Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nursing when I'm not an RN?

Nursing when I'm not an RN?

Old Dec 14th 2003, 10:06 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Nursing when I'm not an RN?

Hiya was wondering if antone could help me? I am a Paediatric Nurse here in the UK, and my husband has just been offered a job in Los Angeles. From what I can gather I cannot nurse in the USA because I am not general trained, have any none general nurses tried? Also I have heard that some hospitals might sponser you to retrain or even offer you work? Has anyone heard of this happening. If not, I will have to stick with my H4 visa and not sure what this lets me do!!
Old Dec 14th 2003, 11:50 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of the women that did the US NCLEX exam with me were midwives, and they managed to pass the general exam and are now working in the US. You can be sponsored by a hospital, but it's a long process and you would have to do the visa on your own, which is a long and tedious process lines with pitfalls. I went through an agency that paid for everything, provided study materials and courses, but it still took more than 2 years. If I were you I would take the chance of going over on the H4 and studying to take your NCLEX over there. I'm not sure if you would be able to adjust status afterwards, but maybe one of our more knowledgeable members could tell you that.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 9:14 am
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya, thanks for your help. I contacted some agencies in the UK they all said they couldn't help me as I am Paeds trained, and that I would also be unable to sit the NCLEX because of this. THe midwives you saw, do you know if they were general trained first or direct entry midwives?

Cheers!
Old Dec 15th 2003, 12:52 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I couldn't say for sure, but most likely. There is a US qualification for Paeds nurses...called a PN instead of an RN...you should investigate that.
Old Dec 15th 2003, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought of contacting California Board of Nursing? They may be able to advise you...

dont know if this site might help you either??
http://www.nurses-international.com/...tion-forms.htm

As Rockgurl has already said it is a long long road to travel, go on the H4 and start getting your NCLEX under your belt then. Not sure if California require the CGFNS either - but the BON will be able to advise you of that too. Let us know how you get on..

(Btw I am 15 months down my long road and waiting to re-sit my NCLEX!!!)