British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   NVQ in America ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nvq-america-843774/)

joejeffs Sep 24th 2014 8:08 am

NVQ in America ??

Just got my green card now looking for work I have an Nvq level 3 in personal training will that be reconised over here in Oregon ? Thanks

Silverdragon102 Sep 24th 2014 12:21 pm

Re: NVQ in America ??

do a search as I am sure this has been asked before and I think the answer was no

jtb87 Sep 24th 2014 4:19 pm

I have been trying to find out about NVQ's as well. From what I have found so far, NVQ's aren't really worth anything. On my resume I just list them as certifications due to people here having no clue what an NVQ even is. As far as I can tell, Level 3 NVQ is really just the equivalent of 2 A levels at school.

joejeffs Sep 24th 2014 5:01 pm

Ok thanks

jtb87 Sep 24th 2014 5:39 pm

By the way, I didn't mean for that to possibly sound discouraging in any way. It is something I have been struggling with too. I have just been explaining it as a certification, not a degree, and employers have generally been ok with it so far.

Bob Sep 24th 2014 6:29 pm

:lol:

No. No one will have a clue what it means.

If you are using it to go study, you can get it evaluated, but for anything else, it'll be pretty meaningless, unfortunately.

For resume stuff, could just say equivalent to GED I'd guess.

Bagger Sep 24th 2014 9:34 pm

To your question directly - no it is not recognized because it is a qualification unique to the UK.

However, while not wanting to get your hopes up, I don't think it's unreasonable to state that NVQ Level 3 is somewhere between GED and an Associates degree.

If A-Levels are worth some college credit in the US (which people have reported on this forum), and NVQ level 3 is considered equivalent to two or more A-Levels (which is the case per research by the LSE - see the Wikipedia article), then it would be an outright stretch to claim an Associates degree, but not if you claim you have some limited US college level education. Perhaps in your situation I'd say something like, "it's equivalent to completing some community college classes".

Of course, you could remove all the ambiguity to US employers, and see if you can have your NVQ translated to college credit anywhere, and subsequently top up to earn your Associates degree.

joejeffs Sep 24th 2014 10:26 pm

Ok thanks for all the help, guess I'll just try and do a college course. Is anyone in the health and fitness industry ?

RICH Sep 24th 2014 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by joejeffs (Post 11416446)
Just got my green card now looking for work I have an Nvq level 3 in personal training will that be reconised over here in Oregon ? Thanks

I have no idea, but I imagine, to be a Personal Trainer you might need a licence So try looking up the Licence requirements, and see if your NVQ syllubus covered them?