Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC in December, Take Two

NYC in December, Take Two

Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC in December, Take Two

Wow - thanks for the tips everyone!!!! We may have to go every year at this rate.

I actually talked with my friend a few minutes ago. We're both just not willing to shell out $400+/night on a hotel. We could, but we'd rather spend our money in other ways.

My friend is a physician, and knows many doctors from school, etc. who live in NYC. Three have offered to put us up for varying stints so we may see what works out there. My friend actually spent 2 months in Zambia as part of a medical outreach program earlier this year, and one doctor who was there with her has invited us. Hmm ... wonder how much of their conversation I'll understand. But ... it looks like we might do that, arriving with wine, etc. for our hosts.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you'll have a fabulous time
Old Oct 13th 2009, 12:50 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Ah, but you didn't know I was cutting pictures of the Statue of Liberty out of the newspaper when I was 4 years old! (True, I still have one.) That's pretty much top on my list.
if all you want is to nip across to the Statue of Liberty then take the boats that go from Battery Park rather than the much longer Circle Line cruises (although the Circle Line does serve beer on board).

another tip - if you want to go up a tall building I'd recommend the Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building: cheaper, virtually no lines, and the view's just as good. But wrap up warm: take it from me it can get bloody windy up there in December.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 2:15 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: NYC in December, Take Two

Originally Posted by elfman
if all you want is to nip across to the Statue of Liberty then take the boats that go from Battery Park rather than the much longer Circle Line cruises (although the Circle Line does serve beer on board).

another tip - if you want to go up a tall building I'd recommend the Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building: cheaper, virtually no lines, and the view's just as good. But wrap up warm: take it from me it can get bloody windy up there in December.
You're right Elfman on both counts.

Also if you have an AAA card you can get a discount on entrance fees to the Top of the Rock (they also sell a combined discounted ticket for MoMa - the Museum of Modern Art - a couple of streets away).

Personally I think the view from the 'Rock' is much better than from the ESB....you get a great view of the ESB from the 'Rock' and indeed I have a great photo of the ESB which I took from the top of the 'Rock', which I've had enlarged in B&W and it's on the wall in our apt in Singapore.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:07 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kaffy,
I live in Manhattan. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions that you have as well.