Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

Old Jul 10th 2007, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

[QUOTE=AmerLisa;5037906]
Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
This might not go down well here, but the other thing to remember is that it is a kindergarten teacher we're talking about here. His/her focus through the year is going to be on teaching very young kids basic skills and there's going to be relatively limited reading and writing involved, surely?
/QUOTE]

Actually that isn't entirely true. Basic skills should be taught in pre-school, certainly not kindergarten. I know it varies state by state, but my daughter just finished kindergarten and she was assessed at the beginning for what basic skills she knew. They do like the children knowing shapes, colours, numbers, alphabet, certainly makes their job easier (kindergarten teachers.) My daughter's class started a reading program almost instantly and were writing in their journals after they returned from Christmas break. The class were pretty ready and the teacher was able to start a group of them on the Accelerated Reading (AR) program. Thankfully my daughter was in a full day kindergarten and had a very motivated teacher.
Thats just what my Son did with full time early learning program, not all State's have it. Next step is Kindergarten in September, at the moment started summer school yesterday, only mornings though but very important I feel at this young age, summer break far to long otherwise.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:34 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
My daughter's class started a reading program almost instantly and were writing in their journals after they returned from Christmas break.
Blimey!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

I would hope basic skills would be taught in PRE school. Not in daycare, that's emphasising childcare, not academic preparedness.

Pre Kindergarten, at least in NC, boasts about the basics learned during that term. Heck, even the children's television for preschoolers (like Sesame Street, been around for what, 20 years?) focuses on numbers 1-20, the alphabet, how certain mechanical processes work, emotional aptitude (recognising another's sadness, anger, happiness, etc), personal grooming, nutrition, hygiene, chores, bedtime, reading books, exercise, dealing with difficult situations and fear, etc, etc.

I never expect school to be the alpha and omega of my child's learning. But I do expect the stated objectives (stated by the school's policy lit and communication from the Principal and teachers) to be fulfilled.

As every school keeps encouraging parents to be more, not less involved, it is a partnership more than ever. We filled out every form, got the full physical for our child from the doctor, signed every form necessary, bought the school supplies, packed a health snack and lunch, dressed him as instructed, got him there on time, supervised the homework, asked about his day, talked about situations he encountered, reviewed teacher's name, etc. We are 'with the programme', believe me.

Haven't heard back from the teacher after sending my email to her, btw.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:07 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
Well yes ... but I don't though, which is why I am so intolerant of it. It's not so much place names that irks me, I used to pronounce Michigan wrong and corrected it when it was pointed out to me. If Alabamans want to say Birmingham that's their prerogative.

It is things like the Renualt incident that bother me, the French pronunciation takes precedence or is actually the correct one imo, but to tell me I'm not speaking correctly because I don't pronounce the t. In a dealership where somoene's actually trying to sell cars nonetheless. Now, I think its laughable, at the time I was fuming.

I agree with you. No adult should be correcting the speech of another!
Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:45 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
Pre Kindergarten, at least in NC, boasts about the basics learned during that term.

I never expect school to be the alpha and omega of my child's learning. But I do expect the stated objectives (stated by the school's policy lit and communication from the Principal and teachers) to be fulfilled.

As every school keeps encouraging parents to be more, not less involved, it is a partnership more than ever.
Every state boasts about their education system, sadly many don't deliver. The stated objectives are there to please the school board and the voters, not the parents. And the parents have to become more involved because the schools do not get enough money to operate otherwise. Without parent volunteerism the schools literally could not run. We log volunteer hours at our elementary school and every year the parents put in enough equivalent hours for at least 10 more full-time paid staff (for a school of 500 kids), and no, they aren't gossiping in the lunchroom, they (we) are really working.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 10:08 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Every state boasts about their education system, sadly many don't deliver. The stated objectives are there to please the school board and the voters, not the parents. And the parents have to become more involved because the schools do not get enough money to operate otherwise. Without parent volunteerism the schools literally could not run. We log volunteer hours at our elementary school and every year the parents put in enough equivalent hours for at least 10 more full-time paid staff (for a school of 500 kids), and no, they aren't gossiping in the lunchroom, they (we) are really working.
I used to be there every week when my kids were at school, helping out in some way or other.

You hit it in one bunny. They look ever so good on paper, but in practice, most suck.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:26 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I used to be there every week when my kids were at school, helping out in some way or other.

You hit it in one bunny. They look ever so good on paper, but in practice, most suck.
We lived in 3 different states through my kid's school years, because of OH job transfers. None of their schools sucked - we were pleased with all of them. How many schools did you try TT?
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:31 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mallory
We lived in 3 different states through my kid's school years, because of OH job transfers. None of their schools sucked - we were pleased with all of them. How many schools did you try TT?
3. All in good parts of town.

I do live in Florida, after all, where the oldies outnumber us by a few million, and education has never been seen as very important down here.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am with you on this one.

My 3 year old received loving care at the pre-school I used but no education.

Being a foundation teacher I found the amount of tracing from printed out work sheeets she did amusing, this is one thing that stopped in the Uk many years back.

Erin was in a class with children from 2-4/5 and there was no scaled work for them to take into account their ability, it was not long befor she refused to go saying it was boring.

My eldest daughter who started as a freshman was offered maths, english, history and science in Oct last year, the classes were full and she would of had those 4 lessons untill Sept this year!.

She will now be taking 11 GCSE exams in May 08, had she have got a high school diploma in the US it would be worth 5 GCSE's.

This is why we moved her back.

Having said all that I just got her school report yesterday and 2 teachers cant even spell her name right!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:35 am
Account Closed

When are you leaving loopy? Mine are taking 10 iGCSE's next year Or that's the plan anyway. We'll have to see how it works out. Teenagers, can't make up their minds.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

deniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to alldeniseincarmel is a name known to all

I would just tell her about the misspelled words by asking her if she forgot to use Spell Check. But, was this last year? As it is JULY and I can't see when you wrote this, sorry, I would say your window of opportunity is gone. But, in future, teachers really appreciate constructive advice from parents in the form of asking, not threatening.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
3. All in good parts of town.

I do live in Florida, after all, where the oldies outnumber us by a few million, and education has never been seen as very important down here.
I have been in the Uk for nearly 4 weeks!

Dave went back a week ago to the US but me and the girls wont be joining him as his ever so delightful company have messed him around again so he is packing up our things as the removal company collect on Thurs, then theres just the little westie to sort.

Loving being back, got myself a car and love bombing about on familiar roads.

Girls all happy and settled back into school and my garden is starting to look like it should again.

Also decorated lots so alls clean and ready for my stuff coming back.

Weather has been good today but other than that pretty vile for July.

Went into Great Yarmouth the other day and no its notas nice as short hills but its not a place I go often!

Have applied to the UEA to do a degree in nursing and am awaiting news on that and hubby has a couple of things in the pipe line.

All in all happy to be back but really sad that after getting us over there they treated us so bad, we are dissapointed that its ending this way but onwards we go!!!

xxxx
Old Jul 14th 2007, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loopylorns
I have been in the Uk for nearly 4 weeks!

Dave went back a week ago to the US but me and the girls wont be joining him as his ever so delightful company have messed him around again so he is packing up our things as the removal company collect on Thurs, then theres just the little westie to sort.

Loving being back, got myself a car and love bombing about on familiar roads.

Girls all happy and settled back into school and my garden is starting to look like it should again.

Also decorated lots so alls clean and ready for my stuff coming back.

Weather has been good today but other than that pretty vile for July.

Went into Great Yarmouth the other day and no its notas nice as short hills but its not a place I go often!

Have applied to the UEA to do a degree in nursing and am awaiting news on that and hubby has a couple of things in the pipe line.

All in all happy to be back but really sad that after getting us over there they treated us so bad, we are dissapointed that its ending this way but onwards we go!!!

xxxx
What a great attitude you have Loopy...all the best.

PS Don't forget to keep us up to date.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What a great attitude you have Loopy...all the best.

PS Don't forget to keep us up to date.
Thanks Jereygirl - I appreciate all the kindness I have received from you lot!

So so sad that it went the way it did, could have been so different but guess we drew the bottom straw with his compnany.

Have worked for American companies for years but normally with a English boss so guess theres the difference.

Regret what you dont do though is the way to think, if we had not of tried it we would of wondered forever.

Enjoy the weather there today, its raining here!!

Love to you all Lorna xxxx
Old Jul 15th 2007, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

A hug to you dearie