Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

not want to waitting for 3 years, can I apply F1 visa after married with an american?

not want to waitting for 3 years, can I apply F1 visa after married with an american?

Old Aug 21st 2002, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

blue_chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default not want to waitting for 3 years, can I apply F1 visa after married with an american?

Hi there,

One question want your helpy,

My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three year and then go to the States. That's a long time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my homeland, Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too bad.... So I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this way I can go to US in a short time.

But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application, coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...

So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Thanks for your kind reply!!

[email protected]
Old Aug 21st 2002, 7:00 pm
Mrtrave;

Default Re: not want to waitting for 3 years, can I apply F1 visa after married

blue_chris wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > One question want your helpy,
    > My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married
    > with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three
    > year and then go to the States.

3 years?? According to the Sept Visa Bulletin, 1st Preference family members are at a
priority date of April 1, 1997.. This is 5 1/2 years. So, if will take about 6 years
total to get a green card holder's spouse a visa.

That's a long
    > time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my homeland,
    > Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too bad.... So
    > I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this
    > way I can go to US in a short time.
    > But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got
    > married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application,
    > coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger
    > married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the
    > most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...

Right on both accounts. If you are married or have a fiance, you have to tell the
consulate. Failure to tell them could cause major problems. However, if you are not
"really" engaged, then you could come in and get engaged and married.

> So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short
    > time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Sorry, if you can't get a non-immigrant visa, the process will take 6 years, not 3.
Do you have any skills that might get you an H1B? I think that might be harder now
then it was in the past since, there are a lot of high tech ciitzens out of work.
While I don't think there are enough "qualified" ones to fill the positions
available, I know others disagree. However, I have interviewed quite a few applicants
that I would only hire out of desperation. We are not that desperate.

Old Aug 22nd 2002, 3:40 am
Just Joined

blue_chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to Mrtrave,Re: not want to waitting for 3 years, can I apply F1 visa after married

Thanks for your message.

I still have a question that, if we get marriged and I go to apply for the F1 visa, will the visa officer tell me I have no right to apply for it by then since I had already married with an american, and suggest me to wait for those serveral years?

Originally posted by Mrtrave;:
blue_chris wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > One question want your helpy,
    > My boyfriend got his green card this month, so he can go back home and get married
    > with me, but due to the US immigration law, greedcard's wife have to wait for three
    > year and then go to the States.

3 years?? According to the Sept Visa Bulletin, 1st Preference family members are at a
priority date of April 1, 1997.. This is 5 1/2 years. So, if will take about 6 years
total to get a green card holder's spouse a visa.

That's a long
    > time for us. And since any kind of visa is difficult to get in my homeland,
    > Shanghai, China. it might be difficult for us to see offten, this is too bad.... So
    > I am thinking of getting married first and then applying F1 visa by myself, by this
    > way I can go to US in a short time.
    > But I am not sure whether it is a good way for us, some people said if we got
    > married before the F1 visa interview, it will have a bad effect on the application,
    > coz visa officer will treat we with immigration intention. But if we didn't ger
    > married, VO will still think i have immigration intention. F1 visa in China is the
    > most difficult one to get, so many students are rejected every day...

Right on both accounts. If you are married or have a fiance, you have to tell the
consulate. Failure to tell them could cause major problems. However, if you are not
"really" engaged, then you could come in and get engaged and married.

> So what can we do then? Does this mean we have no way to be together in a short
    > time, and have to waitting for long long three years? Who can tell me...

Sorry, if you can't get a non-immigrant visa, the process will take 6 years, not 3.
Do you have any skills that might get you an H1B? I think that might be harder now
then it was in the past since, there are a lot of high tech ciitzens out of work.
While I don't think there are enough "qualified" ones to fill the positions
available, I know others disagree. However, I have interviewed quite a few applicants
that I would only hire out of desperation. We are not that desperate.