British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   o/t 1 more car importing question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/o-t-1-more-car-importing-question-240994/)

andrea874 Jul 8th 2004 8:40 pm

Re: o/t 1 more car importing question

Originally posted by Rete
Didn't realize that you don't have a Canadian DL. Assumed you still had the one that allowed you to drive the car to NYS. Did it expire as well as the registration?

Yeah, it expired at the same time as the insurance/registration :(

Hypertweeky Jul 9th 2004 4:02 am

Originally posted by andrea874
Yeah, it expired at the same time as the insurance/registration :(
So what's gonna be??
:)

andrea874 Jul 9th 2004 12:21 pm

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
So what's gonna be??
:)
Well I called up customs at the Newark airport, and they told me to just bring the paperwork there, that they absolutely don't need to see the car and that whoever told me that at JFK "doesn't know what they're talking about". JFK had also told me I need a drivers license, whereas Newark said literally all I need is the letter from the manufacturer, my old Canadian registration, and my passport. I also talked to Ford and asked them to re-word that letter, as I found out that its not AGAINST standards to have daytime running lights here, its just not PART OF the standards (ie not required), but the way she made it seem in the letter is that they have to be disabled. Hopefully this will all work out! Thanks for the help/advice everyone....

Rete Jul 9th 2004 1:07 pm

Well I called up customs at the Newark airport, and they told me to just bring the paperwork there, that they absolutely don't need to see the car and that whoever told me that at JFK "doesn't know what they're talking about". JFK had also told me I need a drivers license, whereas Newark said literally all I need is the letter from the manufacturer, my old Canadian registration, and my passport. I also talked to Ford and asked them to re-word that letter, as I found out that its not AGAINST standards to have daytime running lights here, its just not PART OF the standards (ie not required), but the way she made it seem in the letter is that they have to be disabled. Hopefully this will all work out! Thanks for the help/advice everyone....

WTG Andrea ... glad you found the assistance you needed to get your car on the road in New York. One worry to cross off your list.

Rete

Hypertweeky Jul 13th 2004 3:14 am

Glad to hear that!, Good Luck!:)

andrea874 Jul 13th 2004 11:39 am

Originally posted by Hypertweeky
Glad to hear that!, Good Luck!:)
I still haven't gotten down to customs yet to see if this will actually work. Bright and early tomorrow morning I'm going to try it. Eek!