Reload this Page >

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
How is it that the Americans have not yet "discovered" the tasteful joy that is fresh, still warm from the bakery, wholemeal bread? Or warm/hot wholemeal rolls?
Sorry for the confusion, I meant I miss the taste of the old wholemeal bread which I used to get from the Sainsburys. You can easily get the US version of wholemeal here, but they call it "wheat" bread, and even though there's hundreds of different kinds to choose from, so far I haven't found any that taste like the type I used to eat. Same with white bread, which as we've discussed earlier in this thread, tastes very different because of all the sugar and corn syrup that's in it it. Toast soldiers with eggs just aren't the same...
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Excellent yogurt; expensive as heck here in my neck of the woods and it never seems to go on sale but well worth it.....
They are expensive, but so so good. I think they're Canadian aren't they? I quite like the Chobani Greek yogurts and Wegmen's super yogurts.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
Sorry for the confusion, I meant I miss the taste of the old wholemeal bread which I used to get from the Sainsburys. You can easily get the US version of wholemeal here, but they call it "wheat" bread, and even though there's hundreds of different kinds to choose from, so far I haven't found any that taste like the type I used to eat. Same with white bread, which as we've discussed earlier in this thread, tastes very different because of all the sugar and corn syrup that's in it it. Toast soldiers with eggs just aren't the same...
I'd kill for a hunk of warm granary bread mmmmmm.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad

Now Shreddies, Whole Nut and Lucozade are a different proposition. Brought back a ton of Whole Nut at Christmas, but sadly there was no room for any Shreddies!
You can find shreddies here, not badly priced, they even have a factory making it a few towns over from me.

Yoghurt, best cheapish stuff is the Trader Joes own brand, but there's also a really nice one in Wholefoods in the glass jar, but a tad overly pricey. Most of the yoghurts are just a bit bland, syrupy and wet and the betters ones are just a tad stupidly expensive, well I'm not paying $2 for a small carton.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:11 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I mainly miss Fish and Chips, good bacon and good Sausage.

Yesterday I went to see a chap who happened to be from my neck-o-the-woods in England who makes English Style Bacon (Dry cured not soaked in Brine either like Galtee and Winstons) and Sausages!

The bacon was the best I've had since leaving England, the sausages were a bit too soft but maybe I've forgotten what the texture of the English sausage is like, I know they are finely ground compared to Chicago Style Sausage and American Sausage in general but they were still good!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: The nostalgic food cravings of Brits

Originally Posted by Ridski

Next time we go over I made my wife promise we'll come back with a year's supply of Homewheat and Hob Nobs. You can get Yorkshire Tea in Whole Foods now and I need something to dunk!
Hey Ridski - you can buy McVities biscuits (inc. chocolate ones) and Hob Nobs in the Indian supermarkets on Oak Tree Road, Iselin, NJ (same exit as the Metropark on the GSP). It's where all the Indian expats live - and a good place to go for a curry!

http://www.indianj.com/oaktree/default.asp

You can get Walker's crisps, Quavers, Maltesers, choc bars, Easter Eggs in season and sometimes Bisto Gravy (packets or granules) at "Gary's" wine shop on the main Rt 124 in Madison, NJ.

If you can't find what you want, right next door is Stop&Shop supermarket and in the international aisle (and sometimes scattered around the shop in odd places) you will again often find British (and Irish) stuff ie. biscuits, pickled onions, tins of Heinz sponge puddings etc. Prices tend to be quite a bit cheaper than Gary's too. Also the big Stop&Shop on Rt 22 in Watchung is a good source of British groceries....and if you ever go into a Wegman's (the best supermarket chain in NJ and sadly, none near our towns) again you can find Brit foods too.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

LBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really niceLBJR07 is just really nice

Bread was a big thing for me try Italian or "Artisan" bread usually more expensive but the closest I found to Tesco bakery bread and good with Marmite. I really miss cheap and varied fish which isnt Talapia or shrimp
oh and pasties meat pies and proper gravy
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:27 am
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LBJR07
Bread was a big thing for me try Italian or "Artisan" bread usually more expensive but the closest I found to Tesco bakery bread and good with Marmite. I really miss cheap and varied fish which isnt Talapia or shrimp
oh and pasties meat pies and proper gravy
Italian White from Breadsmith is very close to a good English white bread, the crumb is a bit more open than the in store bakery white bread but it's close.

I'm going to try making some Stottie cakes soon as well to go with my new found bacon and sausage! It'll bring back that 6AM at the Market feeling.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Lakersdarge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh and I just remembered those Fox's Classics.
Oh man, this has to be one of my most wanted of all! There are 1000s of cookie varieties here, but as far as I know there is literally NOTHING like this available. Do they still make them? Drool...

As for other british biccies, when I want a wagon wheel, one of those "Pinwheel" cookies is a good substitute. And as many have mentioned, digestives are available if you know where to look...
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:16 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hd44
To the OP, have you tried bread that has been labeled up as "Italian"? That normally isn't sweet. My husband currently really likes the Italian version of the brand Wonder (it reminds me of Mother's pride etc).

I can't find any wholemeal bread I like though :-( I miss Hovis :'(
Have you tried the Orowheat Whole Grain - they make a few different varieties and they're not too bad at all. My favorite is the one that looks like it was rolled round the carpenters floor before they bagged it.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:50 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lakersdarge
Oh man, this has to be one of my most wanted of all! There are 1000s of cookie varieties here, but as far as I know there is literally NOTHING like this available. Do they still make them? Drool...

As for other british biccies, when I want a wagon wheel, one of those "Pinwheel" cookies is a good substitute. And as many have mentioned, digestives are available if you know where to look...
I think they do - I had them when we went back in 2007, should still be around now as far as I know. I'll ask me ma next time I'm talking to her, het her to pick some up

Pinwheels do a good Wagon Wheel impression - I noticed that one myself.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:52 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Well whaddayaknow - Crunchy Nut Cornflakes have made it to texas too - not only that, but they're free (with mail-in rebate..). Used to love these, so snagged a couple of boxes at HEB (Fry/99 for anyone in the area). Unfortunately not going to be able to sample them for a while as there are already 3 open cereals in the pantry and I'm a bit of a cereal nazi with the kids when it comes to too many open boxes. Aaaghh..hoist by my own petard!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Well whaddayaknow - Crunchy Nut Cornflakes have made it to texas too - not only that, but they're free (with mail-in rebate..). Used to love these, so snagged a couple of boxes at HEB (Fry/99 for anyone in the area). Unfortunately not going to be able to sample them for a while as there are already 3 open cereals in the pantry and I'm a bit of a cereal nazi with the kids when it comes to too many open boxes. Aaaghh..hoist by my own petard!!
That drives me nuts too. That and everyone eating my frosties
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

ldobson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lisa67
The only things that I can't get here that I really miss are decent sausages (our Central Market does have some frozen "British bangers" but they're not quite the same) and skips.
My son really misses pickled onion monster munch and daughter misses quavers. Luckily my OH travels a lot and can often bring back crisps if he's going to the UK or flying via LHR.
Well I buy all our British Bangers from here, they will ship Fedex ground from NYC and their British Bangers are authentic.. They also sell (and will ship) Sausage rolls, Cornish Pasties, Meat Pies (Steak, Mince and Onion, Chicken etc) and much more!

www.myersofkeswick.com
Old Jan 25th 2011, 6:48 pm
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LBJR07
Bread was a big thing for me try Italian or "Artisan" bread usually more expensive but the closest I found to Tesco bakery bread and good with Marmite.
Hey! I'm sold.

Thanks LBJ, I'll remember this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.