Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC car obligations

NYC car obligations

Old Nov 20th 2019, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC car obligations

Looking at the internet, it does show for NYC something like what I have, so probably it is it. It seems it was the back of the sticker, says retain as described previously. Is yellow watermarked.

so turns out I had taken a photocopy of it and put in the car, however just read ‘don’t keep this in the car’, so would a copy in my wallet be ok or has to be original (bound to get ruined in wallet over time).
Old Nov 20th 2019, 10:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, it is yellow. Use to be pink. Forgot that it had been changed. (Registration). Thanks for the jog in memory.

My title has always been white. Only ever had the one from the original buying of the vehicle and that came when the loan was paid off. Perhaps the one from the DMV is pink?

I got my first license and car in 1968 before Louis was a gleam in his dad's eyes.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 20th 2019 at 10:26 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Yup, it is yellow. Use to be pink. Forgot that it had been changed. (Registration). Thanks for the jog in memory.

My title has always been white. Only ever had the one from the original buying of the vehicle and that came when the loan was paid off. Perhaps the one from the DMV is pink?

I got my first license and car in 1968 before Louis was a gleam in his dad's eyes.
hey, yeah yellow, all makes sense now. My title isn’t pink either, but I do recall that’s where the term pink slips did come from.

seems I’m all good now, other that deciding if it’s ok to keep a copy rather than original about me and whether in the car on in my wallet.

also not sure when I need to pay to renew but it does say expires 2021 so I think I’ll just leave it to then.

thanks for all the help everyone, sort of thing is so simple when you know but can be confusing for a newcomer, especially since all the terms are slightly different.

in Uk the reg doc V5 is the title (ownership doc, free), the annual charge is the road tax, safety inspection is MOT and we don’t have insurance cards as such, just an insurance certificate. Similar but confusingly different also.
Old Nov 21st 2019, 2:50 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouisB
hey, yeah yellow, all makes sense now. My title isn’t pink either, but I do recall that’s where the term pink slips did come from.

seems I’m all good now, other that deciding if it’s ok to keep a copy rather than original about me and whether in the car on in my wallet.

also not sure when I need to pay to renew but it does say expires 2021 so I think I’ll just leave it to then.

thanks for all the help everyone, sort of thing is so simple when you know but can be confusing for a newcomer, especially since all the terms are slightly different.

in Uk the reg doc V5 is the title (ownership doc, free), the annual charge is the road tax, safety inspection is MOT and we don’t have insurance cards as such, just an insurance certificate. Similar but confusingly different also.
You will receive a notice in the mail a couple of months before the expiration date of the registration, with renewal information.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

You will receive a notice in the mail a couple of months before the expiration date of the registration, with renewal information.
ahah happy days, that should be fine then, thanks!
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

I did some digging and it seems conflicting information but it seems to be true to the law only the original is accepted for display in a stop.

so I have just put the original in the car to be safe.

seems there is a fear of a small risk of identity theft, it could be carried in wallet so it can’t be taken from the car but I don’t want to lose it. Probably over thinking it now, I’m sure it should be fine...
Old Nov 24th 2019, 9:32 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

In NYC we had some sticker in the window and
the registration and Insurnace were printed at home from PDF. No special papers. Same in CT, maybe I don’t have a title because one was leased and the next financed, same in CT... I thought they only asked for your “Lisence and Registration” I keep a color photo copy of my wife and my DL in both cats as well in case the original gets lost. To be honest I am not sure they care that much, they look you up from the plates before they even get to the window to ask you anyway... what they find probably determines if the gun is drawn or not as they approach.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 10:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

In CT, both my registration and insurance come with two copies. One marked to be kept in the vehicle, the other marked to be held in a safe place and used for transfer or disposal of the vehicle.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 1:29 am
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
In CT, both my registration and insurance come with two copies. One marked to be kept in the vehicle, the other marked to be held in a safe place and used for transfer or disposal of the vehicle.
like snail mail? I just get an email PDF for insurance and renew the registration online and print it out.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:08 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by tht

like snail mail? I just get an email PDF for insurance and renew the registration online and print it out.
No, both of them downloaded and printed.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:48 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is always by snail mail. My preference. Thank you very much.

In NYC, tht, that some kind of sticker is your inspection sticker and your registration sticker. Both are displayed on the lower windshield driver's side. If stopped for a traffic violation you will need to show the officer the yellow registration card, your insurance card and your driver's license. Copies of your driver's license isn't going to cut it. Get a traffic violation and let us know how you fared with only copies.

Why are people so worried about losing licenses and/or registrations. Do these people lose their purses and wallets often? Any one who wants to look up your address can do so online. They don't need to see your driver's license to get your address. AFAIR, your social security number is not on your license, registration or vehicle insurance proof.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 10:49 am
tht

Originally Posted by Rete
Mine is always by snail mail. My preference. Thank you very much.
... Copies of your driver's license isn't going to cut it. Get a traffic violation and let us know how you fared with only copies.
despite the extra cost of printing I do online for security. At least now with USPS informed delivery you know if something goes missing after it’s hit the sorting facility.. but in general I won’t do business with companies that can’t do all electronic.

I have never been fully pulled over, there was 1 occasion in NZ, where the cop tried to get me to cause a traffic violation but pulling me over, but I did not fall for it.

i am not sure what your point is on copies of the license. Both mine and my wife’s originals are on the back of our phones in the card case with a credit card. if we ever lost or forgot them I don’t see how having a high deff copy would hurt... but it sounds like you have more experience than I do on the subject so I defer to you.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht

despite the extra cost of printing I do online for security. At least now with USPS informed delivery you know if something goes missing after it’s hit the sorting facility.. but in general I won’t do business with companies that can’t do all electronic.

I have never been fully pulled over, there was 1 occasion in NZ, where the cop tried to get me to cause a traffic violation but pulling me over, but I did not fall for it.

i am not sure what your point is on copies of the license. Both mine and my wife’s originals are on the back of our phones in the card case with a credit card. if we ever lost or forgot them I don’t see how having a high deff copy would hurt... but it sounds like you have more experience than I do on the subject so I defer to you.
I tend to scan and make copies of everything, which is also then automatically backed up. Can’t hurt.

however the car registration is a sticker to be attached in the windshield, so think that has to be snail mail, unless you somehow print or make your own.

also for title, I presume being able to hold the original is important.

for insurance etc I’ve done it all online. It’s just the bits you need legally to ‘install’ or show on demand in the car that I was concerned over, having the right bits and whether copies are ok, e.g. a copy of the yellow bit (Paper card) of the registration.

however if you can do the whole registration ‘online’ and then just print what you need, that’s essentially a copy so if so, it must be ok to use copies for that...

(I’ve never been stopped but as a relative newcomer I feel I should be extra cautious, just in case)

Last edited by LouisB; Nov 25th 2019 at 4:44 pm.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 7:01 pm
tht

Originally Posted by LouisB
I tend to scan and make copies of everything, which is also then automatically backed up. Can’t hurt.

however the car registration is a sticker to be attached in the windshield, so think that has to be snail mail, unless you somehow print or make your own.

also for title, I presume being able to hold the original is important.

for insurance etc I’ve done it all online. It’s just the bits you need legally to ‘install’ or show on demand in the car that I was concerned over, having the right bits and whether copies are ok, e.g. a copy of the yellow bit (Paper card) of the registration.

however if you can do the whole registration ‘online’ and then just print what you need, that’s essentially a copy so if so, it must be ok to use copies for that...

(I’ve never been stopped but as a relative newcomer I feel I should be extra cautious, just in case)
yes I had the sticker in NY, you don’t get one in CT, I think you only have the title document if you own it outright so a lease or finance and the bank will have it. I recall dong an emissions test in NY, but had been changing cars every 3 years or so and avoided it In CT so far... in a a “keeper” joe so will see... the biggest pain here is that every state is different, so you learn it, move and it all changes....
Old Nov 26th 2019, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tht

yes I had the sticker in NY, you don’t get one in CT, I think you only have the title document if you own it outright so a lease or finance and the bank will have it. I recall dong an emissions test in NY, but had been changing cars every 3 years or so and avoided it In CT so far... in a a “keeper” joe so will see... the biggest pain here is that every state is different, so you learn it, move and it all changes....
hmmm hadn’t thought about emissions testing, car is 1 year old, does it start at a certain age. Will look into that.

i have my title, as I didn’t finance the car.

every state is different, yeah I’m coming to appreciate that. Kinda seems like something worth standardising, would be so much simpler...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.