Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

not used to all these bugs!

not used to all these bugs!

Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:40 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not used to all these bugs!

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US
And if they bite you, you become Spiderman! Coool!
You need some radiation for that, I thought?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
You need some radiation for that, I thought?
Just tested my ability to shoot a sticky web! It would appear not.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Va too - and the bugs are gross. How safe is the spray that you use indoors - I want to spray my bedrooms, but am worried in case its harmful to us if we breathe it in. Any advice?
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty harmful to the bugs, apparently.

At one house in Atlanta, I unleashed more chemicals into the environment than Union Carbide and Dom Deluise combined.
Dozens of cans of Raid(TM). And the black cans, to boot.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:15 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is only enhancing my love of the PNW!!!!!! keeping it cool and rainy and bugs at bay!

Last edited by Burn1911; Jun 15th 2010 at 9:15 pm. Reason: spelling :)
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katybluewater
I live in Va too - and the bugs are gross. How safe is the spray that you use indoors - I want to spray my bedrooms, but am worried in case its harmful to us if we breathe it in. Any advice?
its mostly a nerve agent ... not good for humans

lets the kids try it first
Old Jun 15th 2010, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Don't kill the spiders! They're your friends.
If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Bookem will become famous soon enough

I recently bought a one and a half gallon pump up pressurised sprayer from a harbor freight tools for about $10. I filled this with a gallon of bug killer that I bought at my local hardware store. I went right the way around the house liberally spraying the bug killer. A couple weeks later I did it again and I have really noticed far fewer bugs in the house.
Last year I did the same thing with one of those cheap hand operated pumps which by the time I got around the house really hurt my hand a lot. The pump up pressurized sprayer was worth every penny.
If you do this and still have trouble with bugs it might be time to call the Orkin man.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burn1911
This thread is only enhancing my love of the PNW!!!!!! keeping it cool and rainy and bugs at bay!
On my trip there last week I was told one story how when the home owner brought in their newly cut down Xmas tree and how an enormous spider ran out of it in the house as soon as they got it in.
I'll be buying an artificial tree when I get there I think.
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:25 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
On my trip there last week I was told one story how when the home owner brought in their newly cut down Xmas tree and how an enormous spider ran out of it in the house as soon as they got it in.
I'll be buying an artificial tree when I get there I think.
I expect that was the spider of Christmas's past
Old Jun 16th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

well since i can kinda ignore the spiders i guess i'll just leave the whole lot! since a few have moved back in i've noticed less flying things...i don't wanna screen it because i'm on the bottom floor of an apartment block and it leads straight out to the grass, which is nice for the puppy! i guess i'll just deal with it!
Old Jun 16th 2010, 9:47 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Doesn't help... I pretty much live in the concrete jungle and I still get bugs. I am thinking of showering in Off every, I am so sick of the skeeter bites, I reacte so badly to them
Its yer english flesh...I have the same problem...I'm obviously way too tasty..
Old Jun 17th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Made me laugh J., 'cause last time I was in Va. I was doing lots of gardening and told M. he'd have to educate me on what are good bugs -v- bad bugs. It's the mozzies and noseeum's that get me and I get big allergic rashes so spray etc. is essential.

Other than that, well I'm trying to learn to embrace the natural diversity. Cicadas are hella ugly but harmless, Fireflies pretty both by day and night, Praying Mantis(or is that Manti!?) are geeky and harmless, yellow/golden orbs ..... wow, some HUGE mega super spiders fascinate me but wouldn't want to get close. All new, different and interesting but luckily M. is a great bug hunter (his trick is use big wadge (wadge being a technical term) of packing take, creep up and pounce sticky to offending bug, squidge wadge, deposit in trash - his sticky wadge (no snickering Ray!!) method seems to keep the house bug free!!
Old Jun 17th 2010, 12:37 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Just a whimsical note regarding the relationship between bugs and children...

I bought a small (10 gall) aquarium tank, lined it with sphagnum moss and whacked in a selection of carnivorous plants. No longer do the kids see a bug in the house as a threat, but as food for [removed]. A bug is not so scary when you understand it is really just plant food!

Possible future bonus in that the purple pitcher is thriving and growing large and could possibly provide a solution to next door's cat....

Last edited by celticgrid; Jun 17th 2010 at 12:38 pm. Reason: [removed] - I suspect you dont't really want to know all the names that have been given to the plants!.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Made me laugh J., 'cause last time I was in Va. I was doing lots of gardening and told M. he'd have to educate me on what are good bugs -v- bad bugs. It's the mozzies and noseeum's that get me and I get big allergic rashes so spray etc. is essential.

Other than that, well I'm trying to learn to embrace the natural diversity. Cicadas are hella ugly but harmless, Fireflies pretty both by day and night, Praying Mantis(or is that Manti!?) are geeky and harmless, yellow/golden orbs ..... wow, some HUGE mega super spiders fascinate me but wouldn't want to get close. All new, different and interesting but luckily M. is a great bug hunter (his trick is use big wadge (wadge being a technical term) of packing take, creep up and pounce sticky to offending bug, squidge wadge, deposit in trash - his sticky wadge (no snickering Ray!!) method seems to keep the house bug free!!
I'm a massive girl when it comes to bugs, i run away screaming! even when i know they are harmless. we went on a lot of hikes when we first got into town and the biggest part for me to get over was having flies around me most of the day, and weird things in the grass making noise! are there any bugs in VA that are likely to harm me? other than wasps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.