Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:23 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Hi guys I am new to the forum I have lived in Texas for two and a half years I live in a small town about 60 miles forth of Dallas not far from the Sherman/Denison area. I'm getting used to Texas and really like it. I do miss home some times. My wife was in a major car accident recently and helping run our small child care business while she is out of action.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:25 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
Hi guys I am new to the forum I have lived in Texas for two and a half years I live in a small town about 60 miles forth of Dallas not far from the Sherman/Denison area. I'm getting used to Texas and really like it. I do miss home some times. My wife was in a major car accident recently and helping run our small child care business while she is out of action.
UIT, my husband arrived here in Houston in July from County Tyrone. Welcome to the forum.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Speedwell
UIT, my husband arrived here in Houston in July from County Tyrone. Welcome to the forum.
When I saw the Punjana package on your posts I thought there was an Northern Ireland connection. I have been to Houston a few times I really like the city.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

ModClaud is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the south. It can be challenging at times, but there are some really great people here too. And I hope your wife gets better soon!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
When I saw the Punjana package on your posts I thought there was an Northern Ireland connection. I have been to Houston a few times I really like the city.
Is Punjana a (Northern) Irish tea variety primarily then? My Dad gets it in Bolton, Lancs.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:57 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Is Punjana a (Northern) Irish tea variety primarily then? My Dad gets it in Bolton, Lancs.
Yup, produced by a Belfast company for over 100 years. Practically impossible to find in the US though; you can get some of it from drugstore.com and from the company's own website.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

Yup, produced by a Belfast company for over 100 years. Practically impossible to find in the US though; you can get some of it from drugstore.com and from the company's own website.
I was more of a Tetley man myself back home but I have discovered Red Rose here, which is sold in Albertsons.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ModClaud
Welcome to the south. It can be challenging at times, but there are some really great people here too. And I hope your wife gets better soon!
Texas is NOT 'the South'
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by civilservant
Texas is NOT 'the South'
Texas is most definitely southern.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:20 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Geographically sure, but it's not 'the South' in the cultural sense.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:22 pm
Mouthy Yank

Geographically sure, but it's not 'the South' in the cultural sense.
East Texas is. It's climatically and culturally similar to Louisiana, which it borders. Central and West Texas, as well as the city of Houston (which combines characteristics of all of Texas and many other countries to boot), are not part of the South.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

East Texas is. It's climatically and culturally similar to Louisiana, which it borders. Central and West Texas, as well as the city of Houston (which combines characteristics of all of Texas and many other countries to boot), are not part of the South.
I agree. Texas is split both geographically and culturally, with east Texas being more humid and southern culturally, and west Texas being more dry and desert-like and more like the southwestern US. It's big enough to be both, and much more.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:24 pm
Often not so civil...

Listen to me, less than 3 months and I'm bumping heads over how 'Southern' something is

(Anyway Texas is Mexican - now move along )
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Listen to me, less than 3 months and I'm bumping heads over how 'Southern' something is
You did great! lol
Old Nov 4th 2013, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

As Speedwell said it depends on what part of Texas we are standing in whether or not it is culturally considered the South here. Where I am in North East Texas would very defiantly be considered The South, although interestingly the county I live in voted 2 to 1 against secession.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.