Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NYC affordable on this transfer?

NYC affordable on this transfer?

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NYC affordable on this transfer?

Originally Posted by digbydog
What's with all the negativity here.
Tell you what -it's a good thing this forum wasn't around during the first three centuries of American history. The place would still be a howling wilderness. 'Don't go - you will be flayed alive by savages', 'the Puritans will hang you for being a witch, a Quaker or on suspicion of fornicating with farm animals', 'ye will never survive in Boston on a mere 5 groats - on that ye will only be able to afford to share a dirty sty with a couple of hogs; and even then ye will have to sell your body to seamen' etc etc...
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Tell you what -it's a good thing this forum wasn't around during the first three centuries of American history. The place would still be a howling wilderness. 'Don't go - you will be flayed alive by savages', 'the Puritans will hang you for being a witch, a Quaker or on suspicion of fornicating with farm animals', 'ye will never survive in Boston on a mere 5 groats - on that ye will only be able to afford to share a dirty sty with a couple of hogs; and even then ye will have to sell your body to seamen' etc etc...
Some of the earlier settlers did have a really rough time though.

The important point is whether this is a good, worthwhile career move, which of course is hard for us to say, but she needs to weigh up all the facts. Anyone can say, "Yay, go for it."
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yeah, like this poor bastard...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Granger

Those charges sound a wee bit implausible to me.

EDIT - does anyone know what the hell a 'divers sheepe' is?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing ventured, sure, but knowingly setting yourself up to be so skint?

When not even working in NYC?

A lot of folks are just saying, live near work, venture into NYC on the weekend and save a lot of money on the commute...it's not like there'll be any money spare to enjoy things other wise and with that kind of commute, how much time will you have to enjoy things during the week anyway?

What's with all the negativity here. Do you think everybody in NYC is on a massive wage. Granted on this wage the OP will not be having breakfast at the Four Seasons anytime soon.

The OP has a chance of a move to NYC with a half decent company who must think the OP has potential or why would they offer the position.

So what if it doesn't work out... at least you can say to yourself you tried. Worst case is you get to spend some time in NYC.

Last time I looked there were planes back to London everyday of the week if it all goes pear shaped.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

I can only speak for myself but if I was single and and had no real ties in the UK I would jump at the chance.

People should try to see the positives rather than saying "its going to be cold walking in the street" or "you will spend too much time on a train".

We don't know the whole story but if the OP is living paycheck to paycheck in the UK going nowhere then why not try the USA.

The company will know the OP is making a big move for not too much reward. If the OP works hard the company will notice and good things can happen.

Glass half full or glass half empty.... I know which is my glass as I go through life
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
does anyone know what the hell a 'divers sheepe' is?
"Divers" is an old spelling of "diverse" but had a meaning more akin to "several" or "various".
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

What's with all the negativity here. Do you think everybody in NYC is on a massive wage. Granted on this wage the OP will not be having breakfast at the Four Seasons anytime soon.

The OP has a chance of a move to NYC with a half decent company who must think the OP has potential or why would they offer the position.

So what if it doesn't work out... at least you can say to yourself you tried. Worst case is you get to spend some time in NYC.

Last time I looked there were planes back to London everyday of the week if it all goes pear shaped.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Sorry, I didn't think I was being negative and apologise if it came across that way, I was only trying to give the OP other options which would maybe make it easier and be more economical. I thought this forum was for support, advice and information, which is what I thought I was giving. I'm quite sure you can live in NYC for $45,000 a year, but was merely trying to say that with the commute back and forth it could work out to be really tiring, my OH does it the other way and I know he's struggled this past winter. And if the landlord is anything like ours, we're tied in to a yearly contract, don't know how much it would cost us if we tried to forfeit that part way through.

I wish the OP all the best in the adventure, and hope that they have found this forum helpful.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

A lot of folks are just saying, live near work, venture into NYC on the weekend and save a lot of money on the commute...it's not like there'll be any money spare to enjoy things other wise and with that kind of commute, how much time will you have to enjoy things during the week anyway?
Yes, back in #7 I pointed out that living in NYC would entail a more expensive apartment, NYC and NYS taxes instead of just CT taxes, the commuter train costs, etc. -- and probably not much chance to do anything except look out of the window and say "Wow, I'm in Manhattan" during the week. Living in CT and getting to spend the weekends in NYC makes much better financial sense. If suggesting a sensible way to swing things and be able to live comfortably on a lower rung salary is considered negative, then so be it . . .
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The company will know the OP is making a big move for not too much reward. If the OP works hard the company will notice and good things can happen.
Possibly, but sometimes they see workers as drones with no other life and expect them to work at the same level forever, especially immigrants. Where my husband worked when he first came over, he had postdocs who had worked on farms in the Chinese cultural revolution, so it wasn't exactly a fast track to riches.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly, but sometimes they see workers as drones with no other life and expect them to work at the same level forever, especially immigrants. Where my husband worked when he first came over, he had postdocs who had worked on farms in the Chinese cultural revolution, so it wasn't exactly a fast track to riches.
aye, good things can happen, but they usually don't, there's no employer loyalty to employees, it's just bums on seats and you're a disposable asset. Sure that's not the case every where, but that's the corporate exception to the rules
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, if they know she's good enough for a visa, then they're playing her for a fool and desperation because it's a bit of a joke.

To the OP....how do you plan to relocate if things don't work out? Others have said you'd be broke, so how are you going to afford to fill out a crummy apartment, even getting stuff off craigslist? And then move if it doesn't work out?

If you really want to take this opportunity, take the advice of living closer to the job, in CT and just taking the train into NYC when you fancy, because you won't have time nor money to go out and enjoy it after commuting all hours to and from work.
Hello. I'm not planning to live a lavish lifestyle at all. I actually intend to house/flatshare, probably in West Harlem, which will obviously be much cheaper than renting a whole flat on my own.

Also, don't intend to party much during the weeks. Maybe the odd diner, movie, bar, museum, etc. But as someone already posted on the forum, I'm not intending to dine at the Ritz! If worst comes to worst and I have to go back to London, I'll just crash at my parent's until I get a new job again. Working for an airline, I could get back from less than $150 dollars, (perks!) and I have money saved for for a deposit anyway.

I really don't want to live in CT, as I want to experience NY living, (by this I don't mean the crazy, blow your money everynight lifestyle). Just going for the chilled out, hazy flow of NY. Nothing else. I'm a good budgeter and there are plenty of people who get by in NY on less salaries. It can be done!

I've lived in London on less and it's an expensive. I got by.

Last edited by Reena81; Jun 23rd 2011 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

The important point is whether this is a good, worthwhile career move, which of course is hard for us to say, but she needs to weigh up all the facts. Anyone can say, "Yay, go for it."
I'm side stepping career wise, but will be picking up new skills which will be beneficial going forward.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob

The commute is not bad at all. 45 minutes on the train?? I'm from Uxbridge, West London and to commute on the central line tube to tottenham court road, takes 40 minutes! On the picadilly line to get to leceister square, roughly 50 mins at least!

To me, as a Londoner, the 45 min commute does not seem unreasonable. A 5 min walk after and I'm at the office.... It's very do-able...

Living in CT during the weeks is not the same. I have family in NY and a couple of friends. At the moment, I live in Gatwick out of London and trust me, being away from family and friends during the weeks is hard. It's easier to be there, than in CT. And total 1 hour journey in the morning and on the way back is not hard work at all.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree you should go for it and see how things turn out.

I spend a lot of time in people's houses in NYC and at the lower end, they can be quite an eye opener for the money you pay. NY is neither cheap, nor laid back, but after 10 years of living here I can still see the attraction of the place.

Good luck. Bring money. Don't fall ill.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

I can only speak for myself but if I was single and and had no real ties in the UK I would jump at the chance.

People should try to see the positives rather than saying "its going to be cold walking in the street" or "you will spend too much time on a train".

We don't know the whole story but if the OP is living paycheck to paycheck in the UK going nowhere then why not try the USA.

Glass half full or glass half empty.... I know which is my glass as I go through life
Thank you!!! That's exactly how I see it! I just want a fresh start and get a great opportunity. Sure the job is not in NY, but every sucker in the world wants to move there. I don't intend to club everynight. Honestly, a nice cafe or free museum. A jazz club on the weekend, lying in central park and staring at the sky scrappers. Making new friends and a new life. That's all I want. I got some cash saved up already. Just wanna live life!x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.