Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Wikiposts

O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:09 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jan_michigan
I've been looking for a new car/ truck/ suv too as my poor ole dodge grand caravan is beginning to disintegrate.

A couple of suggestions for you .. subaru ... I test drove an outback today and i'm in lurve !! 22 mpg roung town and 28 freeway mpg. Also the Suzuki Grand Vitara and the new Rav4 are decent and spacy suvs too. Volvos are wonderful cars but sooo darn expensive over here

Hubby is a jeep enthusiast but after taking a look at the new liberty I gave up, so little room in the back for growing kids.

Jan

ohh for those folks who have deep deep pockets ... the Lincoln Navigator is still my No1 suv ... all those toys !! hehe
Hmm.. just got of the phone with a friend I know that owns a car dealership which sells several different makes of cars. Had a long conversation with him (I initially called to ask about the BMW X3 as a possible replacement car for my hubby).

He feels that the VW SUV is going to have build quality problems and at 30-40k he advises coughing up the extra 10k for the Porsche Cayenne V6 which is just out.

He highly recommended the Volvo SUV as a mid sized SUV for families. He said it is designed specifically for people with children.

For those who need something BIGGER he does not recommend the larger Lexus. Too much money for too little in his opinion.

Food for thought perhaps.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside .... at 30-40k he advises coughing up the extra 10k for the Porsche Cayenne V6 which is just out. ....
I might not have studied math since high school, but I am pretty sure that the difference between $40k and $56k is not "an extra 10k".

The entry level Porsche Cayenne is $56k, before tax and, no doubt, various other dealer add-ons. The Cayenne runs up to close to $90K! ..... And in any case it is the ugliest SUV since the Musso Ssangyong!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Originally posted by lairdside
A friend advises to check out the Volvo XC90. Never tried it myself but they think highly of it

We have the Volvo XC90 T6 (the turbocharged engine). It has been wonderful in all the snow and icy conditions we've had in the last few weeks. I particularly like the Volvo safety features on this car as I was wary of the reputation of SUV's rolling over in accidents, but we were 'sold' when we saw the on-line video showing simulations of accident situations - it was even designed to protect any pedestrians who step out in front of it when crossing the road.

It's very thirsty on petrol though....
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:19 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by Englishmum
We have the Volvo XC90 T6 (the turbocharged engine). It has been wonderful in all the snow and icy conditions we've had in the last few weeks. I particularly like the Volvo safety features on this car as I was wary of the reputation of SUV's rolling over in accidents, but we were 'sold' when we saw the on-line video showing simulations of accident situations - it was even designed to protect any pedestrians who step out in front of it when crossing the road.

It's very thirsty on petrol though....
How does that advert go? "Have you looked at a Ford lately?"

I suppose the Volvo is a classier Ford.

Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:16 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
I might not have studied math since high school, but I am pretty sure that the difference between $40k and $56k is not "an extra 10k".

The entry level Porsche Cayenne is $56k, before tax and, no doubt, various other dealer add-ons. The Cayenne runs up to close to $90K! ..... And in any case it is the ugliest SUV since the Musso Ssangyong!
Hmm.. 56k sounds suspiciously like the Cayenne S 4.5litre V8 - rather than the V6 version which has just been released.

Looks aren't to everyone's taste but considering it was being compared to the VW SUV and the two are terribly similar in appearance?

Lots of people have the Cayenne around here, I thought it looked a little strange at first but have gotten used to it somewhat. It drives beautifully.........
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:07 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
J.E.E.P. = Just Empty Every Pocket
LOL! Yep, someone else told me the same, that they are gas-guzzlers. A bit like an old friend who owned a boat, he always said that owning a boat is a bit like digging a great big hole at the bottom of your garden and tipping all your wages into it.

BTW, the Ford Explorer is looking promising on my research!

Thanks again guys

Debbie
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:29 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by dbark
LOL! Yep, someone else told me the same, that they are gas-guzzlers. A bit like an old friend who owned a boat, he always said that owning a boat is a bit like digging a great big hole at the bottom of your garden and tipping all your wages into it.

Thanks again guys

Debbie
I've heard a few.

F.O.R.D. = Found On Road Dead / Fix Or Repair Daily

B.M.W. = Bought My Wife

F.I.A.T. = Fix It Again Tony

And probably the worst....

P.O.N.T.I.A.C. = Poor Old Nigga Thinks It's A Cadillac
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:30 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by dbark

Thanks again guys

Debbie
Before I came to the US I'd had horses since I was a little girl.

Same deal as boats ..lol
Old Feb 6th 2004, 4:31 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default my .02

a used BMW 4.4 v8 X5 or the V6 cayenne which is $42,000 - a veritable bargain

yes the cayenne does look pretty weird to start with BUT

depreciation should be reasonable, reliability should be great AND as the porsche adverts say: 'there is no substitute'

(dunno how this translates the suvs, but anything that doesn't feel similar to driving aboat in my book is a good thing!)
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Try owning a plane. Richard Brason was once asked how he became a millionaire. He said he started off a billionaire and then went into the airline industry!.
I would love to own my own plane, but apart from the cost, you have to be a USC to own one, so I guess I'll wait....
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:46 am
Howling at the Moon

Originally posted by TimFountain
Try owning a plane. Richard Brason was once asked how he became a millionaire. He said he started off a billionaire and then went into the airline industry!.
I would love to own my own plane, but apart from the cost, you have to be a USC to own one, so I guess I'll wait....
I can empathise with that. I gained my PPL at 17, it's long since lapsed, have never owned my plane but have always wanted a helicopter.

The cost of ground maintenance is PHENOMENAL, costs more than the price of the aircraft before you can blink.

I didn't know that you had to be a USC.