Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Now married & getting health insurance?! Help?!

Now married & getting health insurance?! Help?!

Old May 22nd 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

kateb77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Now married & getting health insurance?! Help?!

Anyone got any advice whatsoever on getting Health insurance once you're in the states and married?! Any recommendations of who to contact etc?

Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks BE x
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:09 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now married & getting health insurance?! Help?!

Originally Posted by kateb77
Anyone got any advice whatsoever on getting Health insurance once you're in the states and married?! Any recommendations of who to contact etc?

Thanks BE x
http://tinyurl.com/qmerxv
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Thanks for the sarcasm dick.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:13 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread moved to USA Forum, as it deals with Health Insurance rather than Immigration/Visas.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:14 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kb,

I thought it was quite appropriate, excellent advice.

Regards, JEff

Thanks for the sarcasm dick.
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BE x
I'm the USC, my fiance came over on a K-1. After we married, I was able to add him immediately to my existing health and dental coverage which I have through my employer.

Rene
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I'm the USC, my fiance came over on a K-1. After we married, I was able to add him immediately to my existing health and dental coverage which I have through my employer.

Rene
Thanks Rene,

That's the kind of advice I was after - not just google! We all know how easy it is to google and then trawl through 1001 links...

The problem I have is that my husband is self employed so we need to look at private health insurance - I probably should have clarified that at the beginning...

Rgds
KB
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:38 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

kb,

Indeed. And the missing information makes Ray's response all the more appropriate.

Regards, JEff

The problem I have is that my husband is self employed so we need to look at private health insurance - I probably should have clarified that at the beginning...

Rgds
KB
Old May 22nd 2009, 3:38 pm

Thanks Rene,

That's the kind of advice I was after - not just google! We all know how easy it is to google and then trawl through 1001 links...

Rgds
KB
I figured that was the case, but just wanted to throw my experience out there. So....how is he currently covered? What health insurance does he currently have, as a self-employed person?

Rene
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
kb,

Indeed. And the missing information makes Ray's response all the more appropriate.

Regards, JEff
Not really Jeff... anyone could google any part of this entire process of getting to the states and living there and everything involved with that. My understanding of the concept of this forum is to share other people's experience and advice which is what I was asking for.

Thanks
KB
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I figured that was the case, but just wanted to throw my experience out there. So....how is he currently covered? What health insurance does he currently have, as a self-employed person?

Rene
I appreciate that Rene... He's currently covered with Aetna privately... But he applied to add me to his last night and they declined.

I've seen some threads about not being able to get insurance until you've been in the country for at least 6 months - do you know anything about this? Is it the same if you've married a USC?

thanks,
KB
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:42 pm

I appreciate that Rene... He's currently covered with Aetna privately... But he applied to add me to his last night and they declined.

I've seen some threads about not being able to get insurance until you've been in the country for at least 6 months - do you know anything about this? Is it the same if you've married a USC?

thanks,
KB
I have not heard of that 6 month rule, no. Did Aetna say why you were declined/denied? I can't imagine why it would be a problem to add his wife to his existing coverage!

Rene
Old May 22nd 2009, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

A self employed person doesn't have to get private insurance, there are plenty of small business group policies that will sell you a group policies based on all their members, pretty much the same thing any company can get and offer their employees. But of course, because "we all know how easy it is to google and then trawl through 1001 links" you must have already ruled that one out. Curious as to why you reject that option though as it seems that would solve the problem and likely give you a lower rate and more coverage than a private one.
Old May 22nd 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

In most if not all states www.anthem.com does individual coverage. In Virginia, not sure about others www.optimahealth.com does too. I've never heard of the 6 month wait, I would call and ask.

Just had a thought, maybe there was a certain number of days he had to add you after you got married, if you missed that window you might have to wait until his policy renews.

Last edited by bevinva; May 22nd 2009 at 9:13 pm.
Old May 22nd 2009, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bevinva
In most if not all states www.anthem.com does individual coverage. In Virginia, not sure about others www.optimahealth.com does too. I've never heard of the 6 month wait, I would call and ask.

Just had a thought, maybe there was a certain number of days he had to add you after you got married, if you missed that window you might have to wait until his policy renews.
Oh ok, thanks.. will have a closer look.
KB