Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Old Nov 4th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Ireland guy in Texas

Originally Posted by Speedwell
East Texas is. It's climatically and culturally similar to Louisiana, which it borders. Central and West Texas, as well as the city of Houston (which combines characteristics of all of Texas and many other countries to boot), are not part of the South.
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the words "cultural" and "Texas" in the same sentence!
(And I take, as my justification for being allowed to say that, the fact that I've lived in East Texas for 12 years!)
Old Nov 5th 2013, 5:47 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

East Texas is. It's climatically and culturally similar to Louisiana, which it borders. Central and West Texas, as well as the city of Houston (which combines characteristics of all of Texas and many other countries to boot), are not part of the South.
Iv'e always heard Dallas is where the east peters out and Fort Worth is where the west begins.
No mention of the south I know, but it was an opportunity to take a shot at Big D.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:14 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the words "cultural" and "Texas" in the same sentence!
Culture is a bit like accents....no one thinks they have one, but it's there, even if it's not what you would normally hear reading the news.....
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:08 pm
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

UIT, my husband arrived here in Houston in July from County Tyrone. Welcome to the forum.
Where in Tyrone is he from? I'm a Cookstown man (ask him, he'll know... )
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:11 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cainess
Where in Tyrone is he from? I'm a Cookstown man (ask him, he'll know... )
LOL, yeah Castlederg.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 6:36 pm
Still Glazers Out!

Cainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond reputeCainess has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, yeah Castlederg.
No kidding!? Both my parents are from the Derg- they'd probably know his family, if his people have lived there any length of time...if you want, PM me his family name. It is indeed a small world!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by civilservant
Geographically sure, but it's not 'the South' in the cultural sense.
Could sb explain what makes a place culturaly southern? I had only ever lived in Richardson in Dallas. Is that place in the cultural North? Why ? I may be moving there again so wouldnt want to go the wrong way... culturaly, that is ...
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

By 'the south' I'm referring to the states south of the Mason-Dixon Line.'the succession states, if you like.

They love grits, NASCAR, hunting and the bible!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like where I live lol
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=civilservant;10978364]By 'the south' I'm referring to the states south of the Mason-Dixon Line.'the succession states, if you like.

They love grits, NASCAR, hunting and the bible!
in the South?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh I see. Could you also tell me how I can get my wife to laugh at my jokes?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

I keep having my comments removed by some hyper ventilated wollie!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:07 am
Just Joined

ModPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey.. so I was thinking that maybe Texas is 'southern' in the same way that Donegal is Northern..?
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Carlisle401 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am in the South West!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Texas can be split in diffrent areas and fit into diffrent cultural regions of the US, North Texas, (around Dallas to the Oklahoma state line) Southern, East Texas (Tylar, Texarkana to just north of Houston) Southern, Houston Southern but very cosmopolitan, Hill Country (Austin and San Antonio) California in Texas, Pan handle Southern Rio Grande Valley Mexico under US rule, Trans Pecos (El Paso and far west Texas) Western.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.