Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Wikiposts

This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:29 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of
Default Re: This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
You can sub-lease in CA if your lease allows you to. You cannot take your name off the lease if you do so because it is just that... a sub-lease. You would still be responsible to pay rent to the landlord if your tenant defaulted.
It's a 1 bed flat so I think it would be difficult to add someone to the lease
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
We just moved over by my husbands work from the UK.
He has worked there less than a month and now he has been informed that his job is 99.9% certain to be made redundant.
Has anyone else had this happen to them?
That's annoying and upsetting to say the least. I had something similar happen back in 2002, although the company I was working for managed to tell be the job was no longer available (they closed the data center) two whole weeks before we were due to move. By then the house, cars and pretty much everything else were sold.
Because my wife was a US citizen, and because there was plenty of time between being offered the job and needing to be there, we went down the married visa route so we were still able to move. There was just no nice job waiting for me.
Hope it works out for you in some way. Best of luck.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:40 am

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
That's annoying and upsetting to say the least. I had something similar happen back in 2002, although the company I was working for managed to tell be the job was no longer available (they closed the data center) two whole weeks before we were due to move. By then the house, cars and pretty much everything else were sold.
Because my wife was a US citizen, and because there was plenty of time between being offered the job and needing to be there, we went down the married visa route so we were still able to move. There was just no nice job waiting for me.
Hope it works out for you in some way. Best of luck.
That is also a pretty crap situation glad you were able to get there as planned
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:51 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh this is really crappy and I really feel for you, believe me when I say I know what you are going through.

If you are here on L's try and find a job that will sponsor hubby for a H visa, I believe there are still some visa's available. This will be difficult but not impossible, probably your only route to staying in the US.

I believe you can transfer your L visa to a temporary visa to give you time to sort out your stuff, look into this, otherwise when the L visa ends you officially have 2 weeks to leave the country.

Try and get the company to be sympathetic to your situation, being on an L visa the company have no legal responsibility to pay for you or your posessions to go back to the UK.

If you just need a chat and a grumble drop me a pm, after going through a very similar shit time recently I can offer plenty of sympathy.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:52 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
Yes not been the best start to our new lives here.

We have signed a years lease on the apartment not sure what happens about that if we do have to leave.
you give them the keys back.

what they gonna do?

sorry to hear of all this though.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
you give them the keys back.

what they gonna do?
Keep the deposit. They probably wouldn't waste their time pursuing the rest for someone about to leave the country.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets be practical, if he is made redundant and the company is in big trouble, time is not on his side, he needs to get what he can as soon as he can. Sounds like he is on a US contract which tend to be less generous.

Job, well you would work that one as best you can, US or UK. I do not know if you are reliant on 2 incomes, H1 not a good option if you are.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 7:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Ahh this is really crappy and I really feel for you, believe me when I say I know what you are going through.

If you are here on L's try and find a job that will sponsor hubby for a H visa, I believe there are still some visa's available. This will be difficult but not impossible, probably your only route to staying in the US.

I believe you can transfer your L visa to a temporary visa to give you time to sort out your stuff, look into this, otherwise when the L visa ends you officially have 2 weeks to leave the country.
H1's are still available I think, just.

The change of status to B2 to allow time to clear stuff out...
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by N1cky

Try and get the company to be sympathetic to your situation, being on an L visa the company have no legal responsibility to pay for you or your posessions to go back to the UK.

If you just need a chat and a grumble drop me a pm, after going through a very similar shit time recently I can offer plenty of sympathy.
Hi

Many thanks for your email OH is on a H1-B so it is not as bad as an L1 but things still look very uncertain.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lets be practical, if he is made redundant and the company is in big trouble, time is not on his side, he needs to get what he can as soon as he can. Sounds like he is on a US contract which tend to be less generous.

Job, well you would work that one as best you can, US or UK. I do not know if you are reliant on 2 incomes, H1 not a good option if you are.
I am unable to work as he is on a H1B
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You mentioned L in your prior posts.

An advantage in this case IF he can find another job.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
You mentioned L in your prior posts.

An advantage in this case IF he can find another job.
OH has always be on a H1-B I know now that this is better than a L1 even though we didn't think it at the time as I am unable to work.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about this BadgerNaboo...I hope something turns up for your husband.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 10:50 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Thats tough luck - sorry to hear it.

Did you get a diplomatic clause in your lease? If so, that will likely be the limiting factor. When we're renting out, most of our tenants are from overseas, and without fail they always ask for a DC. We currently have an Exxon placement guy, and he wanted a 30 day Diplomatic Clause!! We refused, and eventually he agreed to 6 months which I think is reasonable - I prefer 12 months, but 6 is the minimum we always agree to and its never bitten us. The surprising thing (to me) is the number of landlords that agree to 1 month!!!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear this especially as you've only just got here and haven't even recuperated the costs yet. If you can manage to get by without income for a few months, do what we did if you want to stay. My OH was on a H1B and he transferred to a B2 which took 2.5 months to process, making him legally allowed to stay which gave him time to get something else. He lost his job in Dec and started again in June. You're probably not in the right frame of mind but you maybe could see if you could secure a visa for yourself?
I wish you lots of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.