Not Sure

Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough
Default Not Sure

Hi everyone well after Living in the US for 8 years me and my USC wife moved to UK on a spousal visa. I must say have found it a lot harder than I thought and am wondering if We did the right thing like first I miss being able to just get in my car and driveing for miles for $30 where here it get's me from sussex to london and back we lived in mass for 7 years and Florida for one we sold everything and are just getting the basic's shipped back here to uk I did not get a rentry permit before I left and still have my green card I am starting to think maybe come january if we are still dfinding things are no better moveing back and liveing with wife's family till we get an apartment of our own we have left enough in our bank account to survive for over a year wonder if anyone else has felt this way
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Sure

What I have felt is a need for punctuation
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like you have only been gone a few weeks so moving back fairly soonish and they are unlikely to know you actually intended a permanent move.

January should not be an issue.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:20 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

FortunatelyEnglishisnotlikemywifesnativelanguagewh ichhasneitherpunctuationnoraspacebetweenwords.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by civilservant
What I have felt is a need for punctuation
Old Nov 6th 2012, 9:59 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Your Green Card will be valid for 6 months after you leave the US. If you re-enter the US within 6 months than things should be ok. If 6-12 months away, you'll need to provide proof that you didn't intend to leave, such as you continued to pay rent or have bank accounts and bills in the USA. Some people do what is know as "tapping up" by flying back after five months to reset the clock, if that's something you can consider.

What you are going through is totally normal. You're comparing some of the best bits you liked about the US to the current, slightly complicated and a tad confusing reality in the UK that might be a bit more negative. As you spend a few more months over you'll discover the things you like about living there and remember some of the things you don't like about the US.

You should check back our Moving Back to the UK forum. There are plenty of people in the same boat as you, some who get through this rough adjustment period, some who decide to "ping pong" back.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
Hi everyone well after Living in the US for 8 years me and my USC wife moved to UK on a spousal visa. I must say have found it a lot harder than I thought and am wondering if We did the right thing like first I miss being able to just get in my car and driveing for miles for $30 where here it get's me from sussex to london and back we lived in mass for 7 years and Florida for one we sold everything and are just getting the basic's shipped back here to uk I did not get a rentry permit before I left and still have my green card I am starting to think maybe come january if we are still dfinding things are no better moveing back and liveing with wife's family till we get an apartment of our own we have left enough in our bank account to survive for over a year wonder if anyone else has felt this way
You have only been back in the UK for about three weeks! How can you possibly be saying you might have made a mistake so early?

Have you been looking for a job? What responses have you had? According to your posts you left Florida because you had not been able to get work for months following a move from somewhere else. What work are you looking for?

The UK has not changed that much in 8 years so what were you expecting?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

How does your wife feel? I have to agree that three weeks probably isn't very long to really decide one way or the other, or is it? Maybe you were trying to run away from something here? Don't know, but maybe you both need to sit down and figure out where you're going to go from there. Give yourselves a time limit, but really make an effort and see if the UK is really going to work out.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

I am not expecting to find work right away.I am not running away from anything in USA. And all my family are here in the UK.

And as for Jeff hope you can read this better I will see how things go here before I decied on what to do next and if my wife want's to return to USA then that's what we will do.