Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Old Feb 13th 2020, 4:09 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2019
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 28
craig10104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

I've been doing some reading about building your credit score in America and came across Nova Credit which partnered with American Express. Has anyone else came across this before or am I misunderstanding something because every time I've looked into transferring a credit score from the UK to America the answer has pretty much been not possible but this seems quite interesting.
craig10104 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 4:17 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,917
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Originally Posted by craig10104 View Post
I've been doing some reading about building your credit score in America and came across Nova Credit which partnered with American Express. Has anyone else came across this before or am I misunderstanding something because every time I've looked into transferring a credit score from the UK to America the answer has pretty much been not possible but this seems quite interesting.
This does not transfer a UK credit score to the USA. There are certain AMEX cards where AMEX themselves will use their UK records to issue a US credit card. It is internal to AMEX. It is useful because it enables a new immigrant to get a credit card immediately and then start building their US credit score. Do a search on American Express and you will find plenty of references to this.
MidAtlantic is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 4:24 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2019
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 28
craig10104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
This does not transfer a UK credit score to the USA. There are certain AMEX cards where AMEX themselves will use their UK records to issue a US credit card. It is internal to AMEX. It is useful because it enables a new immigrant to get a credit card immediately and then start building their US credit score. Do a search on American Express and you will find plenty of references to this.
Ahh ok, although I always thought that was if you have had an AMEX card in the UK, but I'm reading this Nova Credit as it takes into account your actual credit history, such as Experian to obtain an AMEX card in the USA.
craig10104 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 5:42 pm
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Athens GA
Posts: 1,917
MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Originally Posted by craig10104 View Post
Ahh ok, although I always thought that was if you have had an AMEX card in the UK, but I'm reading this Nova Credit as it takes into account your actual credit history, such as Experian to obtain an AMEX card in the USA.
I see what you mean. This looks like an extension to the AMEX scheme, with only AMEX as Nova's partner for credit cards in the USA at this stage. It will be interesting to see if it works! It could be a very helpful resource to many.

This link gives information about it from the AMEX end . https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...on-help-extend

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Feb 13th 2020 at 5:57 pm.
MidAtlantic is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 6:06 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2019
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 28
craig10104 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
I see what you mean. This looks like an extension to the AMEX scheme, with only AMEX as Nova's partner for credit cards in the USA at this stage. It will be interesting to see if it works! It could be a very helpful resource to many.

This link gives information about it from the AMEX end . https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...on-help-extend
That was my exact thought, I'm moving in June hopefully. I think I'm going to give it a try and report back my findings because I think it's a really interesting idea.
craig10104 is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 7:15 pm
  #6  
Austin. TX.
 
petitefrancaise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 5,726
petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

interesting - although there is no such thing as an "international credit report". No EU countries listed so I suspect it is still not legal to do this there. They won't be able to add any card to your US credit report until you get an ssn.
Other options to consider are
credit stacks - with an L1 visa you usually get a $5k limit and the card is sent to you at your home country address before you leave for the USA.
L1 + H1b visa - Bank of America will issue you a credit card with cash back non secured $10k limit preferable to apply once ssn has arrived.
Advancial $5k limit once ssn has arrived.
Wells Fargo - $5-$10k limit once ssn has arrived.

petitefrancaise is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2020, 7:44 pm
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 333
TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Historically AMEX offered their international transfer program, where if you had an AMEX in a participating country, you could open an equivalent card in your new country without requiring in country credit history.

For this you had to have had your AMEX in the original country for more than 3 months.

Recently AMEX partnered with Nova to enable you to apply for a brand new AMEX, regardless of whether you previously held one direct from the AMEX website. There is an option when you hit apply on some cards to select you don't have a US credit history and subsequently supply your original countries details and have your card issued with that. AMEX will then report to the US credit bureaus once you have and supply a US SSN.
TheKingOfHearts is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.