Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC affordable on this transfer?

NYC affordable on this transfer?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by Brat1
Sorry, I didn't think I was being negative and apologise if it came across that way, I was only trying to give the OP other options which would maybe make it easier and be more economical. I thought this forum was for support, advice and information, which is what I thought I was giving. I'm quite sure you can live in NYC for $45,000 a year, but was merely trying to say that with the commute back and forth it could work out to be really tiring, my OH does it the other way and I know he's struggled this past winter. And if the landlord is anything like ours, we're tied in to a yearly contract, don't know how much it would cost us if we tried to forfeit that part way through.

I wish the OP all the best in the adventure, and hope that they have found this forum helpful.
I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you for your comments, of course they have helped me to shape my decision
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reena81
I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you for your comments, of course they have helped me to shape my decision
Glad we all can help. In a way, I envy you, I would love to live in the city, I absolutely adore NYC and if I was in your position, would probably jump at the chance. Hope we've laid out some alternatives, just in case, and that you enjoy every minute of the opportunity. Might bump in to you on the train at South Norwalk sometime Good luck
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digbydog
I can only speak for myself but if I was single and and had no real ties in the UK I would jump at the chance.

People should try to see the positives rather than saying "its going to be cold walking in the street" or "you will spend too much time on a train".

We don't know the whole story but if the OP is living paycheck to paycheck in the UK going nowhere then why not try the USA.

The company will know the OP is making a big move for not too much reward. If the OP works hard the company will notice and good things can happen.

Glass half full or glass half empty.... I know which is my glass as I go through life
I agree 100% if you are single and no ties give it a go rather than wonder "what if". It reminds me of when we lived in London there were lots of Aussies and Kiwis who would come over for a year, they lived like sardines in shared accomodation and I am guessing they did not earn much but they still seemed to have a good time for the most part.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, whatever. Never mind.

Not much point to this thread then if you have your mind set and aren't going to listen.

It's not like any one here has any vested interest either way, nor care I guess what you want to do. Especially if the reality check isn't taken on board.

Oh, and a commute in London is a piece of cake. Might want to listen to people on the commute, the weather is nothing like London and that kind of cold really does have an effect.

Anyway, long as you've got a good 6 months of cash in reserves, good luck to you.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

I am a single guy, earning wages of around what you describe and get by OK, as millions of other New Yorkers do.

I live in a nice apartment in the UES. I don't have a car. I don't have health insurance. I don't have an expensive gym membership, and don't go to smart restaurants. I get around by bike and public transport. I shop at the supermarket and cook my own food. I can afford a decent life, I go out for drinks, gigs, or movies a couple of times a week. I have a good social life and don't feel poor or deprived. It's fantastic just to be living here.

If you have a family 45k is not so good. But for a single guy with a fairly cheap rent, it's very realistic to live on such a salary.

And cheap rents do exist. Even in Manhattan. You could get a decent apartment share for 800 bucks.

If you wanted to live south of 125th (say, around 103rd), just on the border with the UES, you could jump on the 6 train to the Metro North, which would only take an extra ten minutes.

Send me a PM if you want any more advice.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reena81
I'm side stepping career wise, but will be picking up new skills which will be beneficial going forward.
At the very least and if you end up taking a flight from JFK back to LHR then the you'll still have something interesting on your CV which might set you apart from all those who've moved from job to job and lived in only one city.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
I am a single guy, earning wages of around what you describe and get by OK, as millions of other New Yorkers do.

I live in a nice apartment in the UES. I don't have a car. I don't have health insurance. I don't have an expensive gym membership, and don't go to smart restaurants. I get around by bike and public transport. I shop at the supermarket and cook my own food. I can afford a decent life, I go out for drinks, gigs, or movies a couple of times a week. I have a good social life and don't feel poor or deprived. It's fantastic just to be living here.

If you have a family 45k is not so good. But for a single guy with a fairly cheap rent, it's very realistic to live on such a salary.

And cheap rents do exist. Even in Manhattan. You could get a decent apartment share for 800 bucks.

If you wanted to live south of 125th (say, around 103rd), just on the border with the UES, you could jump on the 6 train to the Metro North, which would only take an extra ten minutes.

just about to DM you!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave2702
At the very least and if you end up taking a flight from JFK back to LHR then the you'll still have something interesting on your CV which might set you apart from all those who've moved from job to job and lived in only one city.
That is true too
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

d
Old Jun 25th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

srefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of lightsrefre is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave2702
To me that not necessarily a given.

If you stay there a year or so and decide it's not for you, I agree, it will be a good new experience and will make you stand out from others.

If you stay a month, and then give it up, if I was interviewing you, I would be wondering what happened, and possibly see it as a negative, that you are someone who just does things on a whim without properly planning or following through with the idea.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:28 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bladerunner

There are alot of housing projects in the low 100's on the East Side. I live on the Upper East side and I'm from NYC as well and past 95thstreet it really changes depending on the avenue. Not having health insurance is very risky. Also commuting on Metro North to South Norwalk would cost Reena almost $300 a month. That's not including the subway.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:33 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

You also need to be careful with roomate agencys or adds on craigslist for shares. I have known severa lIrish girls that I worked with in the restaurant business who would cram 10 plus of them into two bedroom apartments. They all got thrown out because of lease and occupancy violations. I often go alone to Costco which is in Spanish Harlem but I wouldn't want to live there. The area has gotten better but it still has a ways to go.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srefre
To me that not necessarily a given.

If you stay there a year or so and decide it's not for you, I agree, it will be a good new experience and will make you stand out from others.

If you stay a month, and then give it up, if I was interviewing you, I would be wondering what happened, and possibly see it as a negative, that you are someone who just does things on a whim without properly planning or following through with the idea.
I agree especially if you are with a large outfit like Virgin. You would need at least a year in my opinion which given the amount of info given on this thread alone if you make the move there should be few "surprises" upon your arrival
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by penguinbar
There are alot of housing projects in the low 100's on the East Side. I live on the Upper East side and I'm from NYC as well and past 95thstreet it really changes depending on the avenue. Not having health insurance is very risky. Also commuting on Metro North to South Norwalk would cost Reena almost $300 a month. That's not including the subway.
I agree. Reena, you've already made the decision to come and good luck to you. Just watch out with housing in NYC, and definitely don't take Bladerunner's advice about looking in East Harlem. Just to put it into perspective- I once looked at renting a room in a place in East Harle
. The apartment looked nice in the pictures but when I got there the area was very rough and scary, the landlord admitted a homeless guy was murdered on the door step a few months back And even then they were asking $900 for the room! Try looking outside Manhattan. It might be nice to be able to get off the subway at 2am after some partying and be home, but it's also important to come home every night to somewhere comfortable and safe.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Harlem - here are some before and after pics of the area from the 1980s to 2007 (sorry, it's an old thread so some of the pics have disappeared). The eighties really were a nadir for a lot of American cities and it's amazing how bad things got.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149448

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.