Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T American Cigarettes

O/T American Cigarettes

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 10:25 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T American Cigarettes

Originally posted by K:

Hey Rete...
Where do you get the Benson and Hedges???? Can't find them around here. Can't get Lambert and Butler either.

No problem finding B&H here. Can also get Dunhill.

BTW I enjoyed reading Donna's comments because my experience is just the opposite. I graduated college and until recently everyone I knew smoked.

Rete
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:25 pm
Donna Maindrault

In article <[email protected]>, Rete
<[email protected]> wrote:

> BTW I enjoyed reading Donna's comments because my experience is just the opposite.
    > I graduated college and until recently everyone I knew smoked.

Then I'd guess that you're much older than I am.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, just trying to explain to someone from a foreign
country why someone who was a happy smoker in Europe might quit after moving to the
US. The education correlation doesn't exist in Europe at all.

The American Lung Association, in a PDF (can't copy/paste) claims that in 1999, the
percentage of the population sorted by education level who were smokers were:

44.4% with GED or dropout (didn't graduate from high school)
45.2% high school graduate
46.1% college graduate
47.5% masters degree or higher

These figures were age-adjusted in that only people age 25 and above were counted, so
that they presumably had a chance to finish college. They did, however, count
60-year-olds who started smoking back when the distribution wasn't so skewed in the
US. So if you think about it, you can see that the younger generation is even more
skewed than these numbers indicate (and the older generation less skewed, except for
the tail end due to life span effects).

So a 60-year-old smoker from Europe might very well find that some of his American
peers smoke. However, a 30-year-old moving here would be very out of place in a group
of college educated Americans. For my husband, the final nail in the coffin sticks
was when the doormen, with whom he shared cigarettes when he went out to smoke,
mentioned that he was the only person living in the 18 story building who smoked.

Seriously, if I were to run into someone his age (29) who smoked, I would assume the
person was a high school dropout (or bipolar).

-Donna

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:35 pm
K
BE Enthusiast

K is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete:

No problem finding B&H here. Can also get Dunhill.

BTW I enjoyed reading Donna's comments because my experience is just the opposite. I graduated college and until recently everyone I knew smoked.

Rete
I promised Dave that after the AOS i would quit. LOL but as i mentioned earlier i havent had the letter or my passport back...so does that count? LOL
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 2:41 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by K:

I promised Dave that after the AOS i would quit. LOL but as i mentioned earlier i havent had the letter or my passport back...so does that count? LOL
I quit the beginning of the year myself and it wasn't too bad. But I gave in to temptation after a month and bought a pack. Hey a girl's has to have some vices. I don't drink and I've been smoking since age 16.

I laugh at the soothsayers and their second hand smoke theories. Like with all things, it may come back to bite them in the arse one day. Like coffee is bad for you and now it is not. Breast cancer is caused by fat in your diet, base line mammos are required before age 40 and then changed to age 50 and then they are an aid in catching the disease early and then it doesn't really do an adequate job at catching early tumors. Hell I'm 54 and never took part in a survey re smoking or any other product's use. And cigarettes are not illegal. I don't have lung cancer and my dad who smoked for since his teens and is now 87 years old doesn't have lung cancer either. My daughters smoke as does my sister and my husband use to smoke and quit almost two years ago.

Oh well, as long as it is legal and I feel like I want to light up, I will. Perhaps the yuppies and puppies think it is politically incorrect and many people have bowed to public censor, guess I will plod along throwing political correctness into the waste basket where I think it belongs.

Rete
Tongue in Cheek
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:24 pm
Jonathan_atc

I have lived in various places in the US and ALL had Benson and Hedges. Try Wal-mart
or your local grocery stores if you can't find them at a petrol station.

--
Jonathan_ATC "K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by Mrtravel:
    > > rob wrote:
    > > > I imagine if the poster had wanted to hear from the anti-smoking nazis (s)he
    > > > would have called the Quitline...
    > >
    > > No.. if you post in a public forum, you will hear from all sides. You should take
    > > this opportunity of starting a new life in the US without an old habit.
    > >
    > Hey Rete... Where do you get the Benson and Hedges???? Can't find them around here.
    > Can't get Lambert and Butler either.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:25 pm
Mrs_blackross

amen Rete. what you said is pretty much what I think too. everything in life is good
for you one day, bad for you the next, and the scientists have yet to agree on
anything. political correctness has gone too far in every way, and I, for one, will
continue to light up as long as it is legal.

btw, I went from my old Canadian brand, Players Light, to my husband's brand, Winston
Light, without TOO much grimacing. I still mourn my old brand but to get them
locally they are $55 a carton. even I'M not that crazy to insist on paying that kind
of money for imported cigs that are stale anyways.

"Rete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by K:
    > >
    > >
    > > I promised Dave that after the AOS i would quit. LOL but as i mentioned earlier i
    > > havent had the letter or my passport back...so does that count? LOL
    > I quit the beginning of the year myself and it wasn't too bad. But I gave in to
    > temptation after a month and bought a pack. Hey a girl's has to have some vices.
    > I don't drink and I've been smoking since age 16.
    > I laugh at the soothsayers and their second hand smoke theories. Like with all
    > things, it may come back to bite them in the arse one day. Like coffee is bad for
    > you and now it is not. Breast cancer is caused by fat in your diet, base line
    > mammos are required before age 40 and then changed to age 50 and then they are an
    > aid in catching the disease early and then it doesn't really do an adequate job at
    > catching early tumors. Hell I'm 54 and never took part in a survey re smoking or
    > any other product's use. And cigarettes are not illegal. I don't have lung cancer
    > and my dad who smoked for since his teens and is now 87 years old doesn't have lung
    > cancer either. My daughters smoke as does my sister and my husband use to smoke
    > and quit almost two years ago.
    > Oh well, as long as it is legal and I feel like I want to light up, I will.
    > Perhaps the yuppies and puppies think it is politically incorrect and many people
    > have bowed to public censor, guess I will plod along throwing political correctness
    > into the waste basket where I think it belongs.
    > Rete Tongue in Cheek
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 3:04 am
Kay Carter

So what about a decent hand rolling tobacco? Something like Golden Ginny or Old
Holborn? Bugle hardly hits the mark..... and have you seen the price of papers? $1 a
pack! Mmmmm

Kay (who got off the plane first visit and asked where she could go to roll a fag as
she was desperate for one)

.....waiting for the flak and ducking.......

"jacque robertson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
erver.ntli.net
    > Im finally leaving for Chicago on Wednesday (yehahh!!), and I am wondering if
    > anybody has suggestions for an equivalent brand of cigarettes to Royal lights. Ive
    > visited before, but always taken my own up to now. Im trying to save myself having
    > to go through trying each brand out. Royal lights
are
    > lighter than a standard strength, but slightly stronger than a
conventional
    > light. Any suggestions?? Thanks, Jacqueline

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system
(http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.384 /
Virus Database: 216 - Release Date: 8/21/2002