Reload this Page >

Nurse or Accountant??

Nurse or Accountant??

Old May 15th 2007, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

sandia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse or Accountant??

Hi Everyone,
I am totally new here so apologies if I have missed the answer to this somewhere. My husband and I want to relocatre to the states in 2010/2011 I am 27 and currently in my 1st year of Adult Nursing Diploma I already have a degree in Computing. He is 26 and is a financial accountant.
He really wants to stay in the filed of business hes in currentlya nd has told me that he wants to move to NY. My questions are
How difficult will it be for him to find a job in a few years time - he is planning on being in a managerial position by then
If I go through a nursing agency can I specify the area I want to move to?
Has anyone got any recommendations for agencies?? And is a diploma good enough??
Anyone got any advice to give me as to be honest the whole thing is a little overwhelming for me at the minute. We want to go over and check out areas and figure out exactlyw here we would like ot be based but am wondering if ti is better to be a little more flexible??
Thanks Very much
Sandia
Old May 15th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse or Accountant??

Originally Posted by sandia
Hi Everyone,
I am totally new here so apologies if I have missed the answer to this somewhere. My husband and I want to relocatre to the states in 2010/2011 I am 27 and currently in my 1st year of Adult Nursing Diploma I already have a degree in Computing. He is 26 and is a financial accountant.
He really wants to stay in the filed of business hes in currentlya nd has told me that he wants to move to NY. My questions are
How difficult will it be for him to find a job in a few years time - he is planning on being in a managerial position by then
If I go through a nursing agency can I specify the area I want to move to?
Has anyone got any recommendations for agencies?? And is a diploma good enough??
Anyone got any advice to give me as to be honest the whole thing is a little overwhelming for me at the minute. We want to go over and check out areas and figure out exactlyw here we would like ot be based but am wondering if ti is better to be a little more flexible??
Thanks Very much
Sandia

Hi and welcome to the site

As a nurse currently going through the process I would suggest whilst still at university barter with them to get a minimum 50 hours both in theory and practical in all areas ie paeds, mental health, midwifery (you should do ok for general hours) so that you meet requirements for state board of nursing (BON) I would also suggest checking out the International forum on www.allnurses.com as plenty of good info on what to do. Do not have to go with an agency and to be honest you will have a better change on going where you want without. Apparently at the moment it is hard for GC petitioning in NY with hospitals and would not suggest going to nursing homes at the moment as you will not get the support you need for orientation although may change in the future regarding hospitals in NY and petitioning. Diploma should be fine as long as you meet the BON requirements which can't be done until you qualify. Like I suggest check out the allnurses website I post there a lot under same name and there is plenty of good information

Sorry but can't help regarding your husband

PM me if you want any more info
Old May 15th 2007, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

As for nursing, well there's plenty of threads knocking around, concensus is agencies aren't that great, you need nclex and that's the easiest way in as you'll get the greencard straight off in essence...though it'll take a year or so to get once you start the process, probably more by then.

Your other half, well it's a bit hard to say that far in the future, H1B visa currently is a bit shit in that if he got it, and you came here on the H4, you wouldn't be allowed to work. His best bet would be to find a company with a branch in the US and get them to transfer him on the L1 visa.
Old May 15th 2007, 6:47 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

One word....Nursing.Even if you start at a lesser desirable position,in time as a nurse you will be able to find better,its a job that is in high demand.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:04 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
One word....Nursing.Even if you start at a lesser desirable position,in time as a nurse you will be able to find better,its a job that is in high demand.
Short of one or two other highly unlikely entry routes or marrying a USC thats about the only route to both moving and working stateside. However one word: Retrogression...or have they fixed that mess now?
Old May 15th 2007, 7:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
However one word: Retrogression...or have they fixed that mess now?
nope.
Old May 15th 2007, 8:01 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
nope.
Ah well then my advice to the OP would be to stay in India (or wherever they are)
Old May 16th 2007, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

Will concentrate on getting my 50 hours and will let my other half know that he may have to change companys to make life easier....

Its so far away but already Im quite excited!!
Sandia
Old May 16th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for all your help guys I really appreciate it.

Will concentrate on getting my 50 hours and will let my other half know that he may have to change companys to make life easier....

Its so far away but already Im quite excited!!
Sandia
try to get 50 hours ish in all specialities in both theory and practical. Check out the UK forum on www.allnurses.com there are a few students posting
Old May 16th 2007, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Silverdragon,
What happens if you cant get the hours?? I mean I have done a mental health placement and so have got practical hours there, but peads is hard - we have been given theory work so I have hours in theory but not in practice and will not be able to get any in the next few years as placements are hard to come by. Can you get any missing hours afterwards somehow - not sure how maybe through bank owrk or something.

Also the NCLEX exam - can you regsiter to do that before youa re qualified?? Just thought it may be one thing to get out of the way in the next couple of years... is it really hard?? There is so much to think about its a little opverwhelming - just glad we are starting to think about it all now and not in a few years time!!

Thanks again
loadsaluv Sandia
Old May 16th 2007, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon,
What happens if you cant get the hours?? I mean I have done a mental health placement and so have got practical hours there, but peads is hard - we have been given theory work so I have hours in theory but not in practice and will not be able to get any in the next few years as placements are hard to come by. Can you get any missing hours afterwards somehow - not sure how maybe through bank owrk or something.

Also the NCLEX exam - can you regsiter to do that before youa re qualified?? Just thought it may be one thing to get out of the way in the next couple of years... is it really hard?? There is so much to think about its a little opverwhelming - just glad we are starting to think about it all now and not in a few years time!!

Thanks again
loadsaluv Sandia
The best thing to do is once you qualify is get CES done by CGFNS who will do a break down of your transcripts and see if you meet US requirments. Really better to try and get it all done whilst at uni otherwise if you are hours short then there is a possibility of doing hours as a guest student in the US at a school of nursing but will cost money. The hours have to be done with an accredited course or school of nursing.

The NCLEX can not be done until you have qualified and the state BON has decided that you meet their requirements. You are looking at a process time of minimum 18 months from starting the process and currently nurses are not fast tracked and the visa wait is a couple of years but hopefully this will be sorted out in the next 6 months but have stopped holding my breath. Like I said check out the allnurses website especially the UK and international forum plenty of info there and I use the same username on there