British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Nursing Elective Placement (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nursing-elective-placement-332790/)

nick333 Oct 21st 2005 3:35 pm

Nursing Elective Placement

Please can anyone offer any advice/guidance please.

I am a 2nd year student currently studying for a 3 year Diploma in Nursing - Adult Branch, at University of Hertfordshire.

At the end of our second year, July/August 06, we have a 4 week elective placement which i would love to undertake in America, but at present am finding it difficult to establish whether this is feasible.

My aim, once qualified, is to study for and sit the U.S. exams, and i would use the placement to not only broaden my skills, but to gain a greater understanding of the U.S. health care system.

I have got loads of ?'s i need answers to, but am hoping someone on this forum would be able to offer guidance on some of the more pressing ones. So here goes:-

1. Is it feasible, i.e. are you aware of it happening previously.
2. If so, is it common for overseas student to undertake placements or is it done on a state by state or even city by city basis.
3. Who should my initial approach be made to. Is there a specific dept. that handles training issues.
4. What would be the best approach - email, letter, telephone call
5. would it be better to approach private hospitals or teaching hospitals associated with Universities
6. Would approaching Universities in the first instance be my best option

I've got loads more ?'s but if your still awake thus far I'm sure the above is more than enough to going on with lol.

There is no cost to the hospital in relation to the placement as i am responsible for my travel, accommodation and living costs.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Must dash as need to bury my head back into my books as have essays and lab reports to complete.

Have also posted this thread in the nursing forum.

Best regards,

Nicki

bored-silly Oct 21st 2005 3:40 pm

Re: Nursing Elective Placement

Since when did nursing students get an elective placement?? :confused:

Englishmum Oct 21st 2005 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Since when did nursing students get an elective placement?? :confused:

I don't know about nursing students but my daughter is at Brunel University in the School of Health Care; they offer placements to some of the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy students at Tuft's University in Boston, MA (as well as in some EU countries eg. Denmark and Sweden), but I don't know if this is offered to nursing students (it's probably on their website).

To the O/P; I think you need to speak with the Head of your nursing school or course director to see if your college has links with overseas universities - or if they are planning to initiate them. I think it's often done on a reciprocal basis, basically like an inter-college student exchange programme.

fatbrit Oct 21st 2005 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by nick333
the U.S. health care system.

Don't think we've got one of those, have we?

nick333 Oct 21st 2005 4:27 pm

Bored,

Our uni has been doing it for sime time.

Last year one of the girls did her placement with the Flying Doctor Service in Aus

nethead Oct 21st 2005 4:28 pm

Hi Nicki, have you tried any of the UK student nurse forums, someone there may be able to help you. I'm not sure any hospitals here would let you have 'hands on' maybe just observation.

Manc Oct 21st 2005 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Don't think we've got one of those, have we?

:D

Silverdragon102 Oct 21st 2005 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by nick333
Please can anyone offer any advice/guidance please.

I am a 2nd year student currently studying for a 3 year Diploma in Nursing - Adult Branch, at University of Hertfordshire.

At the end of our second year, July/August 06, we have a 4 week elective placement which i would love to undertake in America, but at present am finding it difficult to establish whether this is feasible.

My aim, once qualified, is to study for and sit the U.S. exams, and i would use the placement to not only broaden my skills, but to gain a greater understanding of the U.S. health care system.

I have got loads of ?'s i need answers to, but am hoping someone on this forum would be able to offer guidance on some of the more pressing ones. So here goes:-

1. Is it feasible, i.e. are you aware of it happening previously.
2. If so, is it common for overseas student to undertake placements or is it done on a state by state or even city by city basis.
3. Who should my initial approach be made to. Is there a specific dept. that handles training issues.
4. What would be the best approach - email, letter, telephone call
5. would it be better to approach private hospitals or teaching hospitals associated with Universities
6. Would approaching Universities in the first instance be my best option

I've got loads more ?'s but if your still awake thus far I'm sure the above is more than enough to going on with lol.

There is no cost to the hospital in relation to the placement as i am responsible for my travel, accommodation and living costs.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Must dash as need to bury my head back into my books as have essays and lab reports to complete.

Have also posted this thread in the nursing forum.

Best regards,

Nicki

Hi

I don't think it is possible to do a elective in the US but the best way would be check with your university.

To nurse in the US you need to make sure that you have enough nursing hours in both practical and theory in Mental health, paeds, midwifery and general traiing and at present UK nurse training does not meet this criteria.

Check this website out you may get more answers www.allnurses.com and check the UK and international forum as this has been asked a few times re nursing in the US. :D

This is a route I am taking but I trained many yrs ago when training was generic and all aspects was covered.

Bob Oct 21st 2005 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I don't know about nursing students but my daughter is at Brunel University in the School of Health Care; they offer placements to some of the Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy students at Tuft's University in Boston, MA (as well as in some EU countries eg. Denmark and Sweden), but I don't know if this is offered to nursing students (it's probably on their website).

They exchange with San Fran too, but if you can find a student that wants to exchange with Brunel, the uni will work on an exchange, it's how a mate went to Sydney Tech for a year...but going to the US costs an arm and a leg anyway to get the visa you have to show at least $7K a semester to have a chance, well for the San Fran gig, and on top you have to have the fee's....so it's not cheap...and as a student, probably not much chance of a nursing placement, seems plenty of students over here, plus your qualifications might not mean much till you do US exams....good luck with it though.

Rockgurl Oct 21st 2005 7:56 pm

I don't know about the elective placement part, but I do know that you won't be able to actually take the US exam until you are qualified in England so that you can prove you have done the required hours in the relevant subjects.

In my opinion, if you do manage to get over there for a placement then most DEFINITELY opt for a University Hospital. Do NOT approach a for-profit private hospital. I have worked at both and the difference is vast.

If you have any nursing questions then PM me as I work in ICU over here in CT and trained in London.

Sarah Oct 22nd 2005 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I don't know about the elective placement part, but I do know that you won't be able to actually take the US exam until you are qualified in England so that you can prove you have done the required hours in the relevant subjects.

In my opinion, if you do manage to get over there for a placement then most DEFINITELY opt for a University Hospital. Do NOT approach a for-profit private hospital. I have worked at both and the difference is vast.

If you have any nursing questions then PM me as I work in ICU over here in CT and trained in London.

Hey RG!
Missed you around these parts! How you been doing, you gorgeous rock goddess? :)

Rockgurl Oct 22nd 2005 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Hey RG!
Missed you around these parts! How you been doing, you gorgeous rock goddess? :)

Hello sweetpea! Doing fine thanks, and yourself? I've been incessantly touring with the band for most of the summer so I haven't been around much but finally my bum has hit the seat. :D

Sarah Oct 22nd 2005 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Hello sweetpea! Doing fine thanks, and yourself? I've been incessantly touring with the band for most of the summer so I haven't been around much but finally my bum has hit the seat. :D

If you ever, ever play in Pennsylvania will you tell me?
I'm writing for an online magazine and part of it is reviewing bands, so let me know and maybe I can give you guys a plug :)

Rockgurl Oct 22nd 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
If you ever, ever play in Pennsylvania will you tell me?
I'm writing for an online magazine and part of it is reviewing bands, so let me know and maybe I can give you guys a plug :)

Yes I will...thanks. I just left one band and am now starting another so it will be a while before we're ready to go out on the road, but when we do I'll let you know. Cheers. :D

nick333 Oct 25th 2005 4:45 pm

thanks all for your replies. has given me plenty of food for thought