Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

Old Jun 8th 2009, 11:45 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure if I can Deal with the American Dream much longer

This will cheer you up (warning it's 6 minutes long)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJuNgBkloFE
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:29 am
UNFORGIVABLE

YoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of lightYoungSteve17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
Get off of your high horse a** wipe.
I'm not looking down on anybody.
Haven't you got some fast food to be eating or something ?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We were talking about the British Empire and the partition of India with an American at the weekend. "So was that to keep the Christians and Muslims apart?"

Not saying that's typical.
That's modern politics being badly translated and overlayed onto past events... Hollywood does that a lot.

My own personal favorite was a guy in England with whom I was having a conversation about America and he said
Isn't it funny how many towns and cities in England are named after American towns and cities?
...and he meant it. We changed the subject.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by CitySimon
That's modern politics being badly translated and overlayed onto past events... Hollywood does that a lot.

My own personal favorite was a guy in England with whom I was having a conversation about America and he said

...and he meant it. We changed the subject.
I think he may have been proud to know it was the other way round.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Thats funny Lisa, I normally wait till I have had a few glasses and shout agreement with Bill Maher on Fridays, tonight I have been screaming expletives at the TV all evening.

Thanks everyone for kind words, this is the first time I have seriously considered therapy or medication
I think you seriously need to move to Northern California! To say it's different from Florida would be a bit of an understatement!

Bill Maher is my favorite guy on TV, and he sounds like just about everyone I know in the Bay Area. I just drove 11 hours from SF to Phoenix and I passed the time listening to 6 podcasts of his shows (I've been too busy to watch his show recently; the podcasts are available for free).

As for July 4th - it's a day off with free fireworks ... that's all you need to think about!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

notacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond reputenotacrime has a reputation beyond repute

July 4th is my wife's birthday, so we have reasons other than independence to celebrate.

When America fought for it's independence Britain was a very different place than it is now. The war of independence was a war over ideals, the core ideal being self-determination, (ie. democracy.)

So if you want to disarm someone who is talking about how they 'spanked the english' or whatever just tell them that you think the ideals which the revolutionaries fought for were just, that the right side won, but that you wish modern day America would live up to them more fully.

Also, King George III was German and the Americans would never have won without help from the French. Freedom fries anyone?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Get drunk and learn to throw a spiral better than the locals, that pisses them off, plus it's a piece of piss
If only I could!!!

What is the secret to it? I pick up most things fairly quickly but I cannot get the hang of throwing a spiral. My (American) wife who isn't very sporty does it without thinking about it - perfect spirals. Bugs the hell out of me!!

Me? All wobbles and twists.

Any tips?
Old Jun 9th 2009, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notacrime

When America fought for it's independence Britain was a very different place than it is now. The war of independence was a war over ideals, the core ideal being self-determination, (ie. democracy.)

So if you want to disarm someone who is talking about how they 'spanked the english' or whatever just tell them that you think the ideals which the revolutionaries fought for were just, that the right side won, but that you wish modern day America would live up to them more fully.

Awesome point ... perfect response ... I only wish I knew some rednecks who would seriously give me shit about July 4th so I could use it, but alas all the 'Americans' I know wholly agree with you so it would be a moot point ... which is why I love living in California ...
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:14 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think you seriously need to move to Northern California! To say it's different from Florida would be a bit of an understatement!

Bill Maher is my favorite guy on TV, and he sounds like just about everyone I know in the Bay Area. I just drove 11 hours from SF to Phoenix and I passed the time listening to 6 podcasts of his shows (I've been too busy to watch his show recently; the podcasts are available for free).

As for July 4th - it's a day off with free fireworks ... that's all you need to think about!
I subscribe to HBO almost purely for Bill Maher, when I discovered him I realised I was not alone!
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
If only I could!!!

What is the secret to it? I pick up most things fairly quickly but I cannot get the hang of throwing a spiral. My (American) wife who isn't very sporty does it without thinking about it - perfect spirals. Bugs the hell out of me!!

Any tips?
If you can throw a rugby ball, it's the same idea, just extend your arm back, past your ear and flick the wrist going past your ear, gripping along the stitched seam helps snap out the spiral...
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I subscribe to HBO almost purely for Bill Maher, when I discovered him I realised I was not alone!
Well if ever you go broke, you can download the audio podcasts for free! It works well as a show in audio form only. I have all this year's shows recorded so some day I can actually see what the folks look like!

I presume you also have 'comedy channel', so you can see the Daily Show and the Colbert Report? They keep me going during the week until I can get my dose of Bill Maher.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:45 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

7 years in and I still feel like david attenborough studying these strange americans sometimes. I make the bets of things by not watching US TV news or any political 'talk' shows. I stay up to date with the BBC and certain websites. Other than that, I make the best of whats around, and cheer on the good guys (they do exist!).
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:54 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
If only I could!!!

Any tips?
Aye - start off with a Junior or 3/4 size ball. Once you've got that down, move up to a full size one.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Thats funny Lisa, I normally wait till I have had a few glasses and shout agreement with Bill Maher on Fridays, tonight I have been screaming expletives at the TV all evening.

Thanks everyone for kind words, this is the first time I have seriously considered therapy or medication

I totally understand your frustrations LOL. Just be yourself and don't change for anyone. I had to laugh today, I was at Seaworld with my kids and I made a joke with a chappy sat next to me and he just didn't get it. My kids were laughing like crazy as it's a running joke in our family that whenever I speak to an american, even after nearly 5 years here, they still don't get my humor or even understand me. Hell, I don't care, I'm off home in October with my family for good.yesssssssss!

I wish you luck, Florida peeps are a challenge for sure. brain dead vegetables
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoungSteve17
Let it all out. Don't feel bad about venting.

And since you at it, i might as well get stuck in as well !! These are the things that have been pissing me off lately...

The dry sense of humor. I cant stand it. Every time i make a joke at work its all, "Oh Steve you too sassy" blah blah blah. I absolutely hate that word now *SASS*

2. I don't know how many times i have seen people with the Scottish, Irish and German license plate flags on their cars, acting like they actually know anything about those country's. I bet most of those people couldn't even locate them on a map but still they are so proud that their x10 great uncle's sister came from there.

I couldn't imagine myself living over here for 20 + years like some have.
#2- That gets on my nerves too. I remember when I first moved here someone told me they were 'Polish'. I asked him where he was born. He said something like, Scranton, NJ. I asked him when he lived in Poland. He told me he had never been there. He didn't even speak Polish. WTF? How can you claim to be that nationality without EVER having set foot in the country! Just weird and stupid IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.