Northampton

Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:01 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Northampton

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Oundle is full of posh public shoolboys, Corby is an industrial "new town" full of my own countrymen and both Kettering and Wellingborough don't look as if they have much going for them.
Proof, if proof were needed, that a lot of sweeping generalisations are based on truth! Couldn't agree more with the above - the Scottish Republic of Corby is truly a place to behold - although don't knock Wellingborough; a quick visit to the centre is a useful window into life in 1978.

I'd also concur with Genesis - central Northampton is to be avoided like something red and itchy. I'll freely admit that I'm not a city person, but that really is one that I'd stay a million miles from. I'll stick up for Sheffield a bit though, as I've spent a lot of nice time there and if you pick the right areas amongst all the students, then it's not a bad city at all with plenty going on and not too isolated from the rest of the world. Leeds - which is probably the most improved city in England - also has plenty to offer and if you go with one of those two, then for my money you'd be OK.

PS - Silverstone is a premier Grand Prix circuit first and foremost - forget your two wheeled shenannigans! Admittedly this is largely thanks to Donnington making a right royal cock of things, but nevertheless, credit where it's due for an old airfield come good!

Last edited by teeym; Mar 19th 2010 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Defending Silverstone!
Old Mar 19th 2010, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Luton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really nice

Well, it looks like a might not be heading to this place after all. Let me throw out a few more places, see if i can get some for insight from the helpful forum members, Derbyshire( Derby, Chesterfield), Huddersfield, Leicester, Stoke-on-Trent, good place for a single lad? Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by Luton74; Mar 19th 2010 at 11:29 pm. Reason: added info
Old Mar 20th 2010, 5:02 pm
Lord of The Pies

teeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to beholdteeym is a splendid one to behold

I currently live in Leicester and while there's nothing majorly wrong with the place (if you stay out of the wrong areas), I wouldn't say there's anything overly inspiring about it either.

To be honest, if you're young, free and single with the whole world to go for then I can think of hundreds of better places than pretty much anywhere you've listed so far. But as has been mentioned before, it's horses for courses and I don't know what you're looking for out of life. I can guess it probably won't be found in Stoke-on-Trent though.

If you're wanting to kill off the 'single' thing and are insistent on living in a city in the midlands, Nottingham always seems to be boasting of its favourable female to male ratio!
Old Mar 20th 2010, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Luton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really niceLuton74 is just really nice

Just a place with jobs(currently work at Target), decent rent, some countryside(avid runner). I am happy single. I read somewhere about the women to men ratio about Nottingham, but i also keep reading about it having alot of crime. I guess it really does not matter because where i currently live has quite a bit of crime. Thanks for the info, i'll find a place.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:29 pm
Lord of The Pies

Good luck to you - I'd come back to Sheffield again, as it sounds like it could strike a good balance for you. Rents aren't too bad, there is work available and you're surrounded by great countryside.

As you're a runner then you probably know the site, but just in case, wherever you pick, there should be a good pointer to decent running routes on http://www.walkjogrun.net .
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luton74
Just wondering if anyone has lived there. I was also considering Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle. Thanks
What about Leighton Buzzard? Its not that far from Luton-We are heading back there...Northampton-I dont like the railway station-The place seems too big.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I've just left Northampton (October 2009) to move to Indiana. Lived in NN1 and NN3 during my 11 years in the town. I am originally from Edinburgh and if I am honest I had never heard of Northampton before I met my now husband. I only moved there because husbands family lived there but would have left sooner. The villages are nice but the closer you get to the town center it is not so pleasant. There are trying to regenerate the place but it is a slow process. When people here ask us where we have come from we have found it is easier to say 'just north of London' rather than Northampton, or Princess Di's home. If we were to move back to the UK I would not move back to Northampton. Nothing wrong with the town but I would probably go back to Scotland. Housing prices have fallen a lot so we have rented out our house there rather than sell it. If you want to know what is going on in the town have a gander at the local newspaper! http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ My father in law calls it the 'Chronically Echoed'!
Everyone has different tastes so you may like it.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Not going there anymore, i chose my place but i will just keep it to myself so i can focus on going there. No place is perfect, lived in the states since '89 and this country has plenty of crap places too.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really comment as we left Northampton (NN9 West Hunsbury) 10 years ago. While we were there (7 years) we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was brought up in Rugby and taught in Daventry and Great Brington...lovely part of the world imo. Every town has it's problems though.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Not going there anymore, i chose my place but i will just keep it to myself so i can focus on going there. No place is perfect, lived in the states since '89 and this country has plenty of crap places too.
For a young single fella - LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS ALL THE WAY!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
For a young single fella - LEEDS LEEDS LEEDS ALL THE WAY!!
That was my initial choice, still considering it. I have been checking out and emailing about some rentals on rightmove.co.uk. I have to pay the 6 months rent but a least i will be good for that 6 months. Wonder how much for a rail ticket from London, about 100-105 pounds?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

That was my initial choice, still considering it. I have been checking out and emailing about some rentals on rightmove.co.uk. I have to pay the 6 months rent but a least i will be good for that 6 months. Wonder how much for a rail ticket from London, about 100-105 pounds?
I wouldn't have a clue about rail prices, but there are loads of good places to live in and around leeds (some dodgy ones to avoid also!). But it is a buzzzing city with so many improvements over the last 15 years. The added bonus is the countryside only 30 mins away. If you want any advise on good areas (depending on your age/work/city living or more suburbia), feel free to pm me

Good luck on your descion on where to live - its a biggi but exciting!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
Can't really comment as we left Northampton (NN9 West Hunsbury) 10 years ago. While we were there (7 years) we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I was brought up in Rugby and taught in Daventry and Great Brington...lovely part of the world imo. Every town has it's problems though.
My canal boat is at Hilmorton-unfortunately it sunk but I am attempting to raise it before we get back
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You can look up rail prices here. They vary depending on the time you go, whether you buy off-peak etc.

I'm originally from Leeds and I second the recommendation. Plus the trains to and from London are fast and frequent if that's important to you. Also easy to get to Manchester.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there, don't often look in here thesedays, but came across this topic and thought I'd comment, as I actually live in Northampton NOW.

I have spent most of my life in Northampton, although not originally from here. We returned here last year after moving back from Adelaide and are happy with it (although I miss Australia hugely, but that's another story!)

We live in an area called Great Billing, which is a village on the Eastern side of Northampton, not far from Wellingborough. It's a very diverse town and expanding at a rate of knots. Personally I would agree that some areas nearer the Town Centre are not particularly desirable, but generally it's quite an affluent town with great commuter links and as it's slap bang in the middle of England, provides easy travel to pretty much everywhere. There are some very pretty villages in the County, but if you like your nights out then it is obligatory to 'do' the Welly (Wellingborough) Road and the Town Centre is full of bars and restaurants.

House prices I think are really competative and you can find every type of property and area so suit every budget.

There are some lovely parks and I think plenty to do in the region. I must admit, it isn't all fabulous and I would choose areas wisely. Really, you need to come see it, but as English towns go, I reckon it's ok!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.