Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:50 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Originally Posted by Dufus

I am a relatively senior IT Director if that helps..... Not that it seems to be helping me much.

So, given that i did not move over to be with my spouse etc, etc - what would you do ?

Thanks guys.
My wife and I have a friend who is also a "Senior IT director" type. He works in Boston MA and commutes back to Boca Raton to spend the weekends with his wife. One has to assume he is on a very high salary.

When we moved to Fort Myers I completely switched career paths because I could not get an IT job here.

My annual visit to North Staffs is quite enough, I would completely switch career paths yet again to remain here. Beautiful Scenery and old friends do not a lifestyle make.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:12 am
Just Joined

americangirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to New York City! Honestly, it is incredibly more difficult landing a job quickly outside of a big city...Yes, you probably consider Miami a major city..but if you really want to stay in the US, it *may* require a move.. definitely a slower pace down there, but at least you wont get skin cancer from time at the beach! If you are set on staying down there, have you gotten in touch with headhunters in your field? The fact that you are a higher level may prove to be more difficult finding something quick, but you should get in touch with a headhunter to have someone else working on this for you as well ~

GOOD LUCK
Old Aug 21st 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I've just moved back to NC from Redmond WA just outside Seattle, where the agencies are absolutely desperate for IT people to fill the vacancies they've got. Average consulting rates are 75-85 per hour.

It's a bit expensive for family types to settle but maybe a trip to the Pacific North West for six months of contracting might be an option for you, change of scenery, climate etc.

By the time you get back to Florida you'll have had enough rain to last you the next five years!!