Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Notify UK bank that we're moving to the US?

Notify UK bank that we're moving to the US?

Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notify UK bank that we're moving to the US?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Odd the Nat West have been sending statements, correspondence, even new bank cards and credit cards to our US address since 1996.
I asked my OH for my clarification about it as I couldn't quite remember all the details. He didn't try to update them with his US address until he had already came over on his K1 visa. When he called them from the US to give them the address, they told him that he would have to physically come in the branch and provide them with proof of the address change? How was he supposed to have proof prior to him moving; he wouldn't have had any bills in his name yet? Errr, so yeah he was supposed to fly back to the UK just to present them with proof of address?! So we just left it in his parents address.

Originally Posted by C_C
Hmmm...we're with Natwest too.
I assume/hope that the account of yours they closed had no money in it???
It was a savings account, and it did actually have around £15-£20 in it. I'm sure they somehow managed to eat it up in service fees as we never received a check for the remaining funds.

This is really a pain for us though, as we are planning to return to the UK later this year and we are facing the uphill battle of getting an account opened.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I asked my OH for my clarification about it as I couldn't quite remember all the details. He didn't try to update them with his US address until he had already came over on his K1 visa. When he called them from the US to give them the address, they told him that he would have to physically come in the branch and provide them with proof of the address change? How was he supposed to have proof prior to him moving; he wouldn't have had any bills in his name yet? Errr, so yeah he was supposed to fly back to the UK just to present them with proof of address?! So we just left it in his parents address.

It was a savings account, and it did actually have around £15-£20 in it. I'm sure they somehow managed to eat it up in service fees as we never received a check for the remaining funds.

This is really a pain for us though, as we are planning to return to the UK later this year and we are facing the uphill battle of getting an account opened.
I don't think I had to go through all that...bearing in mind it was 15 years ago and UK banks in recent years have really tightened their security up due to money laundering and terrorism. Opening an AMEX account that you can transfer to the UK may be a solution.

Edit: Re your other post it is very difficult to open an account if you are not a resident. A couple of years ago a young couple in front of me were trying to open an account. The bank insisted on seeing utility bills/rent book/mortgage payments to prove ID and residence. They lived with their parents therefore they couldn't produce those documents...in the end they left without opening an account.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 1st 2011 at 2:50 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:28 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
A good bet is the "International" arms of the UK banks, i.e. those branches based on the surrounding islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man) which are fully geared up to dealing with non-residents. You'll need to jump through some hoops to prove ID but you'll end up with a bank account that will work fine and dandy in the UK. However, if you're into instant gratification then you'll be disappointed, as it will take a bit of time and effort to go through the application process!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
A good bet is the "International" arms of the UK banks, i.e. those branches based on the surrounding islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man) which are fully geared up to dealing with non-residents. You'll need to jump through some hoops to prove ID but you'll end up with a bank account that will work fine and dandy in the UK. However, if you're into instant gratification then you'll be disappointed, as it will take a bit of time and effort to go through the application process!
The deposit protection arrangements in the Dependencies are not up to the same standards as onshore in the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:13 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The deposit protection arrangements in the Dependencies are not up to the same standards as onshore in the UK.
True, but if you just want a current account, and aren't wanting a home for a ton of money, then that won't be an issue. Unfortunately I don't have that issue so am happy with their account offerings.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:03 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

I would strongly recommend to keep all your UK identity/accounts/policies, etc., live and running (as we did) and if one institution can't accommodate your new situatuion, fire them and go to someone who can. Most can accept overseas addresses.

The sheer hassle and nonsense that you have to go through to open new accounts is something you would want to avoid.

I would also keep a UK address somewhere with someone you know/trust or use a mailing address & forwarding service as your correspondence address to keep in touch with anything in your home area that might affect you, any property you have and your extended family, etc.

Also, if you do have a property, I would recommend that you keep it if it is at all feasible to do, just in case things don't work out in the US somehow and then you've got something to go back to. The cost of buying a home nowadays is high and you've got the expense of temporary accommodation to consider too.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

sean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant futuresean3636 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by C_C
Hello everyone,

We're moving to the US in a couple of months and we've started looking at all the logistics of the move.
One of my questions has to do with notifying (or not) our UK bank that we'll be moving to the US. If the UK bank knows that we won't be residing in the UK anymore, are they likely to cause us any problems with our account?

We intend to leave one of our UK accounts open (just a simple checking account), mainly because we're expecting some money to come into it after we've moved. We will only need to have the account open for a month or so after we've moved, just so we can receive the money and then transfer it to our US account using a foreign exchange service. If it wasn't for this money, we'd probably close all our UK accounts before we left.

Note here that none of us is from the UK originally, so we're not likely to be returning regularly for vacation, visits etc.

So what do people think?
Is it a better idea to notify the UK bank that we're leaving anyway and that we're keeping one account open?
Is it a better idea to keep silent about it until after we've made all the transfers we need to?
Or does it not matter either way?
I would leave all your UK accounts open for the time being until you can get yourself established credit wise over here. I am not sure how difficult it is now to open a checking account over here in the US for new arrivals but what I do know is my good credit from the UK did not follow and I had to start from scratch again with no credit.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sean3636
I would leave all your UK accounts open for the time being until you can get yourself established credit wise over here. I am not sure how difficult it is now to open a checking account over here in the US for new arrivals but what I do know is my good credit from the UK did not follow and I had to start from scratch again with no credit.
Opening a checking account has nothing to do with one's credit history. If you have the proper documentation to prove your identity & address (SSN card, driver's license, passport, green card, EAD, utility bill, etc), anyone can open an account in the US.

Which is why I don't understand why it's so difficult to open an account in the UK. A checking/current account is simply a place for one to put their money so they don't have to stuff the mattress, and doesn't have any bearing on credit needs.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Kat Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
My husband kept an account with Natwest when he came over in 2004. They wouldn't accept an overseas address so he sent the statements to his parents address. We found out recently they closed the account for non-activity without any notice to us.
NatWest made it so difficult for me to open an account with them even though I had been living in the UK for over 7 years on a resident visa and had accounts with Abbey and Halifax...no matter what I provided (and they kept on asking for more) it was never enough. My husband had been with them since he was 16, but they didn't want to know me, nor wanted my NHS paycheck going to them every month......after 9/11 as a US citizen I should have been the last of their concerns, I opened up another acount with Abbey now Santander, it was such a palaver!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kat Taylor
NatWest made it so difficult for me to open an account with them even though I had been living in the UK for over 7 years on a resident visa and had accounts with Abbey and Halifax...no matter what I provided (and they kept on asking for more) it was never enough. My husband had been with them since he was 16, but they didn't want to know me, nor wanted my NHS paycheck going to them every month......after 9/11 as a US citizen I should have been the last of their concerns, I opened up another acount with Abbey now Santander, it was such a palaver!
What does the bit I highlighted have to do with anything?
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Opening a checking account has nothing to do with one's credit history. If you have the proper documentation to prove your identity & address (SSN card, driver's license, passport, green card, EAD, utility bill, etc), anyone can open an account in the US.

Which is why I don't understand why it's so difficult to open an account in the UK. A checking/current account is simply a place for one to put their money so they don't have to stuff the mattress, and doesn't have any bearing on credit needs.
Because they don't want you funnelling all your proceeds of crime through them (drugs, weapons running, etc). The FSA no doubt have a Know Your Customer concept of proving identity, residence, etc (similar to the one in the Isle of Man that I have some memory of).

As to the Offshore Centres, Expat Services, however you want to call them, the surrounding isles (IOM, Channel Islands) do offer these services - albeit at a price. The Lloyds TSB Offshore Premier International account has monthly fees if your balance falls below £2500/$3500/€2500 of £20/$30/€20 respectively - other banks are likely similar.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

General Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of lightGeneral Tojo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rallybug

As to the Offshore Centres, Expat Services, however you want to call them, the surrounding isles (IOM, Channel Islands) do offer these services - albeit at a price. The Lloyds TSB Offshore Premier International account has monthly fees if your balance falls below £2500/$3500/€2500 of £20/$30/€20 respectively - other banks are likely similar.

Some banks do charge, others like the Co-op on Guernsey do not.