Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC or Cape Town?

NYC or Cape Town?

Old Aug 22nd 2014, 7:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC or Cape Town?

Originally Posted by Battibobs
Hi, thank you everyone. All of that is really helpful. Regarding JFK, it's because his office is based near there rather than in Central NY. I have been looking at the long beach/ Long Island area today online so if anyone has any suggestions of nice places to live there that would be great.
Then it doesn't make sense for you to look anywhere except on Long Island. Afraid I don't have the knowledge of the area that would help you, but basically the further east one goes, the more expensive it becomes. The Hamptons is a lovely area, but very pricey.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:31 pm
TMR
Account Closed

TMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond reputeTMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
While both are going to be a culture shock, I suspect that most people from the UK would settle more easily in the New York area than in Cape Town. Sure New York has some very iffy parts of town, but out in the 'burbs of Long Island is quite pleasant. Conversely I get the impression that not only does Cape Town have much larger "don't go there" areas, but that the political situation in the country is steadily declining.
Hard to express a view unless you have experience of both places. I do, and for me white South Africans are far more like Brits than Americans are. You may find it easier to make genuine friends, at least initially. Once you get to know the place better you'll also find yourself making black/coloured friends quite easile. Helps if you have some enthusiasm for rugby. There's a nice sense of community in CT.

Personally I don't like America much (NYC isn't bad if you can live within the city), but of course it may be your thing.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TMR
Hard to express a view unless you have experience of both places. I do, and for me white South Africans are far more like Brits than Americans are. You may find it easier to make genuine friends, at least initially. Once you get to know the place better you'll also find yourself making black/coloured friends quite easile. Helps if you have some enthusiasm for rugby. There's a nice sense of community in CT.

Personally I don't like America much (NYC isn't bad if you can live within the city), but of course it may be your thing.
I think you're right, focussing on the people and society. Personally I loath rugby with a passion, even more than soccer, as I was forced to play rugby at high school and hated every dämn minute! My view was based more on the security and crime situation, and the political and economic direction of the country.

That said I hated New York, and the job I had there, enough to quit my job, pack everything we had into a truck and leave.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

jm1101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Manhattan and have a 4 and a half year old son, I would examine Cape Town... NYC is tough with kids, it's a cultural experience and wealthy in that sense, but kids lack the outdoor space here, even wealthy ones. I guess Long Island offers space...I don't know too much about LI, but Cape Town I have some very cosmopolitan friends who.went over there for work and fell in love with the place, they'd always be posting pics of themselves out hiking at the weekends or at someone's beautiful home, eating all fresco in some sprawling outdoor space. I loved NYC before I had kids, now it's tough because I don't get to go out so much and enjoy the restaurants, art and nightlife...so I wish I had a beautiful large home with large garden to entertain in. I have met some nice South Africans..
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:02 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

While both are going to be a culture shock, I suspect that most people from the UK would settle more easily in the New York area than in Cape Town. Sure New York has some very iffy parts of town, but out in the 'burbs of Long Island is quite pleasant. Conversely I get the impression that not only does Cape Town have much larger "don't go there" areas, but that the political situation in the country is steadily declining.

Coincidentally I met a SA lawyer the other day, a middle aged guy, who has just relocated his family from SA because things are getting worse in SA. He is now working in an off licence while he does courses and exams to qualify as a lawyer in the US.
It is actually easier to settle in the Cape than in New York simply because there are loads of expats there as well as the British influence. Weatherwise the Cape is better, and the quality of life can be pretty good. Saying that, if the relocation is long term with the prospect of permanence then NY is the way to go. Things are changing in SA rather quickly and the Cape is the final frontier. Few years, Cape is great but not for the long haul.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 4:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
... Things are changing in SA rather quickly and the Cape is the final frontier. Few years, Cape is great but not for the long haul.
Which was my underlying point, though not clearly articulated.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Battibobs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it looks like we re off to New York just after Christmas. Does anyone have any advice on good areas to live? Relatively near JFK?
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Queens many good areas...do you plan on getting your driving licence over here? You have to take road test all over again by the way. Area of Queens depends if you need to be connected to subway. If you drive you could live in one of the nicer areas close to LI boarder like Bayside for example..
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Also do.you have kids..
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Battibobs
..... Does anyone have any advice on good areas to live? Relatively near JFK?
Ideally, how near would be "relatively near" to JFK? How many miles/ minutes? ..... Congestion in NY might put you closer in miles in order to get you near your ideal journey time.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:37 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Which was my underlying point, though not clearly articulated.
you are so gracious that I will forgive you for disliking rugby and footie.� ����

Last edited by Tegwyn; Aug 27th 2014 at 2:35 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Battibobs is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have a 2 year old daughter so would need access to some good childcare options. In terms of relatively near I am unsure really as it would be my husband needing to make the journey. He commutes to Paris at the moment from Notiingham so distance isn't really an issue, though the easier it could be, the better. I think we would aim to take a driving test as it would make life easier for us but we are happy to use public transport too. We would need to until we got sorted out anyway. I was looking at Queens and Brooklyn yesterday. Are there any good family areas around there?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:53 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Hey
I live in Queens, also with a young (3 year old) daughter. There are certainly a lot of nice areas but also a lot of horrible ones, Queens is a big, big borough. You might want to look more closely at Long Island, they have some great schools out there. The area around JFK isn't particularly pleasant. Take a look at Jamaica Estates, Hollis Hills, Garden City, Malvern and Manhasset - they are some of the nicer areas that aren't a million miles away from JFK.
If your husband has to commute to the JFK area every single day then I'd rule out Brooklyn to be honest. He'll be in traffic or on a subway train for hours every day. If not, take a look at Park Slope in Brooklyn.
Any other questions, feel free to ask/PM me