Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC affordable on this transfer?

NYC affordable on this transfer?

Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by penguinbar
The Upper East Side is actually one of the more affordable neighborhoods in Manhattan. East of Lexington Avenue anyway.It used to be one of the most expensive. You still can get a rent stabilised apartmentif you look but not a rent controlled one. Unless you've lived in an apartment since 1971 it's not going to be rent controlled. Tribeca, The Upper West Side, Soho, Greenwich Village are much more expensive. Even the East Village has gotten pricey. I have a friend who lives in a 4 bedroom 2 bath duplex apartment on 78th and 2nd with a backyard for $3600 so she pays $900 a month. She's been there just under a year and found it on craigslist.Another lives in a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath on 93rd and 2nd for $2400 so her part is $800. You'll have a hard time finding a share for under $1000 but it can be done. You will have utilities as well. Forget about the Bronx all together.

Costco is on East 117th and we are getting a Fairways on East 86th which is an easy walk from my apartment. Also if you use coupons and look for sales you would be amazed at how much money you can save. I got my $87 grocery bill down to $18 with coupons and sale items a few weeks ago.
The coupon crap is a little alien to Brits. I've lived here 15 years and still can't come to grips with it. I love shopping in the UK because the ticket price is the price I pay...none of the smoke and mirrors crap you get here. Just give me the bottom line...I don't want to play childish games...ie how much discount do I get it I have an internet coupon or store card etc etc etc.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:41 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The coupon crap is a little alien to Brits. I've lived here 15 years and still can't come to grips with it. I love shopping in the UK because the ticket price is the price I pay...none of the smoke and mirrors crap you get here. Just give me the bottom line...I don't want to play childish games...ie how much discount do I get it I have an internet coupon or store card etc etc etc.
I actually enjoy couponing. My best friend who moved to the UK 20 years ago says she hates that there aren't coupons there. Why would you not want to save extra money? I know it's alien to Brits but I don't get why you think it's childish. It's your perogative not to use them but I am trying to help Reena save some money here if she decides to move to the US.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I actually enjoy couponing. My best friend who moved to the UK 20 years ago says she hates that there aren't coupons there. Why would you not want to save extra money? I know it's alien to Brits but I don't get why you think it's childish. It's your perogative not to use them but I am trying to help Reena save some money here if she decides to move to the US.
In the UK discounts on goods are applied to everyone...not just the peeps with coupons. Cutting out little bits of paper is soooo last century...a little like the US banking system. It's the sort of thing Brits did after WWII.

Edit: I keep telling myself...life here isn't better or worse...just different.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 27th 2011 at 3:54 am.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:59 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too impressed with the UK banking system. I can get the last 7 years of my statements online. My husband can only get the last 6 months on his UK accounts! There are discounts on goods here. Coupons just add the extra discount.

I'm a born and bred New Yorker. I just love a bargain!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I'm not too impressed with the UK banking system. I can get the last 7 years of my statements online. My husband can only get the last 6 months on his UK accounts! There are discounts on goods here. Coupons just add the extra discount.

I'm a born and bred New Yorker. I just love a bargain!
I bank with the Nat West and I can bring up statements far older than 6 months.

You are a born and bred New Yorker and used to the US system. Me...I'm a Brit and used to the UK system. Like I said...it's just different...but the older I get the more I lean toward they system/life I am more familiar/comfortable with.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you Jerseygirl, I don't get the coupon thing here either and have so many of these store card things in my purse that it's a pain in the you know what. I love a bargain too but can't be bothered spending my time looking for coupons, must be a Brit thing
Old Jun 27th 2011, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by anuny
Groceries in Manhattan are generally about 15-30% more expensive than the other boroughs. And, in some neighborhoods as high as 75-100% more. In my neighborhood a loaf of whole wheat is $3.99, and a gallon of milk $4.19. Eggs are $4.00 a dozen. A Quart of Juice (on sale) $3.39 ( This is this morning's receipt )

A pint of beer even in the cheapest dive will be $5. If you go regularly to your neighborhood bar, maybe the third pint in on the house. .

Welcome to the Big Apple !!!!!
I dunno what it's like in Hell's Kitchen, but at my local supermarket on the Upper East Side a dozen eggs is $1.79 and a quart of orange juice is $2. A quart of milk is $1.19. In the local pub a pint of Yuengling is $4. Some items, like meat for example, are much cheaper than the UK.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I dunno what it's like in Hell's Kitchen, but at my local supermarket on the Upper East Side a dozen eggs is $1.79 and a quart of orange juice is $2. A quart of milk is $1.19. In the local pub a pint of Yuengling is $4. Some items, like meat for example, are much cheaper than the UK.
I agree.I'm also on the Upper East Side and I don't pay those prices and I can be bothered with coupons. My mother -in-law in the UK constantly uses vouchers for trains,buses and hotels and anything else she can find. Our hotel in Edinburgh was free because she had saved vouchers for it from the newspaper. To each his own but I would rather spend a bit of time cutting coupons and using club cards to save money! Costco has great prices on meat and very good quality. I have a friend that goes top a local butcher on East 110 that he says has great prices on meat. Let me know if you're interested Blade Runner and I'll get you the name.

I can get a pint for $3.00 in the local pub and $4.00 for a well drink. There is an Irish pub on practically every block up here asnd they are all in competition during happy hour!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Hells Kitchen's big grocery stores are all squeezed out. Given the expansion pressures from Bway and new highrises. A quart of milk at 1.19 is expensive, Pint of beer at $4 is cheap. Between Amish Market, and Whole Food; it is a whole paycheck
Old Jun 27th 2011, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by anuny
Hells Kitchen's big grocery stores are all squeezed out. Given the expansion pressures from Bway and new highrises. A quart of milk at 1.19 is expensive, Pint of beer at $4 is cheap. Between Amish Market, and Whole Food; it is a whole paycheck
I remember when I lived in Soho in the mid 80's . Not a supermarket in sight! I agree that Hell's Kitchen would be a tough place to shop.Have you tried Costco? I know it's not in your neigborhood but they have a car service right there. I'm lucky that a have good storage space so I can buy in bulk but I realise not everyone in NYC can. I heard thew Fairways on 125th is pretty good. I hate the one on the Upper West Side!

I feel sorry for young people trying to get a start in NYC nowadays. It can be done but it's not as easy as it used to be.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brat1
I'm with you Jerseygirl, I don't get the coupon thing here either and have so many of these store card things in my purse that it's a pain in the you know what. I love a bargain too but can't be bothered spending my time looking for coupons, must be a Brit thing
A concept that went out with the ark.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A concept that went out with the ark.
I think you just can't be bothered to save money or just do not need to. It's a foreign concept to you. I make a good living but I am always happy to save extra. If it went out then why is one of the biggest shows on TV "Extreme Couponing"? There are loads of coupon sights online. I spend about 10 minutes a week cutting coupons. If you want to pay full price go right ahead. I like saving money.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I think you just can't be bothered to save money or just do not need to. It's a foreign concept to you. I make a good living but I am always happy to save extra. If it went out then why is one of the biggest shows on TV "Extreme Couponing"? There are loads of coupon sights online. I spend about 10 minutes a week cutting coupons. If you want to pay full price go right ahead. I like saving money.
I think you are misunderstanding us...it's nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not. In the UK you get the money off goods without having to produce a coupon...therefore everyone can obtain the discount. Here you have to clip the coupon, carry it with you and remember to hand it to the cashier...no coupon...tough luck.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 27th 2011 at 7:55 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:55 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are misunderstanding us...it's nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not. In the UK you get the money off goods without having to have a coupon...therefore everyone can obtain the discount. Here you have to clip the coupon, carry it with you and remember to hand it to the cashier...no coupon...tough luck.
But is this a store discount or a manufacturer's discount? I get the store specials without having to clip a coupon, but I do have to use the coupon if I want a manufacturer's special. And as every little helps these days, I clip anything that I use!
Old Jun 27th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are misunderstanding us...it's nothing to do with whether you can afford it or not. In the UK you get the money off goods without having to have a coupon...therefore everyone can obtain the discount. Here you have to clip the coupon, carry it with you and remember to hand it to the cashier...no coupon...tough luck.
I'd rather they reduced the price of the product than a stupid system of cutting coupons to make people think they are saving money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.