Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is now a good time to move to the USA ?

Is now a good time to move to the USA ?

Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:49 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is now a good time to move to the USA ?

With the US in economic turmoil, Citi Bank announcing 50,000 job cuts etc, is now really a good time to be moving to the USA ?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is now a good time to move to the USA ?

Originally Posted by pgtips
With the US in economic turmoil, Citi Bank announcing 50,000 job cuts etc, is now really a good time to be moving to the USA ?
depends what you're looking for and why you want to leave wherever you are now I suppose!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:50 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
depends what you're looking for and why you want to leave wherever you are now I suppose!
I suppose I meant, in such a down turn and so many people losing their jobs and homes now, are new immigrants going to face hostility from those struggling to make ends meat ? It always happens like that in Britain, when the economy is in big trouble, the the new immigrants are always blamed.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:57 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I meant, in such a down turn and so many people losing their jobs and homes now, are new immigrants going to face hostility from those struggling to make ends meat ? It always happens like that in Britain, when the economy is in big trouble, the the new immigrants are always blamed.
Depends how and why you intend to come...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Depends how and why you intend to come...
If I were to come and buy a house that has fallen dramatically in price and work, whilst others around me may have lost their jobs, houses etc would I become an object of scorn ?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

If I were to come and buy a house that has fallen dramatically in price and work, whilst others around me may have lost their jobs, houses etc would I become an object of scorn ?
Nothing to stop you buying a house anytime here
The problem is getting a visa to work ...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Nothing to stop you buying a house anytime here
The problem is getting a visa to work ...
And what is the attitude of the Ameicans to new immigrants in these times of economic woe, or is it too early to tell ?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

And what is the attitude of the Ameicans to new immigrants in these times of economic woe, or is it too early to tell ?
According to my dear old mum you can't possibly be an immigrant because you are British.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:24 pm
Ray

Depends on where you end up ... Statewise and community wise

I can honestly say I hardly know any of my neighbors
They come and go... rarely seen...

Nobody really cares who or what you are
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
According to my dear old mum you can't possibly be an immigrant because you are British.
I suppose that goes back to Brittannia rules the waves !!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Depends on where you end up ... Statewise and community wise

Nobody really cares who or what you are
A close knit community I see
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:41 pm
Ray

A close knit community I see
People stay in their air conditioned comfort ...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose that goes back to Brittannia rules the waves !!!
Yeah something like that.

We've lived in our house for over 10 years and hardly know our neighbours. We hardly ever see anyone...apart from a quick drive by wave every few weeks. My neighbour's mail was delivered to our address a couple of weeks ago...she was driving up her driveway just as I was going to drop the mail off. Even though I hadn't seen her to speak to for about 5 years all I got was a thank you and away she drove.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:51 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

That's because all your neighbours are drug dealers or pimps and only work at night.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:52 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

What's an american? Don't think I've seen one since I moved here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.