Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NY or back to blighty?

NY or back to blighty?

Old Jun 4th 2010, 5:43 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of
Default NY or back to blighty?

Hiya!

Currently, we have 2 options.. relocate with company to work in Manhattan, or go back to UK and stay with family and be jobless.

So we are exploring Manhattan, but know we are not City people. So the "burbs it is. Can anyone recommend nice areas to live in (3+ bedroom house witth yard etc) which has train transport links into Grand Central Station/ Penn Station with as few changes as possible in less than 90 minutes.

I am happy to do my own research etc.. city-data is great, but a couple of town names would be a helpful starting point.

Off to NY for 3 days in a couple of weeks for a rekkie, so that'll help.

Would be great if anyone had any personal recommendations, or even if you think we would be better of start over back in blighty?

We are so nervous about this. We love the Bay Area, and would rather not have to leave, but need to go where the work is!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY or back to blighty?

Connecticut is nice (worked there for several months near Danbury - though that's a bit too far for you). But it can be expensive - what's your budget? Here's the Metro North rail map: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm Browse around that site and you'll find schedules for Long Island Railroad as well. Might want to look at New Jersey Transit as well.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I live a 60 min train ride from Manhattan. Despite what many think Northern New Jersey is lovely. In the area I live the countryside is very much like the English countryside. The closer you get to NYC the more urban it becomes. Most areas in the NY Met area (NY/Con/NJ) is going to be pricey...property/property taxes.

Search Englishmun's posts...she's posted loads of useful information for people wanting to live in NJ and work in NYC.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Whats your budget and will schools come into play
Old Jun 4th 2010, 10:40 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Hiya!

Currently, we have 2 options.. relocate with company to work in Manhattan, or go back to UK and stay with family and be jobless.

So we are exploring Manhattan, but know we are not City people. So the "burbs it is. Can anyone recommend nice areas to live in (3+ bedroom house witth yard etc) which has train transport links into Grand Central Station/ Penn Station with as few changes as possible in less than 90 minutes.

I am happy to do my own research etc.. city-data is great, but a couple of town names would be a helpful starting point.

Off to NY for 3 days in a couple of weeks for a rekkie, so that'll help.

Would be great if anyone had any personal recommendations, or even if you think we would be better of start over back in blighty?

We are so nervous about this. We love the Bay Area, and would rather not have to leave, but need to go where the work is!
My town is popular with Brits - probably because you can walk to shops for all your everyday needs, and plenty of restaurants (may also have something to do with Rutgers, although I've only met one Brit who works there). It's also a short walk to NJ Transit NorthEast Corridor (New Brunswick, or a short drive to Edison) which takes about 50 minutes to Penn.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:14 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your advice everyone. I'll certainly take a look at Englishmum's posts.

Its so hard to look at a map of the transit/ trainlines and try to correlate it with affordable nice areas, when there are so many to look up! Town names are very helpful, so keep them coming!

We dont have kids to conisder just yet, and could possibly pay rent to $3000 pm, but would prefer $2500.

Its a little tricker, this potential move.. I feel like I'm doing all the same relocation reasearch in 4 weeks as opposed to 4 months like last time!

Really apprecaite all your assistance and advice! Thank you!
Old Jun 4th 2010, 11:32 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100

We dont have kids to conisder just yet, and could possibly pay rent to $3000 pm, but would prefer $2500.
I'm pretty sure our friends were renting a 3BR house in town for less than $2500 before they bought the house next door. Just looked up on here and the price range seems reasonable, this isn't the best location and the price probably reflects that: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...904_1119303888
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is, any town with a good commute to NYC is going to be pricey for that reason. Regarding the transit maps, also check the schedules - the frequency of service may not be great!

$2500 is do-able within your other parameters - here's an example in New Canaan, CT (I don't know what this town is like, but 1-2 trains per hour to Grand Central, just over an hour commute):
http://www.coldwellbankermoves.com/P...ertyID=1938300

Can the employer help with suggestions?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely recommend checking out Westchester County although I'm not sure how much you can get at $2,500 per month (I don't rent so I genuinely have no idea). It's not any more expensive than Fairfield County in Connecticut though and it's closer to the city.

I live here and it's lovely. Lots of small towns, all with their own little center, and many of them on the direct train line to New York. From my house, we can walk to the train station in 3 minutes and then the train takes 25 minutes to Grand Central. All the towns have good schools and a nice, quiet feel. It's hard to believe you're so close to New York City when you live out here. Of course, the further out you get, the better the prices get.

Here's a link to one site http://www.rentals.com/New-York/West...e-1z141y0+4jr/

the only thing to remember about this area when budgeting is that everything is more expensive here than in other parts of the country. Car insurance, groceries, utilities etc. It's just the price you pay for being at the center of the universe ;-)
Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM;8614613
$2500 is do-able within your other parameters - here's an example in New Canaan, CT (I don't know what this town is like, but 1-2 trains per hour to Grand Central, just over an hour commute):
[url
http://www.coldwellbankermoves.com/Property/PropertyDetails.aspx?SearchID=17262987&PropertyID= 1938300[/url]
New Canaan is a lovely town, and within commuting distance, but it is very pricey. A townhouse, like the one in the link, would probably be the best you could do in NC for $2,500 -- however, as you mention that you don't have children, perhaps a townhouse would work for you.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This is a nice little residence to consider...very handy for NYC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...goes-sale.html
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I just had another idea for you if you like the Bay Area. Milford, CT is a lovely little town. It's right at your outer limits for traveling though - by train and by car it takes about 90 minutes (it's a direct train though). But it's right on the water and has a lovely relaxed 'seaside' feel. It has lots of quaint old New England architecture and it's also not as pricey as the CT towns closer to the city. I fell in love with it when I went there.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:07 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
This is a nice little residence to consider...very handy for NYC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...goes-sale.html

I was hoping for something a little grander than that.. but thanks for the suggestion!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:48 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

White Plains in Westchester County, New York State, is a pretty upscale place to live, and is about 30 minutes to one hour drive north of Manhattan. Two MetroNorth Railroad Stations serve the area with service to Grand Central Station in Manhattan. White Plains also has its own airport (Code HPN), which is a small airport, but is served by Delta, United, US Airways, and Jet Blue. The city is also an alternative place to NYC for company regional/world headquarters

Last edited by lifehouse51; Jun 7th 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

flnycus is an unknown quantity at this point

Live and work in central Nj, just like the Burbs. Have a look at Westfield, Nj, South plainfield NJ, Mendham NJ, all nice areas. Edison has a straight train into NY Penn, westfield is relatively quick, with a quick change at newark penn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.