Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

npection station recorded wrong odometer reading

npection station recorded wrong odometer reading

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:53 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default npection station recorded wrong odometer reading

Took my car for its annual inspection last October. It passed, and I reviewed the certificate briefly and filed it away.

Now I have just renewed my insurance and claimed a low-mileage discount. My broker has e-mailed me to say that he can't provide this to me as the inspection station has recorded a very high reading.

On looking at the certificate it's obvious to me that they recorded the kilometer reading instead of the miles - if I divide the number by 1.6 it comes to pretty much what I expected the car to have been at last October.

Mrs tonrob took the car for its inspection - and she has a habit of changing the setting from miles to km as it also has the effect of changing the temperature reading from Fahrenheit to Celsius which, even after seven years here, she still prefers for some reason. When this is done there is a little km after the number, but they must have missed this.

I plan to go to the inspection station to see if there is anything they can do once they reopen after the holiday. In the meantime I thought I'd come on here and ask if anyone had come across this happening before.

I have no proof of what the mileage actually was when the inspection was done, but if they look at the odometer now they'll see that the reading is much lower than the one they recorded...
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: npection station recorded wrong odometer reading

Originally Posted by tonrob
Took my car for its annual inspection last October. It passed, and I reviewed the certificate briefly and filed it away.

Now I have just renewed my insurance and claimed a low-mileage discount. My broker has e-mailed me to say that he can't provide this to me as the inspection station has recorded a very high reading.

On looking at the certificate it's obvious to me that they recorded the kilometer reading instead of the miles - if I divide the number by 1.6 it comes to pretty much what I expected the car to have been at last October.

Mrs tonrob took the car for its inspection - and she has a habit of changing the setting from miles to km as it also has the effect of changing the temperature reading from Fahrenheit to Celsius which, even after seven years here, she still prefers for some reason. When this is done there is a little km after the number, but they must have missed this.

I plan to go to the inspection station to see if there is anything they can do once they reopen after the holiday. In the meantime I thought I'd come on here and ask if anyone had come across this happening before.

I have no proof of what the mileage actually was when the inspection was done, but if they look at the odometer now they'll see that the reading is much lower than the one they recorded...
What is this annual inspection you speak of? Is that MA equivalent of an MOT? I do do not think we have that in FL (I hope!)
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

NJ has stopped testing vehicles...so now any old heap of junk is allowed on the roads.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
What is this annual inspection you speak of? Is that MA equivalent of an MOT? I do do not think we have that in FL (I hope!)
Yup, it's our MOT.

tonrob, you can get it re-inspected, when ever you want, it'll just cost you the $30 for a new inspection. They'll only review a previous inspection if you failed.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:04 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
NJ has stopped testing vehicles...so now any old heap of junk is allowed on the roads.
They drive them down here to FL to die!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
They drive them down here to FL to die!
Much like everyone else that moves down there for
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Bob
Much like everyone else that moves down there for
Did that sound like I meant the cars die?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I didn't know this. So my inspection sticker runs out in November so I don't have to trek to the DMV to get it tested? Or am I thinking of something entirely different?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:43 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
tonrob, you can get it re-inspected, when ever you want, it'll just cost you the $30 for a new inspection. They'll only review a previous inspection if you failed.
Good thinking - although I'd want them to eat the fee. Besides the fact that I've taken both our cars there for every inspection since we moved here, the inspection station is part of the gas station at the end of our street where we've bought 80%+ of our gas for the last seven years - so I must have forked over thousands to them as a customer: a point I shall be making to them tomorrow when they re-open.