little crooked. Those were the examiners only comments. I was allowed to ride along and translate. This right was denied at the earlier exam but I instinctively felt that it wasn't the right time to go to war so to speak.

Her first experience so terrifed Angela that she really didn't want to take the test again just yet. I finally got her to understand that they didn't expect perfection.

ALP & ALP

Congratulations!!! We face the same situation since Steve at 54 (soon to be 55) has never had a license either! Not looking forward to the insurance increase though, .
Old Jul 30th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Actually in my case the insurance went up only 5$ due to adding my wife. Now it went up when I added the other vehicle of course.

Antony

Originally posted by cindyabs
Congratulations!!! We face the same situation since Steve at 54 (soon to be 55) has never had a license either! Not looking forward to the insurance increase though, .
Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:35 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Actually in my case the insurance went up only 5$ due to adding my wife. Now it went up when I added the other vehicle of course.

Antony
Good news, finally! Glad to hear everything went so well. It has been a helluva saga for you two.

Cathy is in the same boat- needing to go take the written and road test. She drives fine with me, but I am worried about her getting nervous with the examiner.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Angela!!
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Congrats. PLEASE don't make the mistake of letting her drive though. The US system does not create competent drivers. Treat her like a teen driver: they need practice and experience: rain, snow, highway, mountain roads. Teach her to change a tire, check the oil all that stuff.

ALP & ALP
Old Jul 30th 2004, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

We have had that discussion already. We have been driving together for quite some time with her learners permit. She realizes that she is a beginner with much to learn. It is only for necessities at this time; grocery store, scool for the kid, and soon hopefully a job.

Snow, mountains, should be of little concern in Louisiana.

She is a member of AAA. And has seen me change a tire. I make her do the gas station thing and sit in tha car...hehehe.

Tony

Originally posted by DCMark
Congrats. PLEASE don't make the mistake of letting her drive though. The US system does not create competent drivers. Treat her like a teen driver: they need practice and experience: rain, snow, highway, mountain roads. Teach her to change a tire, check the oil all that stuff.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 5:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I make her do the gas station thing and sit in tha car...hehehe.
Sheila was into her 40s before she ever pumped gas for herself. Either her ex did it, or she went to the full-service pumps. Now it's all old hat!

Ian
Old Jul 30th 2004, 5:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Tony and Angela!

My premium went down when I added my husband due to a marriage discount. It will go up again if we buy a second car, though....

Best Wishes!
Rene
Old Jul 30th 2004, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

psychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of lightpsychobabbler1 is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats to her! Out of curiousity, why hasn't she ever dirven before? Because of expense (it can be expensive in other countries to get a license) or just good public tranport in her native country?
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife is from a very poor family. In Colombia they have good inexpensive taxi and bus service. I short it wasn't necessary and is very expensive an relation to her income.

Antony

Originally posted by psychobabbler1
Congrats to her! Out of curiousity, why hasn't she ever dirven before? Because of expense (it can be expensive in other countries to get a license) or just good public tranport in her native country?
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:17 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Noorah101
Congratulations, Tony and Angela!

My premium went down when I added my husband due to a marriage discount. It will go up again if we buy a second car, though....

Best Wishes!
Rene

Who are you insured with ? We are with 21st Century and I did a check and it will nearly double our insruance when I go onto my SO's policy.
Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am with Farm Bureau of Louisiana. It was mentioned to me to not have her licensed if she didn't have one. Allstate and Progressive were similar in the cost of adding her but varied widely in the actual cost.

Shop around,

Good Luck,

Anthony

Originally posted by inquisitive40
Who are you insured with ? We are with 21st Century and I did a check and it will nearly double our insruance when I go onto my SO's policy.
Patrick
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by inquisitive40
Patrick
Wow! My insurance company is called "Union Insurance Company of Providence", but at the bottom of my ID card it says "EMC Insurance Companies". The local Agency/Company Issuing Card (underwriter?) is "Anderson Witt Insurance Agency, Inc."

Actually, you raised another question in my mind so I called them back just now (yes, me, queen of phone calls...lol). I reminded her that we are only adding his name right now on my policy - he doesn't have a license yet. I asked if whether when he got his license and is added as an actual driver, it would make a difference? She said no, due to the fact that he's not a young driver and has absolutely no driving history/record at all.

So there you have the scoop Oh, and I also have my homeowner's insurance with them, too. I get another discount by having multiple policies. I've been with them for years and they provide excellent service, IMO.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 30th 2004 at 9:29 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 9:35 pm
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Originally posted by Noorah101
Wow! My insurance company is called "Union Insurance Company of Providence", but at the bottom of my ID card it says "EMC Insurance Companies". The local Agency/Company Issuing Card (underwriter?) is "Anderson Witt Insurance Agency, Inc."

Actually, you raised another question in my mind so I called them back just now (yes, me, queen of phone calls...lol). I reminded her that we are only adding his name right now on my policy - he doesn't have a license yet. I asked if whether when he got his license and is added as an actual driver, it would make a difference? She said no, due to the fact that he's not a young driver and has absolutely no driving history/record at all.

So there you have the scoop Oh, and I also have my homeowner's insurance with them, too. I get another discount by having multiple policies. I've been with them for years and they provide excellent service, IMO.

Rene

Hum, think we are gonna go shop for insurance before I go onto my SO's policy, I have no idea why her premium is so high (nearly $950 a year) as she has no accidents and has the good driver bonus on her policy. Could it be the car? Pontiac Gran Prix, faster cars back in Ireland are loaded due to their performance?
The coverage on the policy is pretty good, includes towing etc but we pay $125 for 8 months of the year. I got the quote originally through an online web site when we moved here first.
Maybe it is just California prices
Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.