Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T ..for anyone following my Car drama...

O/T ..for anyone following my Car drama...

Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default O/T ..for anyone following my Car drama...

Well, this morning I went - armed with every bit of I.D and proof of ownership, and proof of my status (or lack thereof) - to the customs office at Newark, NJ to get the paperwork done for importing my car into the US. To my great surprise, it was no problem whatsoever. The customs officer was very pleasant - he kept calling me sweetheart and honey. Ford never did re-write my letter, so it still had the statement about how the daytime running lights must be disabled. However, I explained the situation about how what the lady meant by that was simply that they are required in Canada and not required in the US, and that if there was any problems they could call her (luckilly they didn't because she wouldn't have been at work yet) - and that was good enough. I paid my $9 fee for the paperwork, and was on my way within about fifteen minutes or so. I'm still in shock at how easy that ended up being.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 1:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T ..for anyone following my Car drama...

Originally posted by andrea874
Well, this morning I went - armed with every bit of I.D and proof of ownership, and proof of my status (or lack thereof) - to the customs office at Newark, NJ to get the paperwork done for importing my car into the US. To my great surprise, it was no problem whatsoever. The customs officer was very pleasant - he kept calling me sweetheart and honey. Ford never did re-write my letter, so it still had the statement about how the daytime running lights must be disabled. However, I explained the situation about how what the lady meant by that was simply that they are required in Canada and not required in the US, and that if there was any problems they could call her (luckilly they didn't because she wouldn't have been at work yet) - and that was good enough. I paid my $9 fee for the paperwork, and was on my way within about fifteen minutes or so. I'm still in shock at how easy that ended up being.

Hot Darn (censored my own language before the ADM or Co-ADM does it for me)

So glad it was quick and painless. Hope the ride to Newark wasn't too bad or the ride back to Queesn.

Rete
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:19 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Well, this morning I went - armed with every bit of I.D and proof of ownership, and proof of my status (or lack thereof) - to the customs office at Newark, NJ to get the paperwork done for importing my car into the US. To my great surprise, it was no problem whatsoever.
Well done, Andrea!! So pleased everything worked out for ya
Old Jul 14th 2004, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

I suspected that this would be the case. Sometimes we manufacture drama. Immigrations can make you insane if your not careful!!!

Congrats!!

T & A

Old Jul 14th 2004, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
I suspected that this would be the case. Sometimes we manufacture drama. Immigrations can make you insane if your not careful!!!

Congrats!!

T & A

Yeah. Well we were actually told by the customs people at JFK that it was not possible to do unless the car was physically present there (which would have been impossible). So I'm just glad it worked out. Now its on to trying to figure out how to put the car in my husbands name and have NY acknowledge that my Canadian registration is as close to a "title certificate" as we get. We'll see what happens with that.. ha.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:18 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. Well we were actually told by the customs people at JFK that it was not possible to do unless the car was physically present there (which would have been impossible). So I'm just glad it worked out. Now its on to trying to figure out how to put the car in my husbands name and have NY acknowledge that my Canadian registration is as close to a "title certificate" as we get. We'll see what happens with that.. ha.

Now you have the paperwork and I don't understand why there would be any difficulty in registering the car in NYS under your very own name.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#import

It clearly states you can register it even with an expired registration. Also they know according to the site that Canada does not issue titles like in the US. So that, too, is not an issue as long as you have your custom's clearance.

Rete
Old Jul 14th 2004, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Rete
Now you have the paperwork and I don't understand why there would be any difficulty in registering the car in NYS under your very own name.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm#import

It clearly states you can register it even with an expired registration. Also they know according to the site that Canada does not issue titles like in the US. So that, too, is not an issue as long as you have your custom's clearance.

Rete
Yeah, it also says that they "may" need a letter from the authority in the foreign country saying that whatever we have for proof of ownership (old registration) is equivilant to a NY title certificate, so I think we're going to cover all our bases and have that letter written and ready before we go there.
Old Jul 15th 2004, 5:36 pm
Reargunner666

andrea874 <member21863@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by lpdiver
    > > I suspected that this
    > would be the case. Sometimes we manufacture drama. Immigrations can make
    > you insane if your not careful!!!
    > >
    > > Congrats!!
    > >
    > > T & A
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah. Well we were actually told by the customs people at JFK that it
    > was not possible to do unless the car was physically present there
    > (which would have been impossible). So I'm just glad it worked out. Now
    > its on to trying to figure out how to put the car in my husbands name
    > and have NY acknowledge that my Canadian registration is as close to a
    > "title certificate" as we get. We'll see what happens with that.. ha.

thanks so much for posting all this vital information on immigration