Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nutjob Huckabee

Nutjob Huckabee

Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nutjob Huckabee

Originally Posted by Elvira
The majority of Brits do not even need to fill in a tax return, ever (imagine that!). Even if you do have to file, it's so bloody easy. Even though I was self-employed, it would take me less than half an hour to fill it in.
But doesn't this mean lots of people don't pay tax when they should be because they aren't filling in tax forms.

Also not sure in what way they are simpler, the first one I got asked to do, the first I knew of it was saying I had a fine for filing late. I got that waived, but had to do it by hand. The calculations booklet seemed to go on forever, it took absolutely ages and my situation was very basic.

Filing online is certainly no simpler then the US either. In fact I paid $40 for a package which was meant to be better then the one they provided on the IR website, but it was still really confusing as help nearly always requires calling them up - not great when you not in the UK.

My favourite part of it though was on trying to submit at the end, because I was not resident for the 2006-2007 tax year, but was a part of 2005-2006 I couldn't file online and had to send it in. Apparantly a bug in the IR system.

Unless you know all the rules both are very confusing and need a lot of reading to understand.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I like the British tax system. Everyone gets a personal allowance, and the tax bands are progressive and easy to understand. Because there are very few deductions, there is very little room for error or forgetting to claim for something.

The majority of Brits do not even need to fill in a tax return, ever (imagine that!). Even if you do have to file, it's so bloody easy. Even though I was self-employed, it would take me less than half an hour to fill it in.
Everyone gets a personal allowance here too unless you choose to file jointly with one's spouse. The tax bands are progressive here in the same manner as the UK as well. I do agree that the US tax code is more complicated for the "average" person (more self-defeating deductions like mortgage interest, the lack of a capital gains allowance) and additionally is littered with exceptions and special cases that politicians have enacted because of the power of lobbyists. There is no reason why an income tax can't be straightforward:- it is US politicians that have made the US tax code the mess it is.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
But doesn't this mean lots of people don't pay tax when they should be because they aren't filling in tax forms.

Also not sure in what way they are simpler, the first one I got asked to do, the first I knew of it was saying I had a fine for filing late. I got that waived, but had to do it by hand. The calculations booklet seemed to go on forever, it took absolutely ages and my situation was very basic.

Filing online is certainly no simpler then the US either. In fact I paid $40 for a package which was meant to be better then the one they provided on the IR website, but it was still really confusing as help nearly always requires calling them up - not great when you not in the UK.

My favourite part of it though was on trying to submit at the end, because I was not resident for the 2006-2007 tax year, but was a part of 2005-2006 I couldn't file online and had to send it in. Apparantly a bug in the IR system.

Unless you know all the rules both are very confusing and need a lot of reading to understand.
Basic tax gets deducted at base, so unless you're a higher tax payer, you do not have to fill in a tax return in the UK.

No need to keep track of hundreds of bits of paper to claim dozenz os deductions.

The online filing is extremely simple, and it's free.

Special cases will always find it more difficult - the system is geared towards dealing with straightforward cases rather than exceptions.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Special cases will always find it more difficult - the system is geared towards dealing with straightforward cases rather than exceptions.
This is an important point. I am always stunned at how people here who ought to have relatively forward tax filings end up shelling out $$ to accountants to deal with the stuff. The relative size of the tax preparation 'industry' in the UK and US is a big clue as to the relative complexity of the two tax systems.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

DavidM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
cool.
do you also agree with Huckerbee's statements about putting Aids patients into quarantine then also?
Yes if they're out in the jungle doing who-knows-what with the chimps that's their lookout. The born-again ideology is disturbing but the courts routinely rule against local authorities trying to implement it. I think Juan McAmnesty will pick the Huckster for VP. I like the fair tax because I am fairly wealthy and want to become extremely wealthy. If you're not wealthy then it doesn't really matter does it? What's one less hit on the crack-pipe?

BTW - Tony Blair and George Bush are both born-again - they have a special unit in Iraq grinding up the dinosaur bones.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:45 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea whether you're being idiotic, ironic or are just a textbot that spouts computer-generated phrases that sound a bit like English.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:23 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DavidM
Yes if they're out in the jungle doing who-knows-what with the chimps that's their lookout. The born-again ideology is disturbing but the courts routinely rule against local authorities trying to implement it. I think Juan McAmnesty will pick the Huckster for VP. I like the fair tax because I am fairly wealthy and want to become extremely wealthy. If you're not wealthy then it doesn't really matter does it? What's one less hit on the crack-pipe?

BTW - Tony Blair and George Bush are both born-again - they have a special unit in Iraq grinding up the dinosaur bones.
"Fair Tax" is a bumper sticker slogan. On it's face it is regressive, but I'll wait for the details, they are where God or the Devil lives.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Brav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to allBrav is a name known to all

Could always just claim exempt on taxes and never file a return. I've known people who have never filed in their life and the IRS hasn't attempted to come after them.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:43 pm
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Brav
Could always just claim exempt on taxes and never file a return. I've known people who have never filed in their life and the IRS hasn't attempted to come after them.
Wesley Snipes was one of them wasn't he? <lol>

Went to file last night with Jackson Hewitt. I was taking the easy route of having someone else do it. My wife and I with just 2 W2's and no deductions. After a rather uneducated person input our details in under 4 minutes she asked for $178 for tax preperation. She was quite shocked when we picked up our forms and walked out refusing to pay.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cpltony
Wesley Snipes was one of them wasn't he? <lol>

Went to file last night with Jackson Hewitt. I was taking the easy route of having someone else do it. My wife and I with just 2 W2's and no deductions. After a rather uneducated person input our details in under 4 minutes she asked for $178 for tax preperation. She was quite shocked when we picked up our forms and walked out refusing to pay.
I've used TurboTax for years - and have had some fairly complicated stuff some years.

It walks you through with a pretty simple question and answer format, and looks for deductions you might not have thought of.

I highly recommend it.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:32 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going back to a "tax shop" with tax preparers (i.e. not accountants) - I'd rather do it myself with TurboTax and know what was going on.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:32 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Is messing up the republican nomination by picking up the massive christian vote in rural areas in the south/midwest

now we are going to end up with John 'what economic policy? I lead the largest squadron in the US Navy' McStain with Mike 'lets change the constitution to reflect gods words' Huckabee as the VP

from a personal perspective I would be better off with him than Hilary, but I think I would have to support her in the event they both get the nomination
There all ****** loonies
Old Feb 8th 2008, 3:34 am
Pompey Boy

gazzpfc will become famous soon enough

Basic tax gets deducted at base, so unless you're a higher tax payer, you do not have to fill in a tax return in the UK.

No need to keep track of hundreds of bits of paper to claim dozenz os deductions.

The online filing is extremely simple, and it's free.

Its the same everywhere they just squeezing for a bit extra they always found the odd 100 quid here or there in UK to hit me for.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:09 am
Cpl Tony

cpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to allcpltony is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gazzpfc
Its the same everywhere they just squeezing for a bit extra they always found the odd 100 quid here or there in UK to hit me for.
I just ran Turbo Tax for my return and it was all free (no deductions for me though)
I'll have a stab at doing state myself and save $25 as I know I owe.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:20 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan B
Blame Stephen Colbert.

I hope Hillary really doesn't get in. The Republicans don't think they can beat Obama heads up.
So you believe the Repugs? Have you ever thought why they keep saying that they would rather face Hillary, its a snow job.

Also Obamas' " I was against the war so pick me" is balls, all Dems are now against the war so it dont mean dick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.