Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not Just Healthcare; Prescription Plans Are Very Important

Not Just Healthcare; Prescription Plans Are Very Important

Old Mar 8th 2017, 5:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not Just Healthcare; Prescription Plans Are Very Important

Originally Posted by bugsybuz
We just discovered how ridiculous this can be here. The same meds we used to purchase in Australia for $50 AUD, which we thought was expensive, are over $400 here??!! And no generic brand available How is this justified? We've been trying to navigate and understand the health plans for the best part of the day
If you're on a tourist visa why are you trying to understand health plans?

Shame you couldn't bring enough of your meds to cover the length of your stay, I think I would have....
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

bugsybuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
If you're on a tourist visa why are you trying to understand health plans?

Shame you couldn't bring enough of your meds to cover the length of your stay, I think I would have....
Because we are looking to emigrate here.

We did have a minimum of 2.5 months supply when we left Aus but between there and now some have somehow gone missing??
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not covered by your Travel Insurance?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not covered by your Travel Insurance?
Might be a pre-existing condition
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

bugsybuz is an unknown quantity at this point

It is pre existing
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

Sorry should have thought of that, need to bring a sufficient supply with you. You have mentioned Canada and lots of people buy online from Canada.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have a quack's appointment tomorrow. It'll be the first one under the wife's new insurance company, so it'll be interesting to see what difference the prescriptions will be! I started a new job three weeks ago, so I'm waiting to see what the health offerings are before deciding whether to stick with her plan or go with the even newer one!

To illustrate what is being said, I am also a Type-2 diabetic and my insulin has varied from $200/month and three vials (which was a stretch for my pump!) to four vials and $5 a month! I have no idea what the new rate will be, but it could mean I have to just lay down and die if I can't afford the treatment!!

Two years ago, while with my old employer, I was carrying the cheap work insurance as well as the one from my wife (saving a bundle on the insulin alone!). My NP decided it was time I tried Chantix to quit smoking, so he called in a prescription. The cost? $278 for a starter pack (one month's supply!). That was on her insurance and it wasn't covered! I got the pharmacist to check the other insurance and it was covered 100% with NO copay!

It'll be two years in June and I STILL haven't smoked a cigarette!
Old Mar 9th 2017, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is always worth checking goodrx.com to compare prices because the difference between the price for the same drug at local pharmacies can be astonishing. A couple of years ago some antibiotics for little Miss P ranged in price from under $20 to over $120.

Yeah, mail order can save a huge amount too. A drug that Mrs P needed over ten years ago was, IIRC, going to cost $2,000 locally, but only $500 from a pharmacy in New England.

Second Pulaski on checking GoodRX. I just got new insurance and was due a refil on generic cholesterol pills. $244 on the approved prescription insurance which was a significant increase. Checked GoodRX and it's $40 at Costco. And I got out with only buying 6 months of toilet roll which is an achievement in that place.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I know in the grand scheme of things this is pathetic, really pathetic but....
in France I bought tretinoin prescription strength as an anti aging thing (recommended by top flight Harley Street derm friend) cost was 3 euros a tube. 3 effing euros!!
The same stuff here has to be prescribed by a dermatologist ($20 co-pay) and insurance won't cover it so its a minimum of $75 with a coupon.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

in France I bought tretinoin prescription strength as an anti aging thing (recommended by top flight Harley Street derm friend) cost was 3 euros a tube. 3 effing euros!!
The same stuff here has to be prescribed by a dermatologist ($20 co-pay) and insurance won't cover it so its a minimum of $75 with a coupon.
How much do your "heavy legs" meds cost in the US?
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy 10 tubes and get a free plane ticket to France.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:34 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
How much do your "heavy legs" meds cost in the US?
on this note....

my friend in France has put on some weight over the last few years, it's been a stressful difficult time for her. So, her GP has just prescribed 3 weeks at a spa in the pyrenees - all her food prepared by a dietician (menus look amazing of course), swimming every day in the thermal water, walking in the mountains. She has to pay a small contribution to the cost of the hotel but that's it. She's going next month and leaving her hubby to look after the teens.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:41 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by mrken30
Buy 10 tubes and get a free plane ticket to France.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

on this note....

my friend in France has put on some weight over the last few years, it's been a stressful difficult time for her. So, her GP has just prescribed 3 weeks at a spa in the pyrenees - all her food prepared by a dietician (menus look amazing of course), swimming every day in the thermal water, walking in the mountains. She has to pay a small contribution to the cost of the hotel but that's it. She's going next month and leaving her hubby to look after the teens.
That is quite funny, and explains why such systems have the issues they do.

Similar in the US where you see all the adverts for devices free on Medicare, we do the paperwork.

I think it was WashPo that had an article on Alzheimer's and how it would by itself break Medicare and Medicaid.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:55 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Boiler
That is quite funny, and explains why such systems have the issues they do.

Similar in the US where you see all the adverts for devices free on Medicare, we do the paperwork.

I think it was WashPo that had an article on Alzheimer's and how it would by itself break Medicare and Medicaid.
Actually, this kind of treatment saves money in the long term both on mental health issues and on physical diseases like obesity and diabetes. Lower rates of those last 2 also mean lower rates of alzheimers too.

The french health system is fabulous both in terms of what it offers, the outcomes and financially, it spends 6% less GDP than the US does. And france covers everyone.
another example? Another friend had a small breast cancer, annual mammograms after the age of 40 meant that it was caught small, she was treated surgically within 2 weeks and is undergoing a mop up of radiation therapy daily for 5 weeks. Cost was nothing. zero. Imagine that, not having to worry about the health care bills. No wonder France has the best 5year survival rate in the world for breast cancer......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.