Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:53 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Hi,

I've been living here in the US for a little over 4 months, and soon I will be wanting to buy myself an SUV. I need something that is reliable (I am hopeless at roadside repairs) and big enough for a family of 5, shopping, etc. I will be needing a pre-owned vehicle, to cut down expenses, and economical to insure. Can anyone recommend any particular make or model please?

Debbie
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:00 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough
Default Re: O/T: Can anyone recommend a good SUV?

Originally posted by dbark
Hi,

I've been living here in the US for a little over 4 months, and soon I will be wanting to buy myself an SUV. I need something that is reliable (I am hopeless at roadside repairs) and big enough for a family of 5, shopping, etc. I will be needing a pre-owned vehicle, to cut down expenses, and economical to insure. Can anyone recommend any particular make or model please?

Debbie
I bought an ML320. Been happy with it. Servicing repairs etc are reasonable - same ball park as my husband's Honda CRV. The insurance is roughly comparable too.

Fuel economy is pretty good, costs more than the CRV but the ML takes 91/92 grade fuel.

If it's not too small for you I'd consider a Lexus RX300 too. I know a few people with them and they are satisfied with the car. I needed a bigger boot (trunk).

My only gripe is I would like a bigger engine....considering buying a Porsche Cayenne S next time.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:04 pm

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lairdside
I bought an ML320. Been happy with it. Servicing repairs etc are reasonable - same ball park as my husband's Honda CRV. The insurance is roughly comparable too.

Fuel economy is pretty good, costs more than the CRV but the ML takes 91/92 grade fuel.

If it's not too small for you I'd consider a Lexus RX300 too. I know a few people with them and they are satisfied with the car. I needed a bigger boot (trunk).

My only gripe is I would like a bigger engine....considering buying a Porsche Cayenne S next time.
Thanks, lairdside - is this it:

http://www.platinumautospa.com/ml320.htm

Looks great! I also need a big boot, to fit in all the shopping, hehe I will also look into the Porsche.

Debbie
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:26 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Thanks, lairdside - is this it:

http://www.platinumautospa.com/ml320.htm

Looks great! I also need a big boot, to fit in all the shopping, hehe I will also look into the Porsche.

Debbie
Yep that's it. Same colour as mine too ..lol

The Porsche is cute but quite new, I'm planning to wait a couple of years and think about buying perhaps a three year old one.

If you want an ML with a bigger engine they did 4.3 and 5.0 versions including an AMG version.

The newer models are 3.7 litre and 5.0 but no AMG as far as I know.

I was hoping to pass it along to my daughter when I was ready to replace but the wretch wants the RX300......

I looked at BMW X5's but those back seats were too uncomfortable for my brat and her friends. Wierd visibility too for someone relatively tall. Landrover Discovery and Range Rover were another consideration.

I'm thinking.....
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:31 pm
Howling at the Moon

Yep that's it. Same colour as mine too ..lol

The Porsche is cute but quite new, I'm planning to wait a couple of years and think about buying perhaps a three year old one.

If you want an ML with a bigger engine they did 4.3 and 5.0 versions including an AMG version.

The newer models are 3.7 litre and 5.0 but no AMG as far as I know.

I was hoping to pass it along to my daughter when I was ready to replace but the wretch wants the RX300......

I looked at BMW X5's but those back seats were too uncomfortable for my brat and her friends. Wierd visibility too for someone relatively tall. Landrover Discovery and Range Rover were another consideration.

I'm thinking.....
Hey, you could always buy a Hummer!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:34 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Debbie
How about the jeep cherokee and the Mitsubishi Montero??
They are cool
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:38 pm

Hey, you could always buy a Hummer!
rotfl, no I could not! Kurt is always teasing me about getting one .. they seem more like boys' toys to me, for boys who didn't play with Action man enough!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

imkimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Debbie
Debbie-

If you are interested in looking into the safety of the vehicles, check out the Insurance Institue for Highway safety. You can look up specific years, makes and models and see what how the agency ranks them.

http://www.hwysafety.org/

Just click on the "Vehicle Ratings".

Kimberly
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:43 pm

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

rotfl, no I could not! Kurt is always teasing me about getting one .. they seem more like boys' toys to me, for boys who didn't play with Action man enough!
LOL
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:44 pm

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
How about the jeep cherokee and the Mitsubishi Montero??
They are cool
Actually Hyper, I was looking at a Grand Cherokee, and the Montero looks pretty nice too. How to choose??

Have you owned either of them then? Or your US partner .........

Debbie

Last edited by dbark; Feb 5th 2004 at 7:46 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:47 pm

Actually Hyper, I was looking at a Grand Cherokee, and the Montero looks pretty nice too. How to choose??

Have you owned either of them then? Or your US partner .........

Debbie
Hey Debbie!!

Choosing is a big dilema!!.
I havent owned them but I drove both daily when I was an Au-pair (International nanny), and I never had a problem!!
I would like to own either one someday!!!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:47 pm
Howling at the Moon

Oh - the other car I'm considering as a replacement. The G500 - Geländewagen.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:51 pm
Howling at the Moon

Oh - the other car I'm considering as a replacement. The G500 - Geländewagen.
There are a few Toyota's which may be worth looking at too.

I'd love an F series truck but that's a truck not an SUV.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:52 pm

Originally posted by imkimmy
Debbie-

If you are interested in looking into the safety of the vehicles, check out the Insurance Institue for Highway safety. You can look up specific years, makes and models and see what how the agency ranks them.

http://www.hwysafety.org/

Just click on the "Vehicle Ratings".

Kimberly
Kimberly,

Thanks for that link! It's really interesting reading, what I've seen so far. In fact I've saved it in my favorites, to check out every SUV I consider. Seems lairdside's Mercedes performed well
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:57 pm

There are a few Toyota's which may be worth looking at too.

I'd love an F series truck but that's a truck not an SUV.
The Toyota 4Runner performed well in those safety tests! I do appreciate all your suggestions, thanks!

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.