Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:39 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

Hi there, as a brief summary I transferred from the UK office of a software company to the US office in June 2003. I transferred to Coral Gables - so Miami really. Then in Feb 2005 i was made redundant. Not so great but hey ho.

Trouble is finding a new job is not proving at all easy. Am making some progress but still nothing sorted as yet.

The main question I have is whether I am crazy to be putting myself through this when I can get a job paying much, much more in London. And, before anyone says it, Coral Gables is no cheaper than London to live in - including buying a house.

I worked very hard to get the GreenCard - but now, am asking myself whether i should just go back to the UK. Am a feeling homesick ? maybe a little, do i miss family and friends - maybe a little. But i just can't believe the difference in salaries between here and the UK. It might be a Florida thing.

Car insurance, house insurance, electricity costs are insane too - am just thinking that life could be simpler and more financially beneficial.

Have been offered some contracting work in London, so might go and do that and then come back.

I am a relatively senior IT Director if that helps..... Not that it seems to be helping me much.

So, given that i did not move over to be with my spouse etc, etc - what would you do ?

Thanks guys.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure whether to forget about the GreenCard and go "home"

who says you have to live in Coral Gables??

big wide country out there mate. take a few to mooch about and see what's on offer out and about the rest of this place.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 3:45 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Originally Posted by Manc
who says you have to live in Coral Gables??

big wide country out there mate. take a few to mooch about and see what's on offer out and about the rest of this place.
True, and i have thought about that and am still thinking about it.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:01 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dufus
True, and i have thought about that and am still thinking about it.

Cheers
We have been where you are....just got our greencards then losing the job.......lucky enough hubby got his job back....also keeping his lay off package........which was cool.......I don't think we would be in the USA now if he'd not been taken back on.....jobs in Telcoms were nowhere to be seen 2 years ago......I would look around more if you can afford to do that.......things seem to be picking up.......move out of State......try AZ......
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:06 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Originally Posted by krizzy
We have been where you are....just got our greencards then losing the job.......lucky enough hubby got his job back....also keeping his lay off package........which was cool.......I don't think we would be in the USA now if he'd not been taken back on.....jobs in Telcoms were nowhere to be seen 2 years ago......I would look around more if you can afford to do that.......things seem to be picking up.......move out of State......try AZ......
Hi there,

problem is, I really like Miami, that is how come i accepted the transfer in the first place. Feels a bit like blind leap of faith moving somewhere else, atleast i know the deal with the UK.

Have bought a house here, so will keep some ties to the place until March atleast - otherwise will be hit for Capital Gains.

Contracting in the UK, might help scratch the itch.

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:50 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

problem is, I really like Miami, that is how come i accepted the transfer in the first place. Feels a bit like blind leap of faith moving somewhere else, atleast i know the deal with the UK.

Have bought a house here, so will keep some ties to the place until March atleast - otherwise will be hit for Capital Gains.

Thanks
I know how you feel about liking a place......and not wanting to leave....we felt like that about the Cape........its nearly crime free....clean.......friendly.....so when we looked to move out of State......we looked at FL.....cheaper to live......we could buy a home outright at the time.....we had good friends there..........I'd love to move to FL full time tomorrow.. ....maybe you could find a job in a different state rent out your home.....and rent a place where you are working.....I think you should give somewhere else in the USA a go before going back......
Old Aug 15th 2005, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
Have you got the greencard yet? If you have, going back to Blighty for a spell would let you really test the waters before you jump.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

try AZ......
AZ's full, I'm afraid! No room at the inn and all that...
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:12 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Have you got the greencard yet? If you have, going back to Blighty for a spell would let you really test the waters before you jump.
Yes, had the GreenCard since June 2003.

I think going back might be what i need to do, maybe just for a short time, I have not been back for about 18 months and it might just be that i need a reminder.

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:13 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

I know how you feel about liking a place......and not wanting to leave....we felt like that about the Cape........its nearly crime free....clean.......friendly.....so when we looked to move out of State......we looked at FL.....cheaper to live......we could buy a home outright at the time.....we had good friends there..........I'd love to move to FL full time tomorrow.. ....maybe you could find a job in a different state rent out your home.....and rent a place where you are working.....I think you should give somewhere else in the USA a go before going back......
Renting the house out should not be too hard.

shame I chose about the most expensive place in Florida to buy.....

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
AZ's full, I'm afraid! No room at the inn and all that...

but it can't be I ain't got there yet
Old Aug 15th 2005, 5:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
but it can't be I ain't got there yet

Hi! How's your app going? Hear London consulate has two speeds at mo: dead slow and stop!

<sorry about hijacking thread, Dufus >
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:53 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Originally Posted by fatbrit
<sorry about hijacking thread, Dufus >
No probs. Hijack away

I guess my situation is a little different to a lot who come to Florida or want to as I was transferred and now my reason for being here is gone, so is all a bit up in the air.

Oh well, can think of worse places to be. Just slight inequality with cost of living -v- salaries.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:01 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dufus . Sorry to hear about your redundancy....that really sucks as I know how hard you worked to get out there and how excited you were. How about taking a 3 month holiday and going home for a bit? You wouldn't jeopardize your green card with a few months out in the UK as long as you weren't away for too long. Maybe you could even do a bit of contracting work just for a few months and then decide if you want to come back. That way you'd have a bit of money to live on too, and if you could rent your house out in Miami you'd be all set. I think your problem is probably homesickness but if you went back you might remember why you wanted to move to Miami in the first place. If you just pack up and go home and find you've made the wrong decision then you're in a bit of a pickle. Go home and take a break with the intention of coming back. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:14 pm
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Hi Dufus . Sorry to hear about your redundancy....that really sucks as I know how hard you worked to get out there and how excited you were. How about taking a 3 month holiday and going home for a bit? You wouldn't jeopardize your green card with a few months out in the UK as long as you weren't away for too long. Maybe you could even do a bit of contracting work just for a few months and then decide if you want to come back. That way you'd have a bit of money to live on too, and if you could rent your house out in Miami you'd be all set. I think your problem is probably homesickness but if you went back you might remember why you wanted to move to Miami in the first place. If you just pack up and go home and find you've made the wrong decision then you're in a bit of a pickle. Go home and take a break with the intention of coming back. Good luck whatever you decide.
Cheers, thanks for that.

I think i am just feeling a bit glum when i look at salaries here and salaries back in London.

I am sure you are right, and a little while in London would remind me why I like it in Miami so much.

We'll see i guesss.

Cheers, and buy you a drink sometime

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.