Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Northway, Canadian Border and Security

The Northway, Canadian Border and Security

Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Northway, Canadian Border and Security

I returned from a 3 day weekend to Kahnawake, Que about an hour ago. Other than the fact that I had to drive the last 4 hours in torrential rains, the ride was further marred by ongoing construction on the Northway which I was unaware of.

For those going to Canada via this route, be aware there is construction at exit 5 and again at 15. Also they have torn up much of the Northway northbound after Schroon Lake and in some areas it is only one lane. The same for work being done at approximately the same point on the southbound lanes.

At the border at Champlain, note that they were reconstructing the border and the wait is long. Took over 1-1/2 hours on Saturday morning and 45 minutes this morning.

Questions are plentiful by both sides. I was even asked when was the last time I was in Canada and luckily my answer matched what was on the computer when they scanned my passport. They want to know where, whom, length of visit, what route you are taking, what you are bringing in, and besides asking about fruit, veggies and other products, was asked if I had a weapon, gun, knife, pepper spray. So if you are going to cross into Canada, do yourself a favor and have your passport handy and know the answers to the questions.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Northway, Canadian Border and Security

Originally Posted by Rete
I returned from a 3 day weekend to Kahnawake, Que about an hour ago. Other than the fact that I had to drive the last 4 hours in torrential rains, the ride was further marred by ongoing construction on the Northway which I was unaware of.

For those going to Canada via this route, be aware there is construction at exit 5 and again at 15. Also they have torn up much of the Northway northbound after Schroon Lake and in some areas it is only one lane. The same for work being done at approximately the same point on the southbound lanes.

At the border at Champlain, note that they were reconstructing the border and the wait is long. Took over 1-1/2 hours on Saturday morning and 45 minutes this morning.

Questions are plentiful by both sides. I was even asked when was the last time I was in Canada and luckily my answer matched what was on the computer when they scanned my passport. They want to know where, whom, length of visit, what route you are taking, what you are bringing in, and besides asking about fruit, veggies and other products, was asked if I had a weapon, gun, knife, pepper spray. So if you are going to cross into Canada, do yourself a favor and have your passport handy and know the answers to the questions.
The Niagara and Buffalo crossings are the same and have been for several weeks now. My husband had a 5 hr wait a couple of weeks ago crossing back into the US via Lewiston. My daughter had a 2 hr wait at the normally quiet Niagara crossing on Saturday. Also construction on 81 near Binghampton causing long delays.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:52 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The Niagara and Buffalo crossings are the same and have been for several weeks now. My husband had a 5 hr wait a couple of weeks ago crossing back into the US via Lewiston. My daughter had a 2 hr wait at the normally quiet Niagara crossing on Saturday. Also construction on 81 near Binghampton causing long delays.

Thanks for the reminder on the construction around Binghamton. We don't use 81 but 17 to get to the cottage on Lake Seneca so that interchange is one that we have to get through.

I was miffed though with all the construction on the Northway. Since I hadn't heard otherwise I thought it was clear sailing. On well the trip up was nice but would have preferred sun on the trip back :curse:
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reminder on the construction around Binghamton. We don't use 81 but 17 to get to the cottage on Lake Seneca so that interchange is one that we have to get through.

I was miffed though with all the construction on the Northway. Since I hadn't heard otherwise I thought it was clear sailing. On well the trip up was nice but would have preferred sun on the trip back :curse:
One stretch said the construction is due to finish 2009.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 1:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
One stretch said the construction is due to finish 2009.

And for the last 5 years that we have been using Route 17 it has said home of the future Route 84. Still waiting LOL
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Depends when you travel up the northway, I have to do it 3 or 4 times a week.
The construction at 15 is for new bridges being built and the same at 5.
North of Albany is always bad between 3.00pm and 7.30 pm.
Add to the fact that there is a meeting at Saratoga racecourse all month.
The rain yesterday was so bad in NYC before I left to travel north it flooded the yard in Yonkers within minutes so I know how you felt. I didn't get north of Albany till 7.00pm and it was all clear by then.
This 2 weeks are the busiest for Lake George in the year, a bit like factory fortnight back home so you can't avoid traffic jams etc.
There was a horrific crash at exit 10 last friday and everything was sent up route 9, I avoided it by going through Waterford and up route 4 to right outside the house.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:08 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I bet it's just because you look so damn suspicious Rita. Had you worn a Burka and carried an AK-47 I doubt they would have given you such a hard time. I mean really- we CAN NOT have nay of those Canadian apples, or Mad Cows contaminating our scared US soil.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:02 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ironporer
I bet it's just because you look so damn suspicious Rita. Had you worn a Burka and carried an AK-47 I doubt they would have given you such a hard time. I mean really- we CAN NOT have nay of those Canadian apples, or Mad Cows contaminating our scared US soil.

True. We already let their Mad Black Irish British Canadian become a Yank.

:curse:
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:04 pm
Concierge

I reached Glens Falls at 9:15 p.m. Friday night and traffic was fine with a little sprinkling of rain. Saturday was picture perfect for driving. Construction (tearing up and repaying the Northway further north) wasn't too bad. Much more coming back on Monday around 11:00 a.m.

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Depends when you travel up the northway, I have to do it 3 or 4 times a week.
The construction at 15 is for new bridges being built and the same at 5.
North of Albany is always bad between 3.00pm and 7.30 pm.
Add to the fact that there is a meeting at Saratoga racecourse all month.
The rain yesterday was so bad in NYC before I left to travel north it flooded the yard in Yonkers within minutes so I know how you felt. I didn't get north of Albany till 7.00pm and it was all clear by then.
This 2 weeks are the busiest for Lake George in the year, a bit like factory fortnight back home so you can't avoid traffic jams etc.
There was a horrific crash at exit 10 last friday and everything was sent up route 9, I avoided it by going through Waterford and up route 4 to right outside the house.