Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

not used to all these bugs!

not used to all these bugs!

Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not used to all these bugs!

Originally Posted by Bill_S
The only thing that really works... pure DEET... takes the paint off the bottle. I'm not sure you can buy it anymore
eww.. I used to use REI's Jungle Juice (99% DEET) in Central America.. until I dripped some on the lino floor and it melted the flooring...

Jersey: I make my own spray with eucalyptus oil.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:15 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I got utterly savaged by green-head flies on a CT beach on Saturday. Murderous little bastards. I now have sodding great itchy red welts all over my feet and legs, with a few more to boot on my back, arms and hands. I managed to kill 6 of the little shits but I have to say they played the long game, and won. :curse:
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
So what happened?!
I've been wanting to see what others think about my theory, but I haven't had time to look up the proper names etc.
I think there are two classes of mosquito breeds. While I'm really allergic to all the bites, I'm acclimatised/inoculated to the ones on this side of the pond (incl Central America/Mexico etc).
BUT, the mosquitoes in Greece.. omg, the bites I'd get would react just like you say.. the ones my dad got got *huge* and so painful looking.. really dramatic reaction.

So I guess I want to know.. do any of you find that you react really differently to mosquito bites in the US vs UK/Europe? Are the mosquitoes in the UK another breed again from the A. Egypti? Oh good lord.. there are 50 mosquito species found in Massachusetts?! Maybe I don't want to know...
On our jollies in Mexico recently I didn't get bitten once and I'm usually a bloody magnet for mozzie bites, which swell and look like the dreaded lurgy. My husband wasn't so lucky, he got 47 mozzie bites, all of which turned into enormous sores. Kids only had a couple of bites each.
My mother lived in Greece for several years and I would always get mozzied there, no sprays etc worked I just had to put up with it. I'd get about 10 just running the gauntlet from plane to airport and airport to taxi.
Worse things though in Greece were the horseflies. Christ but those buggers hurt when they bite (along with the obligatory big swollen mark left behind).
Old Jun 30th 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Tartlette... why do you believe one thing he posts...
I don't know! I guess I'm still learning!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

eww.. I used to use REI's Jungle Juice (99% DEET) in Central America.. until I dripped some on the lino floor and it melted the flooring...
That's the stuff!
Old Jun 30th 2010, 1:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Me and the little one use, wait for it....

...All Terrain Bug Armour

http://www.amazon.com/All-Terrain-He.../dp/B002LMI3W2

It works, you can see the bugs coming in and then backing off.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
My husband wasn't so lucky, he got 47 mozzie bites, all of which turned into enormous sores.
Chemically speaking, mosquito bites are alkaline - so in order to neutralize them, you need to add acid. Vinegar works wonders. It may sting for a moment, but relief is almost instantaneous and long-lasting.

Ian
Old Jun 30th 2010, 4:30 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Chemically speaking, mosquito bites are alkaline - so in order to neutralize them, you need to add acid. Vinegar works wonders. It may sting for a moment, but relief is almost instantaneous and long-lasting.

Ian
I use pure ammonia sticks!

OT question, Ian: Why has your avatar been dog-napped?
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I use pure ammonia sticks!

Drives me crazy...I keep thinking it's Ian.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funkybubbles
Hi
ok so what bugs/creatures am I likely to run into in CA- Sunnyvale area/
Ask what bugs you won't likey run into the list might be shorter.

Last year when we were in Las Vegas we were walking down the strip and stopped in a side street (not an alley, just smaller side street) so we could look at a map. There was a planter with a brick wall around it, as we had stopped for a min I sat down on the wall... there was probably 50 or more cockroaches that scurried way, I literally screamed like a 3 year old. In Michigan you are seen as dirty if you have roaches, on the west coast I guess they are a part of life.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
If only!
In theory it sounds right, it just never works for me.. I've tried everything!

I like the sound of the All Terrain Bug Armour....
But the itch after the bite? Oy! I even have this gizmo a tourist gave me in Greece. You press it on the bite and it gives you a little electric shock. Bliss, for just a moment... then ITCH ITCH ITCH.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 8:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Ask what bugs you won't likey run into the list might be shorter.

Last year when we were in Las Vegas we were walking down the strip and stopped in a side street (not an alley, just smaller side street) so we could look at a map. There was a planter with a brick wall around it, as we had stopped for a min I sat down on the wall... there was probably 50 or more cockroaches that scurried way, I literally screamed like a 3 year old. In Michigan you are seen as dirty if you have roaches, on the west coast I guess they are a part of life.
I think roaches and large bugs are a part of life anywhere with a hot climate...that's what is putting me off living in Florida, Carolinas, Georgia etc.

If only!
In theory it sounds right, it just never works for me.. I've tried everything!

I like the sound of the All Terrain Bug Armour....
But the itch after the bite? Oy! I even have this gizmo a tourist gave me in Greece. You press it on the bite and it gives you a little electric shock. Bliss, for just a moment... then ITCH ITCH ITCH.
Vinegar doesn't work for me either. The problem with sprays and creams is if I miss a little bit of skin...they'll get me there. I've been bitten on my toes and even under my arm when I was sunbathing...that's why I prefer a fan type of repellent. I don't think I have ever been bitten whilst using it. We're taking a trip to Ontario's cottage country this weekend which is notorious for mozzies and black fly...I'll report back on Monday.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 1:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
What can I say? I think Nettie has Ian-envy!

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

Thanks Ray
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by funkybubbles
Hi
ok so what bugs/creatures am I likely to run into in CA- Sunnyvale area/
Different ones from Australia as per your other post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.