Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not working due to the shutdown, was advised to claim unemployment.

Not working due to the shutdown, was advised to claim unemployment.

Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Not working due to the shutdown, was advised to claim unemployment.

Hey everyone, I hope you're all keeping well in these trying times.
Like many people I am not working due to the shut down but have not been laid off. I just rang my HR rep because I haven't heard anything from work since this all kicked off. Turns out I've not been recieving any emails from them for whatever reason but whatever, that's been rectified now. She told me I should claim unemployment as that's what most people are doing at the company I work for.

I'm worried that I may have issues with this. my understanding of how unemployment works is that, anything I claim, my ex wife that signed an affidavit of support for me will foot the bill?

Not sure what else to include information wise, other than I have been at this company for two years. oh and I live in California.

Thanks for any help. I'm a little confused and stressed by all this.

Last edited by cheradenine; Apr 1st 2020 at 9:03 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not working due to the shutdown, was advised to claim unemployment.

If you are eligible to get unemployment benefits, then you can. It's not a means tested benefit so does not affect the I-864. However, if you haven't really been laid off, then you might not qualify. You need to actually be unemployed (unless they are doing something special during this COVID thing).

Rene
Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

cheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond reputecheradenine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are eligible to get unemployment benefits, then you can. It's not a means tested benefit so does not affect the I-864. However, if you haven't really been laid off, then you might not qualify. You need to actually be unemployed (unless they are doing something special during this COVID thing).

Rene
Thank you Noorah. I haven't officially been laid off but was told to by the HR woman to claim unemployment as that's what everyone else is doing at work, or most of them.
If you're not working and not getting paid isn't that just as good as being unemployed?

I just found this website: https://www.californiaemploymentlawr...o-coronavirus/Filing for Unemployment Insurance

If an employer reduces hours or shut down operations due to coronavirus, employers can encourage employees to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. The EDD’s website provides, “Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able, available, and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria.” For more information, see: https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/Filing_a_Claim.htm

Maybe things have changed a little due to the circumstances?
thanks for your help!

Last edited by cheradenine; Apr 1st 2020 at 9:21 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheradenine
Thank you Noorah. I haven't officially been laid off but was told to by the HR woman to claim unemployment as that's what everyone else is doing at work, or most of them.
If you're not working and not getting paid isn't that just as good as being unemployed?

thanks for your help!

Here is the info for California. Doesn't seem you need to be officially laid off, but if your not working or your company had to shut down operations they say to apply.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...htm#UIBenefits

"Are benefits available if my employer reduces my hours or shuts down operations due to impacts of the coronavirus?If your employer reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you are encouraged to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able, available, and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria."

Old Apr 1st 2020, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Here is the info for California. Doesn't seem you need to be officially laid off, but if your not working or your company had to shut down operations they say to apply.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/cor...htm#UIBenefits

"Are benefits available if my employer reduces my hours or shuts down operations due to impacts of the coronavirus?If your employer reduced your hours or shut down operations due to COVID-19, you are encouraged to file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim. UI provides partial wage replacement benefit payments to workers who lose their job or have their hours reduced, through no fault of their own. Workers who are temporarily unemployed due to COVID-19 and expected to return to work with their employer within a few weeks are not required to actively seek work each week. However, they must remain able, available, and ready to work during their unemployment for each week of benefits claimed and meet all other eligibility criteria."
I just found something similar, thanks for your help Jsmth!
Old Apr 1st 2020, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute

They relaxed the requirements because of coronavirus. Definitely apply ASAP so they can start processing your claim - unemployment offices are very overloaded right now. Your base benefit will be about 45% of your wage, up to a maximum of $450 per week. In addition to that you'll get $600 per week from the federal coronavirus relief bill once that's fully implemented.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ss120396
They relaxed the requirements because of coronavirus. Definitely apply ASAP so they can start processing your claim - unemployment offices are very overloaded right now. Your base benefit will be about 45% of your wage, up to a maximum of $450 per week. In addition to that you'll get $600 per week from the federal coronavirus relief bill once that's fully implemented.
Thanks for your input. I just finished filling out the forms online, I guess I'll have to submit a resume to them as well? seems like it's a requirement.