Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC - Thanksgiving

NYC - Thanksgiving

Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold
Default NYC - Thanksgiving

I was hoping that someone might be able to suggest a place to get a reasonably traditional Thanksgiving dinner in NYC (we are staying in the Lower East Side, so a place nearby would be great). We are meeting family from the UK, so they wanted to try out a traditional meal on Thanksgiving while we are there.

I have been able to find a bunch of places doing a fixed menu, although I am struggling to find something in the neighborhood we are staying. We all arrive in the city on Thanksgiving afternoon, so we were hoping for somewhere close by.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:38 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC - Thanksgiving

How many people will be in your party? That makes a big difference. Quite a few restaurants cannot accomodate parties of 6 or more. Do you have to stay downtown? You will open up alot more options if you will go out of the area.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

mikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to beholdmikec81 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinbar
How many people will be in your party? That makes a big difference. Quite a few restaurants cannot accomodate parties of 6 or more. Do you have to stay downtown? You will open up alot more options if you will go out of the area.
There is actually going to be 8 of us. I didn't even think of that as being a problem as I am so used to making reservations for just the two of us.

I think the preference is definitely to stay downtown. We won't have a car while we are there, and after all the traveling to get there that afternoon, I'm not sure anyone will be inclined to use public transport!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:44 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

That makes a big difference! I live in NYC and work in the restaurant business. Let me see if I can come up with some options for you. Are there any young children and do you need a high chair or booster seat? Not all restaurants have them.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinbar
That makes a big difference! I live in NYC and work in the restaurant business. Let me see if I can come up with some options for you. Are there any young children and do you need a high chair or booster seat? Not all restaurants have them.
No kids on this trip (thankfully)...

Thanks for helping out.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:49 pm

Try Supper.

Supper
.156 E. Second St. (bet. Aves. A & B) Manhattan, NY 10009.Phone: 212-477-7600.Website: www.supperrestaurant.com.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 4:59 pm

Also www.thesmithnyc.com.
You acn also try going on Opentable. They are a reservation website. Not every restaurant is on it but quite a few are. You can put in the date, time number of people in your party and area that you are looking for and it will tell you what retuarants have availabilty that are in their system! Glad to help!

Last edited by penguinbar; Oct 28th 2010 at 5:00 pm. Reason: Excuse my crap typing!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Look through these for prices and menus and location.

http://gonyc.about.com/od/thanksgivi...ing_Dinner.htm
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the suggestions. We decided to make reservations for Supper - it was close to the hotel, has some great reviews, and had a good price.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I like the looks of the Thanksgiving price fixe menu on this one: [and it is in SoHo]

http://gonyc.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...nksgiving.html
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Rete
I like the looks of the Thanksgiving price fixe menu on this one: [and it is in SoHo]

http://gonyc.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1...nksgiving.html
It's a lovely restaurant. I'v been there but It would be hard to accomadate large parties.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by mikec81
Thanks for all the suggestions. We decided to make reservations for Supper - it was close to the hotel, has some great reviews, and had a good price.

Thanks again!
Hope you have a great time! Let us know how it goes!