Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nursing in USA! Really that much of a long shot?

Nursing in USA! Really that much of a long shot?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

rubytue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in USA! Really that much of a long shot?

Evening all

I am currently an A and E Sister and have previously worked in ICU! I have been qualified for 10 years, my training consisted of the old style school where we did paeds, mental health and midwifery (albeit only for brief periods). I am interested in moving over to Kansas City, MO. We have some friends who run their own company over there (us citizens) and me and my husband are interested in taking a year or so out of the uk (with a view to perhaps move for good, depending on how things go). My husband is currently a paramedic but has a Degree in Law and 10 years experience in corporate finance, before jacking it all in to live the easy life of a paramedic.

We have two boys aged 4 and 2 and own a house without any mortgage worth around £225,000, and no other debt at all. We don't have any criminal convictions or health issues

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not we are on to a no starter. My husband is planning to so his nurse training next September so it would be at least 4 years before we even look at moving,by that time we hope to have a fair bit in savings as well. I understand there is a lot of issues round the whole nursing retrogression at the moment

Oz just doesn't appeal to me for many reasons mainly distance and cost of living, although it does seem a lot easier to get in to. I just dont want to go somewhere for the sake of leaving the uk, because that is not the reason for us wanting to move, just more us wanting to try something different

Thanks in advance for any replies

xx
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in USA! Really that much of a long shot?

Originally Posted by rubytue
What I'm trying to find out is whether or not we are on to a no starter.
There are no visas available for nurses... none at all, and it'll stay that way for at least the next 5 years if not permanently. Since you're already aware of nurse retrogression, there's not much more to add.

Your husband might have a chance with his law degree, although he'll likely need to retrain in the US.

If you're looking for something different, Canada might be an easier choice... and close enough to the US (well, depending on where you are) to make no difference.

Ian
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RubyT,
We're from your neck of the woods, S/Mcr and were probably one of the last to get our visas/GC's through a nursing agency (OGP) some 3 1/2 yrs ago.
I cant add anything to what Iam-M has said and his comments about the nursing/paramedic side and its just a non starter, sorry.
As he says, Canada is probably available but its different to the US (colder for a start ! )
The economy and healthcare are at odds with society and wont get any better in the forseeable future. I have to say that somethings are good over here its certainly not a bed of roses compared to home though.Whatever the problems are, with the NHS, they are still is better by far (in many ways)compared to here.
If you want to know more etc, PM me.
Cheers for now. DB.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I will add is that from what I hear from nurses who have worked in the US and the UK (NHS or private) the majority far prefer the working environment and culture of the UK. Most had very negative things to say about the way things are run, the politics, the bitchiness and general overwork for low wages in the US. I don't know a whole lot of people in that situation but it has also been posted here from time to time. Thinking outside the visa issues, you really should look into what your working life would realistically be like if you were working here.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help but think of an old member who came to the US because his wife was a nurse. Unfortunately she became ill...so the hospital sacked her (nice )...which meant the family had no healthcare insurance. They became heavily in debt and had to return to the UK for healthcare.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also add that from previous posts, nursing in the US has a much lower level of autonomy than in the UK, so job satisfaction may be a lot lower. I think it was Rockgurl who posted comments like this, so you might search for her previous posts.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus if your husband is only just going to start his training then he may find he will not meet requirements unless he ensures his training has Paeds, etc in the syllabus.

I was caught up in retrogression back in 2006 (still waiting for a visa by the US visa bulletin) and now working in Canada, pay is better than the UK and loving it. Cancelled the US and just visit
Old Sep 26th 2011, 10:39 am
Just Joined

rubytue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for your replies, I had thought that may be the case hey ho

Silverdragon, Canada would be an option, like I said we are not running away from the uk, but given that we have paid our mortgage off we are thinking about using that freedom to do something different and experience another lifestlyle.

How long have you been over there? My dh actually fancies Canada more than the US so he would be fine. Is the weather as cold and bad as I imagine? lol.Nova Scotia does appeal to me Do you work in an Acute area of Nursing? Is the cost of living around the same as the uk? Sorry for all the questions, like I said we wouldn't be thinking about going until my husband has done his training and done a years experience first so a lot can change in 5 years I suppose.

Thanks again everyone

xx
Old Sep 26th 2011, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Is the weather as cold and bad as I imagine?
Some parts of Canada are quite mild - including Vancover, Windsor, and Halifax. I've visited Vancouver, but I lived in Windsor for 10 years and Halifax for 2 - and winters are quite mild compared to larger cities such as Toronto and Montreal.

Nova Scotia does appeal to me
It's lovely!

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2011, 2:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't help but think of an old member who came to the US because his wife was a nurse. Unfortunately she became ill...so the hospital sacked her (nice )...which meant the family had no healthcare insurance. They became heavily in debt and had to return to the UK for healthcare.
And this path is still open to OP. Hubby runs a business on an E2, wifey gets her certifications, finds a nursing job on her EAD, and pursues a green card for the whole family through that.

Fraught with ifs and has a realistic chance of not only calamity(as shown by your example) but also success.

One for the brave, perhaps.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your replies, I had thought that may be the case hey ho

Silverdragon, Canada would be an option, like I said we are not running away from the uk, but given that we have paid our mortgage off we are thinking about using that freedom to do something different and experience another lifestlyle.

How long have you been over there? My dh actually fancies Canada more than the US so he would be fine. Is the weather as cold and bad as I imagine? lol.Nova Scotia does appeal to me Do you work in an Acute area of Nursing? Is the cost of living around the same as the uk? Sorry for all the questions, like I said we wouldn't be thinking about going until my husband has done his training and done a years experience first so a lot can change in 5 years I suppose.

Thanks again everyone

xx
Live 2 hours from Halifax and 45 mins from Moncton and love it. Will send you a pm