Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC car obligations

NYC car obligations

Old Nov 19th 2019, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default NYC car obligations

Hey, had a car in the US for about 8 months now, thinking ahead about what has to be done in terms of keeping it legal.
I’m in New York, car is registered there.

what needs to happen?

i believe before year is up I need to renew safety inspection, annually, like a U.K. mot?
what else, do I need to pay annual road tax or other fees, DMV or otherwise? (when I first got the car this was all done for me by the dealer, so I’m still a bit in the dark now)

naturally I’ll take care of road insurance as it comes up for renewal.

anything else?

finally, if I move state, what do I need to do and can I keep it legally in use during the move?

I don’t want to break any laws, accidentally or otherwise!

thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:16 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC car obligations

Originally Posted by LouisB
Hey, had a car in the US for about 8 months now, thinking ahead about what has to be done in terms of keeping it legal.
I’m in New York, car is registered there.

what needs to happen?

i believe before year is up I need to renew safety inspection, annually, like a U.K. mot?
what else, do I need to pay annual road tax or other fees, DMV or otherwise? (when I first got the car this was all done for me by the dealer, so I’m still a bit in the dark now)

naturally I’ll take care of road insurance as it comes up for renewal.

anything else?

finally, if I move state, what do I need to do and can I keep it legally in use during the move?

I don’t want to break any laws, accidentally or otherwise!

thanks!
Look at your vehicle registration. That will have the expiration date on it. You will also receive a renewal notice and instructions in the mail. If you move to a different state, you go to the local DMV to re-register the vehicle in that state and will advise your insurance company of the change.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Look at your vehicle registration. That will have the expiration date on it. You will also receive a renewal notice and instructions in the mail. If you move to a different state, you go to the local DMV to re-register the vehicle in that state and will advise your insurance company of the change.

thanks.

ok which is the registration, one of the stickers in the windscreen? I think there are two, plus a long number in the windshield, like a vin.

can I renew it online and how much approx (regular suv 5 seat car)?

nothing else to do? Just dmv registration.
No road tax?
Old Nov 19th 2019, 3:58 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends on your specific county as to how much, for example I only pay $25 a year per vehicle but if I lived one county over it would be over $100 as they have wheel tax etc. You may also have emissions tests (again not something I have so can't help with). My county lets you renew online, in person or by mail but you have to pay about $3 extra unless you pay in person.

The expiration is usually a little sticker on the license plate.

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Nov 19th 2019 at 4:01 am.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

In NYS the registration is the bigger white windscreen sticker which lasts two years and the roadworthiness/emissions is the smaller coloured sticker which lasts one year. You’re also required to carry a copy of the registration and your insurance certificate in the car to produce with your licence if stopped.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

ok which is the registration, one of the stickers in the windscreen? I think there are two, plus a long number in the windshield, like a vin.

No road tax?
There should be two stickers on the window. One is for registration and the other for inspection. RJ spelt it out for you but I believe it is written on each sticker what it is for.

You need to have the car inspected at an approved service center by the last day of the month punched on the sticker.

The registration sticker expiration date is the same date as the paper one in your glove compartment or wallet or wherever you keep it. Memory don't fail me ... but registration is every two years but inspection is yearly.

Other than auto insurance (proof of which needs to be in your glove compartment) that is it.

NYC and Westchester County do not have what you call road tax. Some states/counties do and most call it personal property tax paid yearly. Mine is due in July of each year.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 19th 2019 at 12:09 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 1:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

thanks.

No road tax?
The DMV has all the information that you need. NYS DMV Registrations Page If you move to another state, look up the requirements at that state's DMV site. You will register the car with the new state, then return your plates to their state of origin. All the instructions are online.
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok thanks everyone, it’s much clearer now.

so basically;

safety inspection yearly, I did this when first bought the car so familiar with getting that done again.
nyc registration is every 2 years so don’t need to worry about that just yet.

I do carry my insurance in the car, will check I have a copy of registration (not sure what it looks like but I probably did put it in there originally).

sounds like I’m all set then, will read up on moving state when it comes to it, seems mostly like dmv re-registration for new address in new state.

thanks!
Old Nov 19th 2019, 11:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks everyone, it’s much clearer now.

so basically;

safety inspection yearly, I did this when first bought the car so familiar with getting that done again.
nyc registration is every 2 years so don’t need to worry about that just yet.

I do carry my insurance in the car, will check I have a copy of registration (not sure what it looks like but I probably did put it in there originally).

sounds like I’m all set then, will read up on moving state when it comes to it, seems mostly like dmv re-registration for new address in new state.

thanks!
In New York, it is a small pink card.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
hmm not confident I have one of those, I will look for it tomorrow.

if lost, can I get a replacement? The sticker is in the car but the dealer did that for me, not sure they gave me a pink card as well, when I picked it up.

will check...
Old Nov 20th 2019, 2:57 am
Deep in the woods of CT

if lost, can I get a replacement? The sticker is in the car but the dealer did that for me, not sure they gave me a pink card as well, when I picked it up.

will check...
Did you look at the DMV link I provided for you? There’s an item right there with instructions on how to replace a registration.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Did you look at the DMV link I provided for you? There’s an item right there with instructions on how to replace a registration.
ahah so there is, also it is only $3 and can be done online.

however, I’ll try to find, surely I must have been given this in which case either in the car or my doc wallet which I put away and didn’t touch since. Thanks for the heads-up on it, I’ll get a replacement if can’t find it this week...
Old Nov 20th 2019, 1:40 pm
Concierge

will check...
Look in the booklet / folder that is in your glove compartment. Might be in there.
Old Nov 20th 2019, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok found a small piece of yellow paper which says;

Keep this document to show the police and courts.

New York state registration document.

... details of car...

annual charge $243, although it doesn’t expire until 2021 meaning 2 years!?

has barcode on it too.

is this what I need to keep in the car along with the registration sticker?

if so, great, will just put in the car.

slight puzzles over it are;

a. Is not pink, more like a water market yellow, is this the right doc still?
b. Says annual fee $243 which seems not to be something renewed every two years as previously mentioned. how can it be annually charged yet have a 2 year expiry? Sorry if I’m being dumb here.

So is this right? Why is it needed in addition to the sticker if had same info? I should renew this annually Or at least pay again the $243 every year?
Old Nov 20th 2019, 7:02 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Rete
Rete, I haven't been in NYS for some time so I am possibly way out of date, but when I was, it was the title to the vehicle that was pink, not the registration (hence the term "pink slip"). Has that changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.