Reload this Page >

NYS: Switching drivers license / road test

NYS: Switching drivers license / road test

Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

lordmuggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYS: Switching drivers license / road test

Hey,

I'm a BC living in NYC for the past 3.5 years. When I have needed to drive, I've used my UK license. However, I realize that's probably risky so I'm in the process of getting a NY license.

So, I've got the written and driving course done, and I'm just waiting to take the road test. Has anyone here switched from a UK to a US license?
- What do I need to show at the DMV test site?
- Im thinking of renting a car for the test; has anyone had difficulty with this process?
- Can you drive yourself there under the UK license?
- Any other advice?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYS: Switching drivers license / road test

Loads of threads on this, even for NY.

You can find what documents you need on the DMV site and to see if they'll allow rentals, as some states don't allow rentals.

For the test, show your cars registration and insurance documents and that should be all you need, the visa and passport and SSN you'd need for when you arrange to take the test to show you're allowed a license.

You'll be allowed to drive on your UK license to take the test, but should you fail, you might not be allowed afterwards, it all depends on the state.

Didn't realise you had to do the drivers ed if you've already got a UK license with 3+ years driving experience for NY though, that sucks

Other advice, over exaggerate your movements on the test, the looking over shoulders stuff.

Stop at stop signs, then the stop lines, then at the junction if they are staggered.

Don't speed, at all.

Don't wheel spin the car, that's pretty much a guaranteed fail, even in 6 inches of snow and you don't want to rely on traction control kicking in, so if there's snow/ice, drive really slow.

Follow the instructions, turn when told to and if not told to do something and you should, well weigh up which is more likely to cause a crash and use your judgement. I had that issue up in Maine, told to reverse 50 foot in a straight line by a snow bank, so I swerved following the bank and got a minor fault for not going in a straight line, I questioned it saying a straight line and I'd have crashed, to which I was told then I would have failed

Come back and tell us how it goes and if you fail, so we can laugh at you
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 11:31 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Didn't realise you had to do the drivers ed if you've already got a UK license with 3+ years driving experience for NY though, that sucks
Hubby & I had to take 8 hrs of drivers ed. (Yes, with a passel of 16 year-olds--such fun!!) This was CT not NY, but even though we've both got excellent UK driving records, the DMV folks said there's no exchange with UK licences.

Other advice, over exaggerate your movements on the test, the looking over shoulders stuff.
Yes, this is good advice! Be careful to look over your shoulder before you change lanes. Do it very obviously . . . EVEN if you *know* the whole road is empty. There wasn't a car anywhere near me when the test instructor suddenly asked me to change lanes, & I cast a quick look over my shoulder. Later the instructor said my backward "glance" was barely adequate, but he didn't mark me off, thank goodness. That was my only fault.
Old Jan 23rd 2012, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lordmuggins
I'm a BC living in NYC for the past 3.5 years. When I have needed to drive, I've used my UK license.
Do you have an answer for the following question, should it be asked at any time during the process:

"You are well outside your grace period for driving in NY on a foreign license. So you've been driving with nothing other than your UK license all this time?"
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Have somebody drive you there. Bring insurance, and registration. Have all the stickers on the car current. Download and read the drivers handbook. Memorize especially the teenies and alc. questions.
http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/default.html
Don't speak of your UK license and don't mention that you've been driving essentially without any valid license.
When checking mirrors and such, really ham it up for the tester.