Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Not impressed with son's Kindergarten teacher

Originally Posted by hatfield1
15 glue sticks? What the smeg for?
Presumably, gluing bits to other bits? I don't know, I didn't ask. I probably should have.

But 450 gluesticks for the year? At a state school, no less?

And at the Meet the Teacher, they asked for a bunch of other items from the parents, like play doh, more glue sticks (FFS! Starting to sound like a terrorist plot involving adhesive), more gallon sized plastic bags....
Old Jul 6th 2007, 8:49 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the fact it’s a state school doesn’t mean much. The teacher often have to spend there own money out of pocket to by supplies for the class room. I think it’s something like $200 a year per teacher. Perhaps it’s not that way for kindergarten. Sounds like they could get underwriting from Elmer’s and Ziploc.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
He starts school next week (hello, year round schooling) and we met his teacher recently and received a big folder with all sorts of instructions, rules, etc. (as a side note, I cannot believe the amount of lit devoted to discipline, weapons at school, etc. Crikey)

My son did Reception in England and loved it. His teachers were fab, he learned a great deal and I loved the parents of his classmates. Fantastic experience all around.

His Kindergarten teacher seems nice enough but her letter to parents is worrisome. Some examples:

'This is my first year here at ________ Elemematy.'

'Kindergraten is a very important....'

'...love for learning that your child can carry through out his/her learning carrer.'

She's been a teacher for eleven years, fwiw. But really, is it too much to expect proper spelling when it's correspondence from teacher to parents?

I spoke with her about the pledge (they do this every morning) and she confirmed it is optional, so at least she is aware of that constitutional amendment. But when I mentioned that my son may use British English terms, she said, 'Oh,yes, we had a child from England last year and we all asked her to speak because we just luuuuuved her accent!' and 'this girl used to say things and I would tell her, 'well, yes, but in English we say it this way.'

Missing England a lot right now...
OMG! That's pretty sad. It just highlights how important it is to stay on top of your child's education. People think they can send Junior off to school and expect all their education to magically happen there.......so very wrong. I do hope you stay on top of what your child should be learning. If you have questions/concerns don't hesitate arranging an appointment with the principal.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

He starts school next week (hello, year round schooling) and we met his teacher recently and received a big folder with all sorts of instructions, rules, etc. (as a side note, I cannot believe the amount of lit devoted to discipline, weapons at school, etc. Crikey)

My son did Reception in England and loved it. His teachers were fab, he learned a great deal and I loved the parents of his classmates. Fantastic experience all around.

His Kindergarten teacher seems nice enough but her letter to parents is worrisome. Some examples:

'Kindergraten is a very important....'

'...love for learning that your child can carry through out his/her learning carrer.'

She's been a teacher for eleven years, fwiw. But really, is it too much to expect proper spelling when it's correspondence from teacher to parents?

I spoke with her about the pledge (they do this every morning) and she confirmed it is optional, so at least she is aware of that constitutional amendment. But when I mentioned that my son may use British English terms, she said, 'Oh,yes, we had a child from England last year and we all asked her to speak because we just luuuuuved her accent!' and 'this girl used to say things and I would tell her, 'well, yes, but in English we say it this way.'

Missing England a lot right now...
It irked me when my daughter would lose marks for the spelling of words such as colour, jewellery etc.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 6th 2007 at 9:45 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I'd get your child tested on basics and see if he shouldn't be in first grade. If the teacher he'd get is a better match, I'd go for it.
I totally agree with this. If your child is the oldest and knows how to read, write, simple maths, then why should he spend a whole year learning how to do it all over again? Children going into first grade are not going to be that advanced socially. Especially since your child has already had a year of school (if not more if he was at nursery.)
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It irked me when my daughter would loose marks for the spelling of words such as colour, jewellery etc.
6 weeks after starting 6th grade we went to my son's parent/teacher conference and realised that he was having points deducted for spelling mistakes. We told the teacher that he was actually spelling words the way he had been taught in England. Her reply was that he now needed to learn the real english way of spelling. My husband kindly told her that it was her that may be needed to learn the real english spelling and not the american/english version.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

What if she wrote this before school started, as is undoubtedly the case? When no school child is demanding her attention?

I can certainly volunteer to type up her letters to parents, if success at handling small children and proper spelling are mutually exclusive. But I do think it odd that right out of the gate, she is making these mistakes.

But then, every child is required to bring 15 gluesticks, a box of tissues, liquid soap, a box of anti bac wipes, a box of gallon sized plastic bags on the first day of school. (That's 450 gluesticks...my son never glued this much in England!) This is government funded schooling? Something seems way off with this.
Its actually tax funded in the local area with property taxes in most cases
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It irked me when my daughter would loose marks for the spelling of words such as colour, jewellery etc.
I believe it's 'lose', but then grain of salt coming from me with 'npt impressed...'
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Its actually tax funded in the local area with property taxes in most cases
Ah, now that makes sense. We have some low property tax rates here in Wake County, North Carolina (and some terrible roads!)

Time to raise taxes, methinks.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it's 'lose', but then grain of salt coming from me with 'npt impressed...'
Oops.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:54 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

What if she wrote this before school started, as is undoubtedly the case? When no school child is demanding her attention?

I can certainly volunteer to type up her letters to parents, if success at handling small children and proper spelling are mutually exclusive. But I do think it odd that right out of the gate, she is making these mistakes.

But then, every child is required to bring 15 gluesticks, a box of tissues, liquid soap, a box of anti bac wipes, a box of gallon sized plastic bags on the first day of school. (That's 450 gluesticks...my son never glued this much in England!) This is government funded schooling? Something seems way off with this.
Most teachers ask the parents for donations of school supplies. My daughter is going into 6th Grade and we have always donated. Personally I don't see the big deal. As for the spelling mistakes, just forget about them. There have been many times my child came home with something misspelt from a teacher and like someone else said it's because a helper typed it. The rules are the rules same as any school, no weapons, etc. Just make sure your child gets settled quickly and not worry about all the other stuff.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that's a lot of sniffing
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to like making no end of stuff to put on your fridge
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:38 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandpete
6 weeks after starting 6th grade we went to my son's parent/teacher conference and realised that he was having points deducted for spelling mistakes. We told the teacher that he was actually spelling words the way he had been taught in England. Her reply was that he now needed to learn the real english way of spelling. My husband kindly told her that it was her that may be needed to learn the real english spelling and not the american/english version.

I don't quite understand this. If you are in the USA you should use the USA spelling. American spelling is not acceptable in British schools so why should the reverse apply?
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

I'd be ****ing worried too....if she is teaching your kid spelling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.