British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nova-credit-amex-claims-transferring-credit-score-931090/)

craig10104 Feb 13th 2020 4:09 pm

Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

I've been doing some reading about building your credit score in America and came across Nova Credit which partnered with American Express. Has anyone else came across this before or am I misunderstanding something because every time I've looked into transferring a credit score from the UK to America the answer has pretty much been not possible but this seems quite interesting.

MidAtlantic Feb 13th 2020 4:17 pm

Re: Nova Credit with AMEX - Claims on transferring credit score

Originally Posted by craig10104 (Post 12806187)
I've been doing some reading about building your credit score in America and came across Nova Credit which partnered with American Express. Has anyone else came across this before or am I misunderstanding something because every time I've looked into transferring a credit score from the UK to America the answer has pretty much been not possible but this seems quite interesting.

This does not transfer a UK credit score to the USA. There are certain AMEX cards where AMEX themselves will use their UK records to issue a US credit card. It is internal to AMEX. It is useful because it enables a new immigrant to get a credit card immediately and then start building their US credit score. Do a search on American Express and you will find plenty of references to this.

craig10104 Feb 13th 2020 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12806191)
This does not transfer a UK credit score to the USA. There are certain AMEX cards where AMEX themselves will use their UK records to issue a US credit card. It is internal to AMEX. It is useful because it enables a new immigrant to get a credit card immediately and then start building their US credit score. Do a search on American Express and you will find plenty of references to this.

Ahh ok, although I always thought that was if you have had an AMEX card in the UK, but I'm reading this Nova Credit as it takes into account your actual credit history, such as Experian to obtain an AMEX card in the USA.

MidAtlantic Feb 13th 2020 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by craig10104 (Post 12806197)
Ahh ok, although I always thought that was if you have had an AMEX card in the UK, but I'm reading this Nova Credit as it takes into account your actual credit history, such as Experian to obtain an AMEX card in the USA.

I see what you mean. This looks like an extension to the AMEX scheme, with only AMEX as Nova's partner for credit cards in the USA at this stage. It will be interesting to see if it works! It could be a very helpful resource to many.

This link gives information about it from the AMEX end . https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...on-help-extend

craig10104 Feb 13th 2020 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12806231)
I see what you mean. This looks like an extension to the AMEX scheme, with only AMEX as Nova's partner for credit cards in the USA at this stage. It will be interesting to see if it works! It could be a very helpful resource to many.

This link gives information about it from the AMEX end . https://about.americanexpress.com/pr...on-help-extend

That was my exact thought, I'm moving in June hopefully. I think I'm going to give it a try and report back my findings because I think it's a really interesting idea.

petitefrancaise Feb 13th 2020 7:15 pm

interesting - although there is no such thing as an "international credit report". No EU countries listed so I suspect it is still not legal to do this there. They won't be able to add any card to your US credit report until you get an ssn.
Other options to consider are
credit stacks - with an L1 visa you usually get a $5k limit and the card is sent to you at your home country address before you leave for the USA.
L1 + H1b visa - Bank of America will issue you a credit card with cash back non secured $10k limit preferable to apply once ssn has arrived.
Advancial $5k limit once ssn has arrived.
Wells Fargo - $5-$10k limit once ssn has arrived.

TheKingOfHearts Feb 13th 2020 7:44 pm

Historically AMEX offered their international transfer program, where if you had an AMEX in a participating country, you could open an equivalent card in your new country without requiring in country credit history.

For this you had to have had your AMEX in the original country for more than 3 months.

Recently AMEX partnered with Nova to enable you to apply for a brand new AMEX, regardless of whether you previously held one direct from the AMEX website. There is an option when you hit apply on some cards to select you don't have a US credit history and subsequently supply your original countries details and have your card issued with that. AMEX will then report to the US credit bureaus once you have and supply a US SSN.