Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nothing in Common Anymore

Nothing in Common Anymore

Old Aug 24th 2010, 11:43 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nothing in Common Anymore

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
By the time you're my age* you might rediscover the connection.

more like it
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
more like it
Now you're in big trouble - you know rule number 223G, Subsection 4, part III, Commandment Seven, now, don't you ("Thou Shalt Not Alter a Quote")?

I give it 10 minutes before the mods come and give you a good spanking (Ooh, Betty).
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
more like it
Scary to think you're right.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I hated school, every bit of it! I was never in the same one longer than 2 yrs. All the friends I still keep in touch with in the UK, I met through the jobs I had after school, have at least four that I have known for over 20 yrs and we still chat regularly and visit when we can
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

I don't keep in touch with anyone from school...or really from anyone from my past which is why I suppose the move to the US was much easier for me and the things others seem to miss about the UK (friends and family wise) I won't give a second thought to. It's not that I don't have friends (I do, honest) just that I've never felt the need to have people constantly in my life. I suppose I speak to my Dad once every couple of months or so, my brother and his wife (who was my best friend at college) I haven't spoken too at all the last few months as they've also moved and have no internet access. I haven't even told my mother I've moved here (but that's a long story).
Lots of people have said they'll come over but I doubt they will, as much as I enthuse about the PNW I can see they thinking "but it's not NY/Florida/other touristy place".
My in-laws are hoping to treat our place as a second holiday home and are currently planning three trips over here "to see the grandkids" with various East Coast stop offs to feed their nicotine habits. This is really pissing me off. These are the same people who wouldn't have the kids overnight when we had an 8:30am visa appointment (in fact have babysat less than 10 times in 14 years) but are now ringing every other day and never bloody off Skype (if I forget to close it down). Bah bleedin' humbug

Apart from that I'm loving it here
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Lots of people have said they'll come over but I doubt they will, as much as I enthuse about the PNW I can see they thinking "but it's not NY/Florida/other touristy place".

My in-laws are hoping to treat our place as a second holiday home and are currently planning three trips over here "to see the grandkids" with various East Coast stop offs to feed their nicotine habits. This is really pissing me off. These are the same people who wouldn't have the kids overnight when we had an 8:30am visa appointment (in fact have babysat less than 10 times in 14 years) but are now ringing every other day and never bloody off Skype (if I forget to close it down).
It will get old soon enough....we've been here almost 6 years and things are tapering off....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:06 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

People obsessed with meeting up with people from the past send cold shivers down my spine.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by AmerLisa

It will get old soon enough....we've been here almost 6 years and things are tapering off....
6 years...I'll be banging on the door of 50 then

Honestly though...1st trip they're going to Niagara Falls (that's near us isn't it? Canada? )
Second trip, via 5 days in New York. They might drive from NY to WA as they'll be able to smoke as much as they like on the way. Not in any rental I've seen.
Third trip they're going to sail/cruise across and then drive if it was ok last time if not they'll fly.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

6 years...I'll be banging on the door of 50 then

Honestly though...1st trip they're going to Niagara Falls (that's near us isn't it? Canada? )
Second trip, via 5 days in New York. They might drive from NY to WA as they'll be able to smoke as much as they like on the way. Not in any rental I've seen.
Third trip they're going to sail/cruise across and then drive if it was ok last time if not they'll fly.
Well at least your in-laws will drive once over here.... My MIL won't drive, so guess who is the taxi driver? And guess who conveniently has to work at least a week of her stay? We've done every conceivable touristy thing over here....sigh. She didn't come this year (she only comes on my vacation time off....) she had a better offer coming up from her daughter who lives in Hong Kong.

My in-laws are divorced, so we only see my MIL. Although FIL did come once with his American wife, that was interesting.....
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
People obsessed with meeting up with people from the past send cold shivers down my spine.
I know what you mean, but then again sometimes it's nice- my Mum still travels to meet up with 3 other old school friends a few times a year, they have all been supportive of eachother through thick and thin for over 60 years.

How was your sabbatical?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Thank god. I thought I was the only Scrooge around.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think we're in the majority
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I know what you mean, but then again sometimes it's nice- my Mum still travels to meet up with 3 other old school friends a few times a year, they have all been supportive of eachother through thick and thin for over 60 years.

How was your sabbatical?
I still have some friends from way way back. It's just the whole Facebook stalking and internet searching for somebody (ANYBODY!!) from the past that gives me the heaves.

My sabbatical was quite foggy (actually it was my head that was foggy which necessitated the sabbatical) but I think the clouds are parting a little now. Thanks for asking
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:13 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by meauxna
It all just smacks of "needs badly to move on" to me.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're in the majority
Well it's this creepy Facebook/Classmates phenom now. The most distant, random people pop up where least expected. And this is such a small town, only two degrees of separation.
A woman popped up in the FB post of someone I know from the neighborhood. Like, barely know. But the new name was SO familiar, I clicked through. Sure enough, I worked with this woman in 1982 (she looks exactly the same!) and I just found a photo of her in my stash last night. Now I have the dilemma of whether or not to be in touch, but I don't have anything to say to her! (except, here's a photo of you from a million years ago where you look the same as today minus the tattoos)

Ex-boyfriends. Ex-girlfriends. Lifetimes ago. Isn't there a good reason we never stayed in touch? Or, if we'd had the technology, we'd still be fast friends? I dunno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.