Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC INS waiting times?

NYC INS waiting times?

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hope is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NYC INS waiting times?

Have finally sent off I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to NYC INS. After reading the grim experiences of those filing with this office, am wondering how long we'll have to wait for the AP and EAD documents. Any recent experiences? Also, am now in fear of the AP application being rejected.
Old Aug 3rd 2002, 9:20 pm
Strike

Default Re: NYC INS waiting times?

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'NYC INS waiting
times?' and 'Hope: tasty but deadly.'

>Have finally sent off I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to NYC INS. After reading the
    >grim experiences of those filing with this office, am wondering how long we'll have
    >to wait for the AP and EAD documents. Any recent experiences? Also, am now in fear
    >of the AP application being rejected.

Posted about this the other day... file AOS, AP and EAD on April 17th and this week
finally got an appointment for EAD - on *October 4th* - so about 170 days from
filing. Nothing on AP yet.

Cheers,

Marco

Old Aug 4th 2002, 9:20 pm
Michael

Filed AOS, AP, EAD on June 10th. Received receipt a week later and received letter
for EAD appointment this week. Appointment scheduled for October 17th. As with the
previous post, nothing on AP yet.

Mike

"Hope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Have finally sent off I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to NYC INS. After reading the
    > grim experiences of those filing with this office, am wondering how long we'll have
    > to wait for the AP and EAD documents. Any recent experiences? Also, am now in fear
    > of the AP application being rejected.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Old Aug 5th 2002, 3:20 am
James Donovan

Hope <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Have finally sent off I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to NYC INS. After reading the
    > grim experiences of those filing with this office, am wondering how long we'll have
    > to wait for the AP and EAD documents.

2 Months is now average in NYC for EAD's and AP. 1 Year for interview, after
interview 2 months for the actual card. Yes, you saw right. They are now FAST.
(comparitively).

> Also, am now in fear of the AP application being rejected.

And this would be why?

Old Aug 5th 2002, 10:20 am
Strike

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'Re: NYC INS
waiting times?' and 'James Donovan: tasty but deadly.'

>2 Months is now average in NYC for EAD's and AP. 1 Year for interview, after
    >interview 2 months for the actual card. Yes, you saw right. They are now FAST.
    >(comparitively).

Where do you get that information from? I'd love it to be true but my experience so
far has differed. Drastically.

Cheers,

Marco

Old Aug 5th 2002, 5:20 pm
Jesse

[email protected] (James Donovan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    >
    > 2 Months is now average in NYC for EAD's and AP. 1 Year for interview, after
    > interview 2 months for the actual card. Yes, you saw right. They are now FAST.
    > (comparitively).
    >
That is terrific news. Where did you come across this infomation?

Jesse

Old Aug 5th 2002, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Prince is an unknown quantity at this point

I filed for AOS late May. It took me 2 - 3 weeks to receive the receipt. I received my EAD appointment letter around 3 weeks ago, with a date set for early September. So from date on the receipt to the date for the EAD appointment is ~ 95 days.
Old Aug 6th 2002, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

mdeveaux is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Hope
Have finally sent off I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765 to NYC INS. After reading the grim experiences of those filing with this office, am wondering how long we'll have to wait for the AP and EAD documents. Any recent experiences? Also, am now in fear of the AP application being rejected.
Filed the pack on May10th, received EAD appointment letter today August 6th, appointment in third week of November.

I take it, that's all I need to work, the EAD letter? (Still don't have a A#) :PARTY:

No AP yet!

Last edited by mdeveaux; Aug 6th 2002 at 9:44 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2002, 1:45 pm
Chris Parker

> I take it, that's all I need to work, the EAD letter? (Still don't have a
    > A#) :PARTY:
    > No AP yet!

Actually, no you can't work because the "receipt rule" only applies to applicants for
temporary residence, not temporary work permission. Of course, employers don't know
the difference anyway so you can try.

Regarding AP, the NYC INS issues AP about a month after you get an EAD. They want
you to bring your EAD with you (as well as passport and new photos) to the AP
appointment for photo identification and proof of pending adjustment also.

Therefore, it'll be a while before you get AP, and yeah, it is a real nuisance.

CP

Old Aug 8th 2002, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

mdeveaux is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for, seems I'm OK for an Intermin EAD, which I'll go and ask for tomorrow.

>AP
I guess I'll have my familly come visit me for Christmas.
Old Aug 8th 2002, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re: NYC INS waiting times?

Originally posted by Chris Parker
[BRegarding AP, the NYC INS issues AP about a month after you get an EAD. They want
you to bring your EAD with you (as well as passport and new photos) to the AP
appointment for photo identification and proof of pending adjustment also.

Therefore, it'll be a while before you get AP, and yeah, it is a real nuisance.

CP
[/B]
Really? When did they change their policy? For the last three odd years that was not so. They would send the receipt of filing petitions usually within the first three weeks of mailing. The EAD appointment letter would arrive between 1 and 2 months from date of filing. The A/P appointment letter would also arrive that same day or a day or two later from the EAD appointment letter. All that is required to pickup the Advance Parole from NYC is photo identification for which your passport is sufficient. Never was asked to "show" an EAD card in order to pick up the two A/P's we had.

Rete
Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:03 pm
Chris Parker

> Really? When did they change their policy? For the last three odd years that was
    > not so. They would send the receipt of filing petitions usually within the first
    > three weeks of mailing. The EAD appointment letter would arrive between 1 and 2
    > months from date of filing. The A/P appointment letter would also arrive that same
    > day or a day or two later from the EAD appointment letter. All that is required to
    > pickup the Advance Parole from NYC is photo identification for which your passport
    > is sufficient. Never was asked to "show" an EAD card in order to pick up the two
    > A/P's we had.

They changed their policy on March 25, 2002, effective April 1, 2002. The notice is
on their local INS office webpage: All persons must appear in person and be
interviewed to receive AP now.

This is what happened in our case:

I485/I765/I131 was mailed on March 17, 2002 and receipted March 27, 2002. The EAD
appointment letter was sent on May 2, 2002 for a June 10, 2002 appointment.
I sent a copy of my filing receipt and copy of the EAD as additional
evidence of eligibility for AP on June 17, 2002, and sent them again with a
request for status of the application on July 2, 2002. The AP appointment
letter was sent July 5, 2002 for a July 16, 2002 appointment. The
requirement to show the EAD and the dating of the AP as June 25, 2002 was
applied uniformly to everyone else waiting for AP. Many people were also
refused AP because someone else tried to appear on their behalf to pickup
the document; the officer told each individual that not even the lawyer can
pickup the AP for alien. I would presume this procedure is to ensure that
the alien is physically present in the U.S. when AP is issued.

We had to wait 1 hour after arriving with our appointment to receive the AP document,
and this was strange because people who arrived after us got out with their AP
sooner. We asked once if we missed our call, and the officer said not yet. Of
course, we have a strange adjustment case (re-filing I485 after abandonment of a
prior application, departing the U.S., and re-entering with AP), so they probably
needed to retrieve the A-file for us to see if we were in removal proceedings,
ordered removed, or if our parole had been terminated early prior to filing for
adjustment which would have caused us to accrued 180 days or more of unlawful
presence since entering the U.S. (we were lawfully present solely on parole for
almost 10 months before refiling for adjustment).

CP

Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Chris

NYC INS NEVER mailed the A/P to the recipient. It was always policy to pick the A/P up in person and it had to be the person for whom it was intended. An attorney was never allowed to pick it up for you. And you always had to show photo identification in order to get it. Even back in 1998 and 1999 the EAD appointment was for three or six days before the AP appointment. So there is absolutely nothing new about the procedure you are describing.

Rete
Old Aug 8th 2002, 10:35 pm
Concierge

Also the EAD and the AP were NEVER dated for the date of pickup but normally dated the date on the appointment letter sent you or even earlier so that you never had a full year with either the EAD or AP.

Rete
Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:58 pm
Chris Parker

> NYC INS NEVER mailed the A/P to the recipient. It was always policy to pick the
    > A/P up in person and it had to be the person for whom it was intended. An attorney
    > was never allowed to pick it up for you. And you always had to show photo
    > identification in order to get it. Even back in 1998 and 1999 the EAD appointment
    > was for three or six days before the AP appointment. So there is absolutely
    > nothing new about the procedure you are describing.

That's what I thought; you were the one asking if somethign had changed. Perhaps the
asking for the EAD as additional photo identification and/or proof of pending
adjustment is new.

Our I485 filing receipt is dated March 27, 2002. Our 2-year wedding anniversary is
this upcoming January 2002. NYC has a normal, published processing time of 1 year
from filing now (presumably the result of increased filing fees that went into effect
this past February). When do you suppose we should receive our adjustment interview
appointment notice and fingerprinting appointment notice?

CP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.