Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Wikiposts

This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: This was not suppose to happen (not this quickly)

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I'm pretty sure that none of that is accurate, but I don't know for sure.
I'm pretty sure that another company can take over the H1B but I the rest (like paying to ship back your belongings etc) is entirely a matter of negotiation with the employer.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:36 am
Just Joined

winterbird is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no expert, but one can always check:

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1...bloss-faq.html
Old Oct 29th 2010, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to read about all your problems at the moment. Hopefully things will start to look positive real soon.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, that's a horrible position to be in. I would start trying to negotiate for a severance package to cover the cost of relocating back to the UK - you've got nothing to lose by doing this at this point. And concurrently trying to find another employer willing to sponsor an H1, although in this economic climate I doubt that's going to be easy. As for the lease, you're legally responsible for the rent until the place is re-let. And the landlord is required to make a good faith effort to find another tenant.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

The company I work for went through an attorney(for my visa when I moved from Australia). The attorneys were in charge of drafting up the job offer (signed off by the HR department of course). I didn't negotiate but it has a line saying something to the effect of 'if they let me go, then they need to pay reasonable cost to send me back home'. I didn't ask for that but I think / I guess the attorney must have played a part. May be they were using a standard format for the job offer or may be some code of conduct dictates they haev to include such a statement. i don't know.

Anyway, my sincere well wishes.....
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly my sympathies, I just do not know what else to say.

They came over on a L Visa, so no transfer option.

Is he being made redundant by just the US operation, can he go back to his UK job?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:01 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Thank you very much for your thoughts seems crazy nine months is spent dealing with visas and moving us over here and now this. I guess this proves there really is no job security.

We sold our house in the UK (and gave away most of our things, have just brought all US appliances)

Also just enrolled on a US course that was paid in full

Still to unpack some boxes here.

Not sure where OH stands over redundancy I know in the UK you have to be employed two years but he had been with the company just over a year there but he started a new contract here.

Hopefully they will be fair.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:02 am

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
Firstly my sympathies, I just do not know what else to say.

They came over on a L Visa, so no transfer option.

Is he being made redundant by just the US operation, can he go back to his UK job?
It will either be a drastically reduced work force for the whole company or it will no longer exist at all so the option is unlikely.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 5:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgerNaboo
We have signed a years lease on the apartment not sure what happens about that if we do have to leave.
Depends on what you had in your lease.

Can be anything from tough shit, you've got to pay a years rent to the more reasonable, you have to stay till you find a replacement, or pay costs of finding a replacement and the rent in the mean time.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winterbird
Is he on H1B visa? Then he can find another new employer over here, there is a grace period, if you all want to stay. And I believe even if you have to move back, the company need to compensate your moving expenses.

But yeah, it sucks.
Company if on a H1 is only responsible for the flight home for the principle visa holder, nothing more unless it's in the contract....but it would have been a rubbish contract not having such a redundancy clause in the first place.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on what you had in your lease.

Can be anything from tough shit, you've got to pay a years rent to the more reasonable, you have to stay till you find a replacement, or pay costs of finding a replacement and the rent in the mean time.
CA law is pretty clear on this situation. See the section on "No Legal Reason" in this link:

http://www.caltenantlaw.com/breaklease.htm
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just the US office that's in financial trouble? I think you should contact the UK office you came from, explain what has happened (if they don't know) and see if they can do anything for you. Pull on the heartstrings of anyone who was involved in your relocation, just in case they can do something for you now. Remember right now you're still an employee of their company, and they might be able to transfer you to a job back there. They clearly owe you, not that that means anything legally.

And really look at your contract, just in case something in there can be used to your advantage.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
CA law is pretty clear on this situation. See the section on "No Legal Reason" in this link:

http://www.caltenantlaw.com/breaklease.htm
Isn’t it true that you could find a sub-tenant (sub lease) yourself, add them to the lease and in a week, request your name be taken out?
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by E3only
Isn’t it true that you could find a sub-tenant (sub lease) yourself, add them to the lease and in a week, request your name be taken out?
You can sub-lease in CA if your lease allows you to. You cannot take your name off the lease if you do so because it is just that... a sub-lease. You would still be responsible to pay rent to the landlord if your tenant defaulted.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Jscl
Is it just the US office that's in financial trouble? I think you should contact the UK office you came from, explain what has happened (if they don't know) and see if they can do anything for you. Pull on the heartstrings of anyone who was involved in your relocation, just in case they can do something for you now. Remember right now you're still an employee of their company, and they might be able to transfer you to a job back there. They clearly owe you, not that that means anything legally.

And really look at your contract, just in case something in there can be used to your advantage.
No I'm afraid it's from the UK office effects staff across the globe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.